IGNORED

Whats difference between commodore 64, amiga, tandy

So Basically just curious on difference between these. More so on the Castlevania game. I have watched auctions on this game and they all list it as Amiga.

Here are two different auctions one says one says Commodore 64 on box but is listed as Amiga in title.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASTLEVANIA-by-Konami-Commodore-64-C64-DISK-Amiga-OVP-BIG-boxed-english-/261684509183?pt=Klassische_Computer&hash=item3ced9cb9ff&nma=true&si=oq3ESzN92IOjds7n92aV3xMO%252FIg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is one listed as amiga and says amiga on box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castlevania-for-the-Commodore-Amiga-Novotrade-Konami-/321573674809?pt=AU_PC_Video_Games_Games&hash=item4adf48df39&nma=true&si=oq3ESzN92IOjds7n92aV3xMO%252FIg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is one listed as IBM/PC tandy 1000 I seen this one sold as Amiga as well in the past.

100_1853.jpg

I've noticed people misrepresenting things like this a lot lately. Either they're really that clueless platform wise OR are purposely using popular buzzwords such as 'Amiga' in the hopes of making more money or drawing more attention.

In any event - it's really aggrevating to see and see it happening so often.

• Like 1

Yes, I'll go with ignorance and being clueless too. Many of those would be resellers who know every screw and label variation of NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1 etc games, but when it comes to computer games they can't even differ a 5.25" floppy disk from a 3.5" floppy disk, much less read what the package says about which format it is.

Generally if you get to see the content and not only a picture of the box, you can differ between C64 (5.25") and Amiga (3.5") very easily. When it comes to PC games, the older ones might have come on either 5.25", 3.5" or both at the same time, so you would have to look closely at the pictures to determine what is included.

Ok thanks, Thought I was missing something. They are just marketing incorrectly for more views. I don't know a whole lot about these systems and was wondering if they were compatible within each other. It appears they are all completely different systems. I have that tandy Castlevania, never played it but just keep it for the collector aspect. It's a cool big box.

However if it's worth $800+ I'd prolly sell it lol.

tandy 1000 is a mostly compatible PC clone (like 99.9999%) with PC jr graphics and sound upgrades before the days of better graphics cards and sound cards so its not anywhere close to the AMIGA (a motorola 68k machine)

Edited by Osgeld

Most of these systems back in the day share some form of the BASIC operating system... though the Atari ST and Amigas have a visual OS. Beyond that, it's kind of like the smart phones of today... they all basically do the same thing... make phone calls, go on the internet, etc... but they all sort of have a different way of doing it. With respect to the older computers, Atari, Commodore, etc... they all have different hardware. While much of the code might be different, some have better hardware for graphics and sound. A good game to compare is Pools of Radiance. They made that game for the Amiga, Commodore, Atari ST, Macintosh, IBM PC, and even the 8-bit Nintendo. The best version is the IBM PC version, but the sound on the Amiga was better since the IBM PC version doesn't have any sound support beyond the PC speaker.

• Like 1

I believe all non-console versions of Castlevania are very uncommon or even R4RE to the truth meaning of the word. At least I've heard the C64 version supposedly is very hard to come by, and as you know when the demand is larger than the supply, those who have something to sell can ask almost anything.

Are these even decent ports?

EDIT: why are these priced so high?

As Carlsson said, but no, they're not very good imo. NES is still the best version. The MSX version is a very solid version too, though. They are not really the same game, though, even though they have many identical rooms.

• Like 1

its ignoance and buzzword marketing, you will see apple II stuff listed as apple macintosh II rare vintage all the time

Don't forget, "Steve Jobs, apple macintosh II rare vintage, limited edition"

MarkO

There is none, all three ports are crap. None of these Konami PC ports of their console or arcade games are any good. Stick with the NES or the MSX1/2 for these.

Castlevania is particuarly pathetic on a Tandy 1000, once you enable the 3-voice music, the gameplay slows to a crawl on an 8MHz 286 Tandy.

When I search for Tandy Coco software you have to really pay attention because people will list IBM/Tandy PC software as Tandy Color Computer. Carmen Sandiego is a good example since the outer box/packaging is identical on both. You have to zoom in on that little "system requirements" sticker on the bottom left and the actual coco version has a round sticker on it indicating so. Someone not as educated on the differences could buy the wrong version.

• Like 2

When I search for Tandy Coco software you have to really pay attention because people will list IBM/Tandy PC software as Tandy Color Computer. Carmen Sandiego is a good example since the outer box/packaging is identical on both. You have to zoom in on that little "system requirements" sticker on the bottom left and the actual coco version has a round sticker on it indicating so. Someone not as educated on the differences could buy the wrong version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demon-Attack-for-the-Tandy-1000-Imagic-1984-Very-Rare-Near-Mint-Vintage-/281410452925?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item41855ebdbd

They advertise for sale the wrong version too.

That is why you should create a new daughter company and a new brand every time you introduce a new series of products. :-P

It could be worse, this TRS-80 CoCo game is listed with the keyword Nintendo, probably just in order to attract more hits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111572281660

In my view, that is outright dumb as:

1) anyone exclusively looking for Nintendo games won't buy games for a different system

2) anyone looking for TRS-80 CoCo games won't get affected if it says Nintendo too

3) this game has not been made by or licensed from Nintendo in the first place

Yet I know several seasoned, honest community members taking on this trick when they list something for sale. They add the keywords relevant for the item, then add "NOT" and an irrelevant keyword that might generate more hits but has nothing to do with the item for sale.

• Like 1

Yet I know several seasoned, honest community members taking on this trick when they list something for sale. They add the keywords relevant for the item, then add "NOT" and an irrelevant keyword that might generate more hits but has nothing to do with the item for sale.

So I should list mine as "Complete Castlevania Box Manual Tandy 1000 NOT Amiga + NOT Commodore 64" :)

• Like 1

Exactly. Not only will you generate excessive search hits, you will also make it sound like the buyer is stupid if he or she doesn't believe you in the first place, but you need to explicitely mention what it is not that you are selling.

Silver ring, NOT gold

VW Beetle, NOT Audi, NOT Porsche

Post card of Mona Lisa, NOT authentic painting

and so on

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok I just realized something. I was getting ready to sell my boxed Tandy 1000 Castlevania and realized on back side it shows images for Commodore, Amiga, and IBM. Then it hit me this was a universal box. Luckily I remembered this thread and the links I posted from prior sales. After looking at the ended auctions again I realized the only difference is the actual game itself. The box, manual, and plastic tray are all the same and universal.

If you notice in my pic the plastic tray has the 3.5" disk but look below it that tray has another spot for the 5.25" floppy. The box has a date of 1989 but the disk for my ibm has a date of 1990. My box then has a upc sticker and IBM sticker covering what I would bet my ass is a commodore 64 writing and upc.

This is what I made this thread for any I finally figured it out. There is no difference other than the media itself. :D

• Like 1

Ok I just realized something. I was getting ready to sell my boxed Tandy 1000 Castlevania and realized on back side it shows images for Commodore, Amiga, and IBM. Then it hit me this was a universal box. Luckily I remembered this thread and the links I posted from prior sales. After looking at the ended auctions again I realized the only difference is the actual game itself. The box, manual, and plastic tray are all the same and universal.

If you notice in my pic the plastic tray has the 3.5" disk but look below it that tray has another spot for the 5.25" floppy. The box has a date of 1989 but the disk for my ibm has a date of 1990. My box then has a upc sticker and IBM sticker covering what I would bet my ass is a commodore 64 writing and upc.

This is what I made this thread for any I finally figured it out. There is no difference other than the media itself. :D

Huh, interesting! Thanks for the update!