IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

7 hours ago, seastalker_returns said:

Thank you for the more updated site than AtariMania. Just checked there and can confirm the 4 games have not been dumped yet. One title does not even have a search result. They are all by the same company. No boxes- just disks with original text labels and 3 out of 4 have original instruction sheets (1 page each).

Are these utilities? Educational programs?

43 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

With all due respect, use both sites concurrently as we also have many references that don't exist elsewhere. For a number of reasons, checking both places will make the archiving process easier and more efficient, even if the disks end up on https://www.a8preservation.com first.

I agree with a particular BUT regarding preservation:

You still have many titles marked "Missing original disk image!" which are actually flux-dumped and part of a8preservation's releases.

Now if someone like @seastalker_returns tries to find out which titles still need to be preserved and buys dumps particularly for this reason, (s)he might end up buying something which was already preserved.

(Disclaimer: These dumps are quite often still valuable and needed due to the fact that many titles had several differing releases which you can only distinguish by comparing the disk dumps.)

In any other case I fully agree with your statement.

Edited by DjayBee
typo

Yes, a8preservation.com has the most accurate information in regard to original / verified dumps of commercial programs so look there first.

Now there are a number of cases where specific titles might get overlooked if you rely on the A8SP site only. For instance, you may have a missing program which has the same name as an existing entry, you'll think it has been archived already and just skip it because it is only listed on Atarimania. Note these can also be PD titles - which only Atarimania covers - that aren't necessarily less valuable than commercial offerings. I believe it's also a bad idea to fully concentrate on originals as countless programs are solely available in cracked form on disks gathering dust. We really shouldn't limit the scope.

BTW, I added tons of new entries on Atarimania these past months. For sheer visibility to the community, please add them to a8preservation.com as well. Though cracked, you're also missing some older stuff not referenced at all (like the Pressimage adventures). 

• Like 3

I put out some feelers to the suggested parties here, and hope to send these off to someone within the next week. I also must state that I have high praise for both sites of AtariMania and A8preservation, and for those offering to help preserve these. I mean no offense to anyone who offered that I ultimately do not choose. It will mostly come down to short distance, safety, (and we all only need one here to share the games with everyone.) :)

Great news!  My disks safely made their journey to Kay Savetz. Kay in turn was successfully able to back up and preserve them for the community! All disks work fine (as advertised to me when purchasing). So, it gives me great honor to present the following titles (attached)... by ALA Enterprises:

CHICKEN OUT

CONCENTRATION

SPY CATCHER

UNDERWATER CAVERN

...Also noteworthy is a new backup of Gemstone Warrior by SSI

I bought this collection exclusively for 'Chicken Out.' There is an interesting thread about my attempts to find it for a VERY VERY long time. I'm very happy the collection included 3 other non-dumped ALA titles. Sadly, no boxes nor artwork were included, but 3 of 4 titles do have their original 1 page manuals.  I've done non-cropped, hi-res 1200 dpi .tiff files of the manuals I can send to AtariMania and A8preservation (and anyone interested) through this TEMPORARY file link [service = WeTransfer] as well: https://we.tl/t-hW8DoyRT6D

When I get the disks back (or if Kay has the means and desire to scan them) I can do the disks/ labels too. I skipped the Gemstone Warrior manual but can scan it if it hasn't been done yet.

Finally, if there are actual collectors out there that are interested in owning the original disks mentioned, I'd be open to recoup some costs by selling/trading via PM.

HUGE credit and special thanks to KAY SAVETZ for preserving these titles for me so I can share them with everyone!! Thank you Kay!!

And now... ENJOY!

seastalker disks.zip

Edited by seastalker_returns
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 8

chicken out - Copy.tif

I don't know if there are file size limits here, but I've gotten PMs asking about the manuals. I think people missed that detail in the post which is totally fine. With that, and that my link will only be for seven days from the time of post: Attached here are the super overkill and non-cropped .tif scans I did of the manual sheets.

This was deliberate so that atarimania and a8preservation (and others) could use them as needed for archiving. Smaller versions are welcomed to be made from these giant monsters. Enjoy!

Admins can remove or resize them if they take up too much server space.

concentration - Copy.tif spy catcher - Copy.tif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, seastalker_returns said:

Question: IF I were to have the disks themselves scanned in high resolutions, say even once... has anyone heard of a chance that a scanner's bright light could damage or corrupt a disk when scanning on a flatbed?

Nope. I have done it hundreds of times with the jacket off with multiple scanners and they never caused an issue with the data.

Not the light, but don't place disk near SERVO motors, that's scrambled a few bits on disk or two, it depends on your scanner bed and where/what they are.

Most are shielded, weak and far enough away. Some aren't.

Test with a full disk of useless stuff, in all four corners... if no bits got mangled, you are golden.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I'm not a graphic designer or anything, but is there a reason why these scans are so high DPI?  Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for all the work everybody puts into these, but isn't typical reprint DPI like 300 and screen DPI like 72?  I mean, it's cool that you can see the fibers where the holes are cut, but just wondering from a practical standpoint.

I'm also not a graphic designer nor professional in such related fields.  At an amateur hobbyist level of restoring 35mm family slides and photos, I concur with the viewpoint that it is better to scan with SOME overkill (disks dont need my highest scanner 6400 DPI setting though), in the right scenarios. If privately, multiple sources ask for scans, I'd rather do it ONCE and let others down-convert instead of under-cooking them and being asked for redoing to cater to some ever moving goal post of a perceived 'archival quality'. I say this without disrespect to archivists- just that I am not a pro nor can keep up with every changing tech and expectations of standards.

That said, in a comedy of errors, I find that I should (justifiably) re-scan the disks as it was pointed out to me that my software cropped a bit too much of the top. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ok, these are the revised (non-cropped) scans. For lower resolutions, I'm sure they will be found on AtariMania, etc. Apologies to the forum moderators for the original bad scans 3 posts up. Feel free to delete those as needed.

Chicken Out - DISK - Copy.tif Concentration - DISK - Copy.tif Spy Catcher - DISK - Copy.tif Underwater Cavern - DISK - Copy.tif

• Like 2

6 hours ago, manterola said:

Months ago, I won an Atari lot and found some strategic games in it. I'm wondering if any of these games need to be preserved, or if they have all been dumped already. (See the pictures attached). 

Thanks!

IMG20230818222117.jpg

IMG20230818222101.jpg

All shown have been dumped in some form, but it would be worthwhile dumping them anyway if you have the hardware. Multiple dumps help verify versions as correct or add versions that may not be the same as already preserved.

• Like 3