IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

6 hours ago, manterola said:

Months ago, I won an Atari lot and found some strategic games in it. I'm wondering if any of these games need to be preserved, or if they have all been dumped already. (See the pictures attached). 

Thanks!

Is Millionaire a C64/Atari flippy disk?

If yes, then it is not dumped.

Is ML Baseball the program itself or some additional disk?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Is Millionaire a C64/Atari flippy disk?

If yes, then it is not dumped.

Is ML Baseball the program itself or some additional disk?

Millionaire is flippy (with two index holes and a second write knotch) but I cannot find any C64 mention. I still think it may need to be dumped just in case.

Regarding ML Baseball it has the Game Disk (B 1007) and one Teams Disk (B 1984). Interesting it looks like mine has different labels than the ones in the a8preservation.com

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, manterola said:

Millionaire is flippy (with two index holes and a second write knotch) but I cannot find any C64 mention. I still think it may need to be dumped just in case.

Regarding ML Baseball it has the Game Disk (B 1007) and one Teams Disk (B 1984). Interesting it looks like mine has different labels than the ones in the a8preservation.com

Thanks!

If they fit in your luggage, bring them to Fujiama.

• Haha 1

sorry i would like to provide a dump for

https://www.a8preservation.com/#/software/release/5850

but are to stupid to find a button, the thread opening and also the contribution page is not very helpful to direct my somewhere. I have registered on the page but still a VIP club. I will attach the stuff here maybe it is useful maybe not.

The stuff was dumped using a Mitsubishi MF504A with greaseweazle 1.15.1 fw 1.14 and than converted by a8rawconv 0.94

KennedyApproach_MPS_UK.zip

Edit: by the way i could also provide pictures but don't own a working scanner (anymore). Don't know if this is usefull or not

KennedyApproach_back.JPG

KennedyApproach_front.JPG

KennedyApproach_media.JPG

Edited by smesgr
added pictures
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

https://www.a8preservation.com/#/software/release/2736

recorded with an Technics TR-RS737 -> AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller (Onboard) -> Audacity 2.4.2 (cut and amplified) -> a8cas-convert 1.3.1 -> turgen 9.2.0 (removed some afaik unnecessary fsk-blocks)

can provide a wav or flac (~110 or 85MB) as "raw" data.

SoloFlight_back.JPG

SoloFlight_media.JPG

SoloFlight_cut.cas.zip

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these @smesgr

If you can supply wav or flac and ideally both sides of the tape that would be great as this is exactly what we want for the archive.

In terms of flac if you are using Audacity then please ensure the following setting is changed so that the audio isn't slightly altered in the conversion:

Edit → Preferences → Quality → High-quality Conversion → Dither” to “None”

"Atari is now taking its retro-related IP seriously and is creating a wide array of hardware and software based on that IP" is the part I'm wondering about in regards to preservation.  I'd hate the see the preservation scene go underground after all the commitment and money you guys have put into tracking all this stuff down.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Does that mean that the new Atari is going to go after all of us software preservationists I just did some digging and the new Atari is a 3rd party subsidiary from Nintendo....  That doesn't sound very good.

This would be news to me and many other people, so I'd very much like to see what you claim to have dug up.

..Al

I found it once it said that Atari is a 3rd party subsidiary of Nintendo I cannot find that article again but rest assured I will it may have been true or misquoted but i  want to find the article again and once and for all prove or disprove this.  Suffice it to say I am once again digging.

4 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I found it once it said that Atari is a 3rd party subsidiary of Nintendo I cannot find that article again but rest assured I will it may have been true or misquoted but i  want to find the article again and once and for all prove or disprove this.  Suffice it to say I am once again digging.

Yeah, that's not true, if it was, it would be widely known. But if you find anything interesting, I will, of course, look at it.

..Al

10 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I am afraid that I might be right and it's about Atari corporation , and does not say was but is. 

Yeah, that's not what it's saying, and this is a third-party wiki site that has no affiliation with either company.  Here is the page I found that you referenced above:

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Atari

This page doesn't even have the phrase, "is a third-party company for Nintendo", so that page was probably edited and Google has an old cache of that text.  But even if that text was still on the page, surely all they meant was that Atari was a third-party Nintendo licensee, since Atari released various Nintendo games (Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Mario Bros.) for a variety of Atari and third-party consoles and computers (the third-party stuff was released under the "Atarisoft" brand).  At the time, Nintendo was only producing arcade games in the video game space, and they weren't making software for consoles and computers, and the Famicom / NES hadn't come out yet.

..Al

• Like 2