IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

I'm almost sure it was Cadbury and was a little out of the main city. It was in 92 and I remember that I was walking and walking to find a store to buy some A8 games that wasn't big, maybe small where I couldn't find a dozen of budget tapes and where I first find and see the Hi-Tec games, shame those pictures on the boxes hasn't nothing to do with the A8 version :(.

I think that some minuter after the factory I got to the store and If I'm not mistaken it was with just one guy, a Pakistan or other nationality of that side of the world.

lived in UK all my life. never heard of any Cadbury factory other than Birmingham (bourneville) and Bristol (Keynsham)

The most current one is "Atari 8bit Preserved Software 2016-07-16"

The Torrent download is in this post

So please forgive me for the thick noob-ish question - but I downloaded the Torrent file clearly now in the mistaken belief it would include the games from the preserved list above but what I got was a DAT file which (trying to) read it using Notepad it looks like a load of filenames with checksums or something with them?

So can someone - patiently please - explain how this helps. Is this like the TOSEC updates I see every now & then. Not actually a zipped archive of game images but just checksums instead?

I would really appreciate a once & for all explanation. I've tried ot understand TOSEC for years & got nowhere - its like theres a hidden place whre you get the real TOSEC ROMs dump but no one will tell you where they are.

Thanks for your understanding.

So please forgive me for the thick noob-ish question - but I downloaded the Torrent file clearly now in the mistaken belief it would include the games from the preserved list above but what I got was a DAT file which (trying to) read it using Notepad it looks like a load of filenames with checksums or something with them?

So can someone - patiently please - explain how this helps. Is this like the TOSEC updates I see every now & then. Not actually a zipped archive of game images but just checksums instead?

I would really appreciate a once & for all explanation. I've tried ot understand TOSEC for years & got nowhere - its like theres a hidden place whre you get the real TOSEC ROMs dump but no one will tell you where they are.

Thanks for your understanding.

You need to open the Torrent file with a Client Program like BitTorrent where you can download all of the files in that list...

http://www.bittorrent.com/?client=bittorrent7990

• Like 1

Ah ok thanks - I used qBitTorrent & its worked for the preserved Atari preserved 8-bit software fileset.

So if you don't mind can I ask a follow-up. Dor TOSEC does the same thing apply? So is there a current TOSEC .torrent file somewhere that includes all of the games / files covered by the TOSEC project? IF so it must be absuletly ginormous? My impression is TOSEC only provides checksums but maybe I'm wrong?

Ah ok thanks - I used qBitTorrent & its worked for the preserved Atari preserved 8-bit software fileset.

So if you don't mind can I ask a follow-up. Dor TOSEC does the same thing apply? So is there a current TOSEC .torrent file somewhere that includes all of the games / files covered by the TOSEC project? IF so it must be absuletly ginormous? My impression is TOSEC only provides checksums but maybe I'm wrong?

To find other Atari related torrents, Look Here

Don't forget to check out the Atari Best Game Pack too: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226801-atari-800-best-game-pack-releases/page-29?do=findComment&comment=3647036

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1

My impression is TOSEC only provides checksums but maybe I'm wrong?

TOSEC officially provides dat checksums only I believe, and it seems their charter is collection of everything vs very specific original preservation that we're doing here.

Not to put too fine a point on it but the TOSEC filesets themselves I'd charitably describe as 'a bit of a mess'

• Like 2

It would help if everyone updated their torrent client software and then forced a recheck.... I am at 70.7... sighs...

when I look at the actual torrent the data is not 70.7 percent... something is incorrect.... bad actor in the torrent.... reseed

To the fellow using ipv6 that is stuck at zero...... go back to ipv4 or use 6 to 4.... not going to get anything the way you are configured

Edited by _The Doctor__