IGNORED

Intellivision Not Working. (Oh No!)

Hello People!

Last year I went digging through my grandparents basements and found my moms old intellivision, but sadly none of the games. So it sat in my room. Last week I went to game city and bought auto racing. I hooked everything up, put the game in and the title screen came up WOO HOO!!! wait... why wont the buttons do anything? Dafuq? I figured it must be the game, so I traded it in for astrosmash and it did the same thing. Any suggestions as to why it wont work? And I am completely open to repairing hardware myself. Or buying replacement parts.

Thanks!

Hello People!

Last year I went digging through my grandparents basements and found my moms old intellivision, but sadly none of the games. So it sat in my room. Last week I went to game city and bought auto racing. I hooked everything up, put the game in and the title screen came up WOO HOO!!! wait... why wont the buttons do anything? Dafuq? I figured it must be the game, so I traded it in for astrosmash and it did the same thing. Any suggestions as to why it wont work? And I am completely open to repairing hardware myself. Or buying replacement parts.

Thanks!

couple things to try. Press reset after turning it on. Or pull the cart out a little at a time and try. Also pressing rest each time.

Sounds to me you have a bad matrix circuit in one of the controllers loosen the screws on a controller and and try to see if it will come on if it does I would try to clean matrix circuit there are some videos on YouTube

Ill try that, but the buttons on the side and the gold wheel thingies don't work on both controllers

couple things to try. Press reset after turning it on. Or pull the cart out a little at a time and try. Also pressing rest each time.

i shouldnt read and respond while riding in a car. I read that all freaking wrong. Yeah try what he said. Edited by pimpmaul69

Bad controllers are the #1 problem I see with Intellivision consoles. I've never seen a unit where BOTH controllers do NOTHING though - ouch.

Could be just bad controllers. Or they have both come loose (unlikely, but anything is possible). Or something worse, ie: on the mainboard. Very hard to tell unless you can start swapping out parts.

Edited by freeweed

Easy thing to try is to open the unit, disconnect one of the controllers and try with just the other controller.

Another option is to open the controllers and check the plastic matrix inside. If the matrix has flaked apart it could be shorting. The Intellivision only accepts one control input at a time per controller, so if the system thinks a button is pressed, is could appear like that controller was not working.

If both controllers are not responding at all then that's a worry, although not impossible that both controllers have an issue.

If the controllers pass some basic continuity tests but still the system won't respond to the controllers, you very likely have a bad GI AY-3-8914 sound chip. The controllers connect to the logic board directly to the sound chip.

- J

• Like 1

Bad controllers are the #1 problem I see with Intellivision consoles. I've never seen a unit where BOTH controllers do NOTHING though - ouch.

Could be just bad controllers. Or they have both come loose (unlikely, but anything is possible). Or something worse, ie: on the mainboard. Very hard to tell unless you can start swapping out parts.

Remember, that if the controllers on the motherboard are plugged in BACKWARDS they will do NOTHING.

It is very easy to reinstall the controllers on an original Intellivision improperly.

• Like 2

All right, so I tore apart one controller and didn't find anything that looks bad, but I cleaned the contacts on the matrix paper shit and the contact pins with a pencil eraser. put it back together. Nothing. I currently have it apart on my desk and unplugged the controller cable wiggled it, etc. Just wondering if there's anything specific I should look for. And which way do I put the connectors back? I derpd and didn't pay attention when I pulled them off. And thanks for the fast responses guys!

Should be able to probe the controller plug for continuity to check it's working. See the info here: http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/intellivusb/index_en.php#how

Could even short pin 1 to combinations of pins 2-6 on the logic board to simulate pressing the disc, but not recommended if you can check the controller with a continuity mode on a meter.

Should be able to probe the controller plug for continuity to check it's working. See the info here: http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/intellivusb/index_en.php#how

Could even short pin 1 to combinations of pins 2-6 on the logic board to simulate pressing the disc, but not recommended if you can check the controller with a continuity mode on a meter.

Ok, so I hooked it up to my tv and tried shorting out pins to simulate pressing certain numbers on the controller. How do you start astrosmash anyways? (like get past title screen?) Anywho, I accidentally shorted one of the pins (pin 2 or 8, still not sure) on the metal shield over the logic board which must be ground and it got past the title screen and started playing the game. I tried shorting all the pins and they all started it except for one pin on the very end which was already connected to the shield. Do they all have a common ground? So for example, if i wanted key 2, according to that website, I have to short pins 8 and 2, or do i ground them? Or both? (thanks for putting up with my newb!)

K, I figured out it works. so the problem IS in the controllers. I can play the game with the controllers taken apart with me holding the contacts in place, but as soon as I put it back together, the one controller acts like the circle is always being pushed right... so i cleaned the traces that had to do with the circle and still nothing. something putting pressure on them maybe?

Ok you can (and should) stop shorting pins in case something else is accidentally shorted! According to the schematics pin 9 is ground. Pin 9 is the one closest towards the back of the console for both connectors. The shield is ground too. For Astrosmash pressing anything starts the game.

It appears that page has the pin numbers reversed. Brown is meant to be pin 9. For your controllers to be the right way round the white wire is towards the front of the console and the brown wire towards the back.

- J

K, I figured out it works. so the problem IS in the controllers. I can play the game with the controllers taken apart with me holding the contacts in place, but as soon as I put it back together, the one controller acts like the circle is always being pushed right... so i cleaned the traces that had to do with the circle and still nothing. something putting pressure on them maybe?

So that's good it is narrowed down to one controller. It is possible there is a short on the matrix somewhere or in the cable. Do you have a meter with continuity function to check?

I remember I had a non working Intellivision I tried to rescue some years back as I had an unstoppable urge to play some Burgertime. I must have spent an hour taking it apart and cleaning/inspecting it when I noticed a little burnt looking spot on the board. I figured I could find another dead one on Craigslist that maybe had a good board I could swap. It was kind of fun being the "repair guy"

When I checked Craigslist I found a working one for $15 and that was the end of that project, lol

I give credit to people who have the patience to fix things like this instead of just replacing it. It seems the older I get the more lazy I become, I paid a guy to replace the oil cooler hose in my car last month...I was a freakin mechanic for 6 years! I blamed it on the cold weather but I think Im just getting lazy. Kudos to you for fixing the Intellivision, stick with it and finish the job. It's not the money, used Intellivision systems are rather affordable. It's just staying useful and competent thats the real reward :)

• Like 4

I've repaired many INTV controllers in my life. If you have a source of spare parts (namely, the plastic circuit matrix), it's worth trying. Otherwise, a good cleaning/check of the internals is about all you can do. Unfortunately these controllers are some of the worst-built in terms of durability and repairability.

You'll want to find replacement controllers. Either from old consoles, or you can also pick up an Intellivision Flashback and then buy adapter cables or re-wire yourself. You should be able to find a Flashback for $20-40.

AtGames - PLEASE start selling replacement controllers on their own, PLEASE!!!!

• Like 2

Allright, so here was the problem: Im thinking after all those years sitting in a cold, damp basement (Probably 20-25 years), the matrix around the circle thingy had lost elasticity or whatever, and was sticking to itself or wasn't enough distance between them, etc. So you know that white circle thing on the inside of the controller that separates the two matrixes a bit ? Yeah, it was too thin. So I cut a new circle out of an old ITunes card and put it in and it worked like a hot damn! The other controller was doing the same thing, so I just cleaned the contacts like on the last one, use the other controllers white circle and this controllers white circle, and viola! It works! Now I just gotta put it all back together and play me some Advanced D&D! (I bought like 8 games today for 30$ so lots of fun ahead!) Thanks for all the help!

• Like 7

Allright, so here was the problem: Im thinking after all those years sitting in a cold, damp basement (Probably 20-25 years), the matrix around the circle thingy had lost elasticity or whatever, and was sticking to itself or wasn't enough distance between them, etc. So you know that white circle thing on the inside of the controller that separates the two matrixes a bit ? Yeah, it was too thin. So I cut a new circle out of an old ITunes card and put it in and it worked like a hot damn! The other controller was doing the same thing, so I just cleaned the contacts like on the last one, use the other controllers white circle and this controllers white circle, and viola! It works! Now I just gotta put it all back together and play me some Advanced D&D! (I bought like 8 games today for 30$ so lots of fun ahead!) Thanks for all the help!

Awesome!

As a kid, I'd tear new circles out of notebook paper to "fix" our controllers all the time. We had ours set up in the basement and we lived in a swampy area, up near the cranberry bogs in WI. High humidity was always an issue.

Wow! That gives me an idea for a stubborn controller that I just can't get to work, thanks!

• Like 1