IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

On a different note I can definitely see our CyranoJ writing a Jag core for the FPGA from scratch just to be able to close the circle.

A console that looks like a Jag, sounds like a Jag, plays like a Jag but it's not a Jag ... just 20Y of technical development to have .. you know ... a Jag ... at which point first port is gotta be "White men can't jump" ... how retro!!!!

Wait we already have that on the actual Jag ... nevermind ... the fumes, the allergy are all taking a toll, whatever meds Keatah is taking I may need a dose.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

The internet doesn't know what it's doing anymore. One moment you guys are clamoring for specs. And when they talk tech you guys say they say too much. No wonder they can't win.

Actually, I was referring to things like a $150-200 price point, an earlier Kickstarter campaign, that a hobby developer could order very small (or single) cart runs, and saying some other things that may not pan out but as he hoped. As a fellow dreamer, I was being empathetic with him. Reality is harsh, and sometimes just doesn't play-out the way we wish.

More power to him if pulls this off.

• Like 1

On a different note I can definitely see our CyranoJ writing a Jag core for the FPGA from scratch just to be able to close the circle.

A console that looks like a Jag, sounds like a Jag, plays like a Jag but it's not a Jag ... just 20Y of technical development to have .. you know ... a Jag ... at which point first port is gotta be "White men can't jump" ... how retro!!!!

Wait we already have that on the actual Jag ... nevermind ... the fumes, the allergy are all taking a toll, whatever meds Keatah is taking I may need a dose.

Hell no. I don't want anything to do worth this train wreck. Also expecting game developers to write fpga cores is a fantasy.

These guys could have done some good for at least the Jaguar community and maybe got people on side by offering to make cart shells for homebrews. But at $8 a pop for shells they failed at even that.

• Like 2

More power to him if pulls this off.

True. I'm sceptical and I wish to be proven wrong.

The communication about this system could really be better. I really don't care about the colors and the fact that is uses jaguar shells, and that they saved money by using those (so the system would be even more expensive without the Jaguar molds?). Also I'm not sure what the system has to do with 'Retro'. When I think of a new retro system, I would expect an upgraded Atari 2600 (yes, including all those handy switches, and one fire button :)).

Edited by roland p
  • Like 1

The below quote is the type of stuff that got some people excited before the feature creep grew (for better or worse). Emphasis, mine:

Hey guys!

I just wanted to address the cartridge pricing. We will be doing all manufacturing of both the consoles and cartridges here in the USA (PCB's however, will be contract manufactured and arrive to our facility as a sub assembly), under our own roof, in Southern California. Carts will be priced based on the games that are on them. For example, a new game from a fledgling indie or homebrew developer might be priced $19.99 while a popular franchise sequel might be $40-$50 depending on licensing costs mainly! And everything between. So the short answer are carts will be priced from $19.99 to $49.99.

We are targeting the console to be $149.99. The retail box will include the console with four controller ports ( x 2 USB for the x 2 pack-in controllers and x 2 9-Pin ports for classic controllers), a pack-in game (possibly up to three pack-in games only for Kickstarter buyers), HDMI cable (and possibly composite and/or S-Video too) and AC Adapter. There is a small chance this might have to price out at $179.99 based on system hardware which will be a gamers and developers delight. . . . but doing all we can to try and stay at that $150 price point.

More details will be revealed about system hardware and development criteria soon.

• Like 6

I don't understand the fixation and focus surrounding the molds. The only mold I'm concerned about is the stuff around the toilet.

He said it would save hundreds of thousands in tooling. It's likely it's much less than that, but it's really a moot point since selling the translucent Jaguar cases and carts alone paid for the molds.

• Like 2

There's a right way and wrong way to introduce a product. Especially in this day and age of instant communication.

I recall when we were kids all the information we got came from printed catalogs, magazines, and commercials during Saturday morning cartoons. But whatever the medium, print or television, we could learn about something and count on it showing up in the market shortly thereafter.

I never felt like a fool talking to my buddies about "the new game coming out". I would, however, today, be quite skeptical of saying hey I saw this, this, and this, on the internet. Check it out. That doesn't work well unless it's real product available for sale right away.

Their one saving grace is that they're avoiding the disposable digital syndrome that mobile made so popular. Sure carts will be more expensive. Are you going to pay the premium over DD? Do you think the ignorant masses of smartphone gamers will give up convenience in exchange for quality?

We should all be wishing them well instead of ragging and complaining.

ADDED:

Perhaps a couple of professional experienced developers can comment on how working with this system is different than, say, one of 30 years ago.

ADDED ADDED:

I'm a little confused about the word "Retro" being in the title. It's playing modern games written in modern languages on hardware made in modern times. All of it is now, and not 30+ years ago, which is typically what "Retro" means.

I recall Atari didn't have to explain their hardware or the name of the VCS and what it meant. We watched a 30 second commercial and got the whole idea in one shot. It was very simple. Same thing with many of the systems following - all the way through NES and even beyond. You looked at it, you read the name, you knew it was a game. And if you were even the most novice game player, you knew the consoles and the style of games each brand had.

You didn't care what was inside them. You might have cared about the "bitness" or number of colors, really basic stuff like that. Controllers and games were the most important. Today, if one system has dual TLB's or quad TLB's it makes it or breaks it. A difference of a few MB of storage might be a killer. Same thing with 2 vs. 4 USB ports. Some self-proclaimed internet know-it-all will find a reason to trash something one way or another based on an insignificant spec.

Consider some of these failed micro-consoles.. They needed pages and pages of explanation of how their sales model worked, the options, what games were available, how you could purchase them - and then subscribe to their content. Including registering an account and all that. This is simply way way too much.

Mobile gaming eliminates much of the plight above. But at the cost of delivering you a mediocre game at best. Are you willing to pay extra to have an experience like we did in the 1970's and 1980's?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

How many of you are interested in having your favorite smartphone digital download game stored in a 20yr flashrom cartridge? Do you have any? Do you think it's worth ~$50 a cart? This seems to be an important question they want to know answers to.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, that's assuming that our favorite mobile or PC indie game won't be playable on our device du jour 20 years from now. The way digital catalogs are being built and valued these days, I have to think our chances of easily playing them in the decades to come are pretty darn good. As digital becomes the de facto standard for ALL of our media, it's only natural that steps will be taken to make them accessible indefinitely. It's just good business sense and is frankly one of the better reasons for going digital in the first place.

So, with the above in mind, I think there really needs to be another raison d'être for this product, particularly at the higher price point (and frankly I think there are several potentially great reasons for such a product to exist, but a lot of it depends on what hardware they finally decide upon, among other things that need to be straightened out at this point).

• Like 2

Once they confirm they've altered the moulds can we feck this thread off into another forum?

At that point, it'll have no relevance to this one.

When this was first posted, it was all teasers and there were a few of us that thought the Jaguarness of it all might extend beyond the plastic parts. Now we know better, this belongs in modern gaming or some classic gaming general forum. But, you know, better to keep the controversy tucked away in here where it's expected... :lolblue:

Wait so they're NOT using the Jaguar molds now?

They are, but not many Jaguar fans believe that's enough to justify this $400 piece of hardware concept kickstarter having this as a home for discussion. If this was x-years ago, we wouldn't be making threads to discuss the latest version of the dental cameras from Imagin and how they might revolutionise the dental industry... a single one to say "lol, look, jaguardentalcambwaahaha" and that would be that.

Racerx was right to post the thread at the time... but now we know better and it's pretty damn annoying to think there's new posts only to see it's this modern gaming device stuff.

Edited by sh3-rg

Well, no matter the fate of the RVGS, Mike was gracious in letting us in on the translucent Jag shells. Had it not been for his pursuit of this, we wouldn't have 'em. :)

I do hope this mess gets worked out. Definitely feel there's a huge mistake in having two different sku's for the system though. Think the KISS adage applies here.

Think after this chock value they will settle for the more advanced model only.

Jaguar sold 125K plus 100K at give away prices. RVGS will aim for 7K, so of course this will be a slim and "exclusive" system.

And since when doesn't things come more expensive and since when doesn't things take lots of more time to develop?

Lets say in the end 7K to 15K supporters will own this system that will hold the prices up, and lifetime short, but a hardcore fan club and homebrews will, as they say, flourish for many decades to come.

In a way this system perplex and interests me even more as a exclusive system for the few, next to Neo and Jag in a way...

Think I'll back it just to move in the other directions upwards the stream, as will all its few supporters next to me. What ever.

No game studio will develop a game for a system with a total of 7K user base.

Even at 50US$ per game all in the pocket of the studio (as if) it's just 350K US$ total in sales (if everyone buys it, that is 100% attachment rate almost unheard of), you've gotta pay very little your gfx designer, your musicians, your level designer and your coders as well as your marketers etc....

So please "do the math!"

Edited by phoenixdownita