IGNORED

Alpine Games final run

Duranik

On 12/24/2021 at 4:36 PM, JagChris said:

I might go ahead and grab it. Just to have something made by Duranik.

It's also like one of the coolest names ever for a company.

Does Duranik have some definition or meaning I'm unaware of? I always assumed it was someone's name, like Jeff Duranik or whatever.

A Google search tells me Duranik is operated by not Jeff Duranik, but someone named Johannes Graf... so I guess it's not a surname!

I'm stumped. What makes it the coolest? :)

-

(A couple links I'm saving to read later- I'm a big Dreamcast guy, glad my curiosity lead me here!)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I grabbed this from Carl at the PRGE this last weekend. I'm glad I did. It's so far more fun than I expected.

Snowboard rush, now could any of the Lynx's contemporary handhelds pull off something like that?

I'm glad that it's able to run now on the new LCD mods. Can someone explain what changed from the early LCD upgrade days?I

Though we still don't know what Duranik means, to me phonetically it still sounds bad ass. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, JagChris said:

If this game had come out during the Lynx's commercial life I think it would have been very good for its public profile. Very very good.

It's been one of my top ten Lynx games since its release; it's a technical masterpiece. But people wanted Nintendo games in the '90s (and not Klax, as they most definitely should have), and not Atari's products, and I doubt this would have raised the Lynx's profile at all, as tragic as that is. Barring a few missteps, after all, Atari's Lynx library was stellar, and that should have been enough to propel sales if game quality was really the strongest selling point for most consumers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 10:43 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

It's been one of my top ten Lynx games since its release; it's a technical masterpiece. But people wanted Nintendo games in the '90s (and not Klax, as they most definitely should have), and not Atari's products, and I doubt this would have raised the Lynx's profile at all, as tragic as that is. Barring a few missteps, after all, Atari's Lynx library was stellar, and that should have been enough to propel sales if game quality was really the strongest selling point for most consumers.

The slalom part was real eye candy. It would have been the WOW-effects like Blue Lightning. I also like biathlon a lot once you get how the controls work. It is an amazing game. And it could have boosted the Lynx a lot. At the time the Lynx was advertised as a 16 bit system. So any game with Amiga-like fast graphics would have boosted the image of a "portable Amiga". And that would have increased sales.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, karri said:

The slalom part was real eye candy. It would have been the WOW-effects like Blue Lightning. I also like biathlon a lot once you get how the controls work. It is an amazing game. And it could have boosted the Lynx a lot. At the time the Lynx was advertised as a 16 bit system. So any game with Amiga-like fast graphics would have boosted the image of a "portable Amiga". And that would have increased sales.

Someone wasn't at the PRGE this year.

We were all looking for you but apparently you were otherwise committed. Maybe next year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JagChris said:

Someone wasn't at the PRGE this year.

We were all looking for you but apparently you were otherwise committed. Maybe next year.

I know, I was sailing from Malta to Spain on a fully rigged fregate as a deckhand. I even planned to take a Lynx and laptop with me for coding Wizzy. But I was just too exhausted at the end of the day for getting anything done with the Lynx.

312922546_10228015933520751_2321399227816821112_n.thumb.jpg.96b1370d09a06beb38239bf208011ddb.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/5/2022 at 6:43 AM, karri said:

I agree that anything like that would have helped and rewarded those of us who supported the platform, but we know from history that it still wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of anything. It was never about technical prowess when it came to handhelds, but portability and battery life paired with a killer library. The Lynx had the technical wow factor its entire commercial lifetime, even after the semi-similar Game Gear came along. The Lynx was probably too big, had too poor battery life, and was saddled with an Atari that couldn't compete with its game library.