IGNORED

You Can't Take it With You (?)

Retro Computing Roundtable Podcast #95 had the topic (paraphrased) "What should/could happen to all of your retro gear when you are 'out of the picture'?"

The episode was pretty good. I think it applies to us on this forum as our median age is somewhere around 38+, and numbers of collectors and enthusiasts can be expected to dwindle over time for any number of reasons.

What should happen to your collection of Intellivision goodies when the inevitable happens?

• Like 2

One of my relative got me hooked onto Intellivision way back in early 80's and he's nearing ripe retirement age so he might be interested in my Intellivision lot if I pass away before he does. My little brother may want my NES lot.

If both do pass away before I go, there is no one else in my family that has any real interest in Intellivision or anything else that looks like they should be in Video Game Museum. Odds are the Intellivision and just about everything else will end up at estate auction and probably bought out by Sumguy who will flip it on eBay

I should get the little label maker so I can mark the modded game consoles. 7800 with AV mod, Lynx with LCD mod, SNES mini with S-Video fix, TG-16 with S-Video mod, PSOne with mm3 mod, etc.

I'm between leaving it to my brother, to a friend, or donate it to a guy that runs a museum or a guy that runs retro-style exhibitions.

In any case if I get married I would prefer to leave it to my spouse, so she can get money for it in case of kids, I'll be careful enough to give her a list with reference prices.

One of the things mentioned on the podcast was putting a label (sticky note, grease pencil, etc) on things that are valuable, as you use them, so the next person (eg spouse) can actually try to get real money for your Spiker or official set of Intellivisionaries Drinking Glasses.

Myself, I try (try) to minimize what I have and get kids interested so when I go they might continue to get a little enjoyment from them and recognize they are "something". Just looking at a cart of Carol vs Ghost or Microsurgeon belies the fun baked inside. :) Since I don't have boxes for my titles, my wife is less inclined to be irritated at all of the carts I own, so there is a better chance they will stay in my house. :)

I'm between leaving it to my brother, to a friend, or donate it to a guy that runs a museum or a guy that runs retro-style exhibitions.

In any case if I get married I would prefer to leave it to my spouse, so she can get money for it in case of kids, I'll be careful enough to give her a list with reference prices.

• Like 1

I have debated putting in my will as one of my "final wishes" to have my video game collection "appraised by Atariage" in the event of my untimely death so my Wife doesn't get screwed out of it on Craigslist or something...

Great idea!!!! lol but after I tell her ill pick up for free and take to the trash for her... :P

Ah ... to quote Barf from Spaceballs ... "It's not that we're afraid, far from it, it's just that we've got this thing about death... It's not us!"

I have no plans on dying anytime soon but my wife knows that most of my collection has value. I'm assuming that my collection will be sold to the highest bidder on eBay and will help fund my kids' educations.

What a pleasant topic!

• Like 1

"You can't take it with you" means exactly that. I'm worm food, so whatever happens to it, happens. Spending life worrying about what happens to your stuff when you die is a bit morbid for me. I used to have a co-worker who had it written into his will that his tools went to his brother, because (in his words) "I don't want her new husband using my stuff". Shit like that just blows my mind. I guess I just have different priorities in life.

If she feels like spending the effort to make some money off it, great. If my friends scavenge it, awesome. If it ends up selling for pennies and some new generation of collector gets a wicked deal in the Estate Sale, fine. I own this stuff for enjoyment, and I hope its next life brings someone enjoyment too.

• Like 1

I have willed my stuff to my best friend Steve, although despite that my Wife says she will just have a yard sale or put it out on the lawn! And, yes as you folks mentioned I will be gone anyway!

Most realistically, my son will get all my cool stuff, he seems to appreciate and like it more everyday. :)

One of the things mentioned on the podcast was putting a label (sticky note, grease pencil, etc) on things that are valuable, as you use them, so the next person (eg spouse) can actually try to get real money for your Spiker or official set of Intellivisionaries Drinking Glasses.

Myself, I try (try) to minimize what I have and get kids interested so when I go they might continue to get a little enjoyment from them and recognize they are "something". Just looking at a cart of Carol vs Ghost or Microsurgeon belies the fun baked inside. :) Since I don't have boxes for my titles, my wife is less inclined to be irritated at all of the carts I own, so there is a better chance they will stay in my house. :)

oh no, I made it very clear to my Wife how valuable the boxes are! ;)

I love this topic (maybe not the dying part) because I've definitely given it some thought. Where to begin...I'm not yet married, but should be soonish (pretty sure she's a keeper :) ), however we likely won't be having any kids. I have some nephews (all under 12), but they don't really appreciate the retro arts. Maybe I'll start them out with a Flashback ;-)

My girlfriend has zero interest in my games, she doesn't really need the money, and she would never put any significant effort into selling it. She would take easy money and may respect my dying wishes.

So I can't take it with me and when I'm dead I'm dead, however...I'm alive now and it means a lot to me :) For two reasons:

1. I have put a LOT of time and energy in to my collection. I've only been doing this for the last 4.5 years, but my efforts have been beyond casual. I don't want it to be for naught.

2. As I collect I feel like I'm scavenging the darkened lost corners of the Earth for rare items that everyone else forgot and neglected. Pieces that shined in their heyday and have endured 30 years of disinterest. The 125 never existed as a complete and united set when these games were produced. They never sat together on a shelf, all boxes adjacent, in a factory or office. They were scattered around, and the empty shelves were promptly replaced with newer generation games. As I collect I'm reuniting parts of a whole that were meant to fit together. I'm seeking out the best and rarest specimens and appreciating them. They are in my care and with that comes responsibility. When I can no longer take care of them I want them to be preserved and appreciated for many future generations.

I plan to make a master inventory list detailing the values and significance of each item. I'll leave instructions in my will to either donate or sell my collection to a museum, or possibly to a trusted fellow collector.

• Like 1

I love this topic (maybe not the dying part) because I've definitely given it some thought. Where to begin...I'm not yet married, but should be soonish (pretty sure she's a keeper :) ), however we likely won't be having any kids. I have some nephews (all under 12), but they don't really appreciate the retro arts. Maybe I'll start them out with a Flashback ;-)

My girlfriend has zero interest in my games, she doesn't really need the money, and she would never put any significant effort into selling it. She would take easy money and may respect my dying wishes.

So I can't take it with me and when I'm dead I'm dead, however...I'm alive now and it means a lot to me :) For two reasons:

1. I have put a LOT of time and energy in to my collection. I've only been doing this for the last 4.5 years, but my efforts have been beyond casual. I don't want it to be for naught.

2. As I collect I feel like I'm scavenging the darkened lost corners of the Earth for rare items that everyone else forgot and neglected. Pieces that shined in their heyday and have endured 30 years of disinterest. The 125 never existed as a complete and united set when these games were produced. They never sat together on a shelf, all boxes adjacent, in a factory or office. They were scattered around, and the empty shelves were promptly replaced with newer generation games. As I collect I'm reuniting parts of a whole that were meant to fit together. I'm seeking out the best and rarest specimens and appreciating them. They are in my care and with that comes responsibility. When I can no longer take care of them I want them to be preserved and appreciated for many future generations.

I plan to make a master inventory list detailing the values and significance of each item. I'll leave instructions in my will to either donate or sell my collection to a museum, or possibly to a trusted fellow collector.

I promise your sister and I will enjoy your collection. :)

• Like 1

Actually, on the "wife doesn't care and we don't have kids" note - presuming none of my friends/colleagues/nephews/nieces ever want any of it (family and friends get first dibs), I've also laid enough groundwork that a place like AA wouldn't be hard to find. I'd rather see true enthusiasts nab it than random Ebay flippers.

Of course if a new poster came on here with "hey, my husband used to hang out here lots and he recently died and his stuff is up for grabs, do any of you want it?" I.m kinda afraid that she'd be attacked as a scam artist and would have to spend 6 months "proving herself" somehow. So maybe this isn't the right community to steer her towards. :P

"You can't take it with you" means exactly that. I'm worm food, so whatever happens to it, happens. Spending life worrying about what happens to your stuff when you die is a bit morbid for me. I used to have a co-worker who had it written into his will that his tools went to his brother, because (in his words) "I don't want her new husband using my stuff". Shit like that just blows my mind. I guess I just have different priorities in life.

If she feels like spending the effort to make some money off it, great. If my friends scavenge it, awesome. If it ends up selling for pennies and some new generation of collector gets a wicked deal in the Estate Sale, fine. I own this stuff for enjoyment, and I hope its next life brings someone enjoyment too.

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand (depending on the size of your collection) if you are aware or not it "is" an investment, in a sense that as time goes on it will be worth more and more (or at least hold it's value). You do not have to collect for those reasons of course (I do not myself) but classic games do convert to dollars, it's a pile of money really when you take the person that cares about them out of the picture. As someone who has helped people sell collections and items (non video game) for the very old (or dead) I can see how much they cared for the stuff but all I see is "whats it worth?" as I have no connection to the items.

At any given time my collection is probably worth 5k-10k, maybe more, fair market value. I know it's not going to be a lottery win for my immediate family or anything but I also know without me they would really struggle and could use that money. I think it's important they get what they can for it as I really have nothing else of substantial monetary value.

This would be in the event of my "untimely" death of course. If I make it to the average life expectancy of beyond then I think there will be another "crash" of sorts because we will all be dying off and the amount of people interested will be far less. People our age with classic collections versus much younger generations starting classic collections does not equally add up. I know the odds of my Daughter collecting Atari/etc are extremely slim, I would go as far as non existent. I'm hoping to make it a long time so I can get those dirt cheap Spikers!! ;)

I've got a cart collection numbering over 2200 at this point, with nearly 700 optical titles on top of that - so yeah, I'm aware of their "value" as an "investment". :)

I just pray that I have life insurance that's worth an order of magnitude more. At the end of the day, I'd hate to imagine a widow fretting over the small details of a hobby she doesn't care about, just to scrape together a few extra dollars. I've watched people do this and all it does is prolong the grieving process.

At the end of the day I spend far more on these games than a decent life insurance policy would cost. Seems like my time is better spent making sure that's in order, rather than trying to educate the family on how to avoid being "ripped off" after I'm dead. YMMV.

I actually hold a different view than a lot of you - I don't see the value of this stuff just evaporating. I think it may well become like comic books - sure, the people who read 1940s stuff as kids have generally passed away, but Action Comics #1 is still worth a ton of dough. There will certainly be a dip when a lot of us get out/die, but I think this will be a collectible for many generations. Video games are just too much a part of our culture at this point. It's not just us old farts remembering our youth.

I kind of agree with Freeweed. A factor to consider is that there is a sweet spot where kids of a certain "video gaming age" reach a certain "nostalgia age" where they may have more financial means to acquire the games of their youth. Eventually, this peak will pass as collectors outgrow this sweet spot and sell off old collections. The future pool of buyers may be less interested in Intellivision (and more interested in NES, SNES, PS5) %-wise, however I see the total market for Intellivision (and retro gaming in general) increasing over time. The population is ever increasing and expanding internationally, online resources and marketplaces are streamlining the collecting process, and these finitely available items are getting older and more scarce over time. What happens when China's growing middle-class gets interested in retro gaming? :)

Just my two cents, but I'm optimistic on future growth.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV