IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

On 10/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Ah my bad. That's not the one I have. Duh I think the brand itself is Old Skool. I like the look of that hyperkin one. Aren't they making a clone system too?

Yes, Old Skool is a brand. Hyperkin is making a supposed clone, although it most likely uses emulation, some years ago they also showed a prototype for a portable version. Analogue is making something that is closer to what people would call a clone, but it uses FPGA. I don't know if it's possible to make a proper clone, the CPU is an upgraded 6502 chip and the GPU is made of two 8-bit processors, I mean, it should be possible if companies took the effort of reverse-engineering the hardware and use the correct components, but they jump straight to cheap solution of emulation, or the cheap-but-expensive FPGA.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 4:25 PM, M-S said:

Yes, Old Skool is a brand. Hyperkin is making a supposed clone, although it most likely uses emulation, some years ago they also showed a prototype for a portable version. Analogue is making something that is closer to what people would call a clone, but it uses FPGA. I don't know if it's possible to make a proper clone, the CPU is an upgraded 6502 chip and the GPU is made of two 8-bit processors, I mean, it should be possible if companies took the effort of reverse-engineering the hardware and use the correct components, but they jump straight to cheap solution of emulation, or the cheap-but-expensive FPGA.

GPU made up of two 8bit processors?? What system, the PCE???? Who comes up with this stuff hahah

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice recovery, but screw that price.  They should sell the ROM for a few bucks, not everyone has the hardware, or wants to buy a stupid Miyoo Mini just to get access.  Though with that done, someone will just dump it which will serve them right.  I never had one of these modern catch all handhelds until 2 days ago, got one local for a really good deal (anbernic 351p) which does 8bit like a dream.  I'd love to have that game to play on there, no damn way I'm buying another handheld (or a whole console) for one title, that's messed up.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

That's a nice recovery, but screw that price.  They should sell the ROM for a few bucks, not everyone has the hardware, or wants to buy a stupid Miyoo Mini just to get access.  Though with that done, someone will just dump it which will serve them right.  I never had one of these modern catch all handhelds until 2 days ago, got one local for a really good deal (anbernic 351p) which does 8bit like a dream.  I'd love to have that game to play on there, no damn way I'm buying another handheld (or a whole console) for one title, that's messed up.

The ROM is going to be free, though; no need to pay for it at all if you don't want to.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

So they should sell the rom that they are already releasing for free?

I have some PCE Works discs(bought at postage via a forum basically when the PCE works guy was trying to atone for some shady nonsense he was called on, can't recall exactly what) and while I did play them (kept me from having to buy a real Beyond Shadowgate ,etc ) to me they may as well be blank CDRs. I don't like this guy's "products" at all, no matter how many energy drinks he includes.

OTOH....an actual UNRELASED game, and I can have a real huey of it....Imma try to buy it. I can't resist.

• Like 1

Yeah, the bootlegs are just that, bootlegs, but an actual "new"/previously unreleased game is very interesting. I'd buy it if the exchange rate wasn't so horrible; I'd basically end up paying what you could consider to be the equivalent of about $130 USD for it. Fortunately, I have the SSDS3 and the MiSTer, so I'll play it with those instead.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

So they should sell the rom that they are already releasing for free?

I didn't dig into PCEworks, have had no use for them for a few years now so I had no idea it was after being fixed up/completed a give away.  Great, I'll try it then.  I've got an anbernic 351p now with a pce, sgx and tg16 setup on it so I can just toss it right in there and get to it when the time comes.

11 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'd wait on the Everdrive; Krikzz is making an Everdrive that plays CD games. I think the HuCARD slot will only allow mono CD audio, though.

Thats exactly what I read about it from people posting out his tweets on things or copies from his forum on his products.  Seems handy and makes sense as you can only do so much from the cart slot, and the fact he figured out he could pull that is amazing.  I'd grab it, if I had something I could use it in, but I don't, seeing as those dicks at Analogue coupled the adapter for the pocket with 2 other ones now for $100 (instead of $30 each) so I'm out on that.  Anyone with an old system, analogue pocket who gets it still, their later duo clone, or someone elses thing to come it will be very very handy.

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Thats exactly what I read about it from people posting out his tweets on things or copies from his forum on his products.  Seems handy and makes sense as you can only do so much from the cart slot, and the fact he figured out he could pull that is amazing.  I'd grab it, if I had something I could use it in, but I don't, seeing as those dicks at Analogue coupled the adapter for the pocket with 2 other ones now for $100 (instead of $30 each) so I'm out on that.  Anyone with an old system, analogue pocket who gets it still, their later duo clone, or someone elses thing to come it will be very very handy.

Pocket doesn't need it since it can already run both regular and SuperGrafx HuCARDs from the SD card and CD support is coming soon, and Duo will likely be the same, so you don't really need it at all unless you have a real system. Even then I'd get the SHDS3 instead since that comes with a built-in HDMI and RGB output and will also give you stereo CD sound. That thing is expensive as hell, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I wanted to know what were the largest games for HuCard and CD respectively in terms of ROM size?

As far as I know, at least as far as a licensed legit release goes, Street Fighter II Champion Edition was the biggest on TG/PCE.  20megabit, and large enough they had to double layer or whatever the game on the hucard so it actually bulges out to twice the thickness to fit the game storage chip in there.  The only other legit fat game was Populous, but that's because it had a save mechanism that ate up room for that one.

• Like 1