IGNORED

What could be wrong with my new ColecoVision?

cbmeeks

So I bought two CV's off eBay for <$20 each. Both were reported not working.

I managed to clean and mod the first one and it works like a champ.

However, my second one isn't working correctly. My suspicion is bad memory. The unit powers up, the audio sounds fine but the screen is all messed up.

But, it's messed up in a "bad data" type of way. For example, instead of saying "GET READY PLAYER 1" it says "GEP REAWY PCAYER 1". The game select screen says "PPRQQ @UTTML ML IEYPAD"...etc.

(screen shots attached).

So, what are your thoughts? I've cleaned it up physically. In fact, this was one of the cleanest units I've ever seen. Looks almost mint besides a little dust.

All of the electrolytic capacitors are fine. Well, they aren't bulging and there is no leakage.

I didn't take the RF unit apart to see if anything was leaking under it but I don't think that is the issue anyway since it isn't a bad picture for RF. Just looks like the letters have been replaced, colors swapped, etc.

Thanks.

post-5987-0-10373200-1429564971_thumb.jpg

post-5987-0-14940300-1429565021_thumb.jpg

post-5987-0-99623900-1429565100_thumb.jpg

Edited by cbmeeks

Is this fixable? I have a CV that may have the same issue and want to know if it's possible to have it repaired.

If you are not comfortable desoldering the old chips and then soldering new sockets in place for the repacement chips, then Yurkie is the man to contact.

its something with bit 1 ?

bit 1= 2 decimal.

S is shown as Q

2 is shown as 0

K is shown as I

what is common for those is if you take the ascii value of the lette should be shown, and set bit 1 to 0, (minus 2 if you want), then you get

what is show on the screen.

But not sure what its is cause if the vram was bad bit 1 always=zero, then i would suspect sprites and letters and other graphics to be

bad too.

I have an ADAM. Love it. But the damn thing takes up half my office. Lol.

My dream is to build my own "CV1.2" like console. It would be driven by a propeller for video and other things with a real Z80. Just need to get off my butt and build it. Lol

• 3 weeks later...