IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

On 9/3/2024 at 7:12 PM, jgkspsx said:

So Piko Interactive has launched a GB/C/A emulation handheld with 20 built in games.

image.thumb.png.afb65fadbf9e0df6ac4b720e484cacc7.png

image.thumb.png.687eb1cc6ea2ea289fd4681ab1a6513c.png

It looks bad (lololol at the L and R button placement) but I bought one because I am curious. I'll let you know what I think.

This is so silly,  that, on a whim, I too, ordered one.

For some unholy reason,  I wanted to support Piko Interactive...And I was looking thinking,  it only comes in blue and white?   At first I was like BLUE,  at least it's not white.   But the way it' s kind of a pastel blue,  well I decided it looks terrible,  so I ordered WHITE.  It's boring but at least it's not pastel blue-ish,  the color of a kid's stuffed animal...

OK SO here's the kicker;  It was $69.99 on Amazon, but there was a coupon to save 20% just sitting there waiting to be clicked on (evidently)...And I've never seen this before.  Sometimes my laptop does weird stuff like this (It's got the Capital One dealie).  Anyway I clicked the coupon,  not really expecting it to work,  and also wondering why it was there in the first place.   Amazon was like here ya go cool guy, have a coupon.   (Me?...I don't see no one else around here)...If I clicked on it,   it would say the coupon works on checkout...And IT DID!  Now it was $14 less!   WOOHOO!  And I decided to use up some reward points, which makes it,  lessee...FREE!  Well it oughta be worth that ;)

• Haha 2

So like I'm seeing Neocade, seeing this Chromatic at play, and here I am with my analogue pocket. :P

That said, in all fairness, Chromatic tempts me.

Why?

Because despite the odd situation i see going now for years with the pocket had gone one way, now I'm thinking the other.  Like all their products you get slimy scalpers, and those handhelds keep going at a nastier cost when they run out of stock for a time, but that's it, it's a time, and a time that seems to be narrowing each time around standard black/white and other editions that appear, and this has gone on years now.  It feel to me that given their shitty lack of care or work much on the DUO, nuking the 16 bit consoles people adore, and going dead silent on the N64 3D system that their bread and butter care 100% is the pocket.  They will keep that system, the accessories, the OS cores and all as their primary source and I don't see them quitting on that for a long time, and I don't take this as snark but a good on them moment.  But even then the Pocket while in those gaps has popped up in price, it's at pop up of diminishing returns if it's not a limited edition color, but even those people are getting less fidgety to pay more up on than not.  I still don't want to take mine off the dock, it to me, it is just really a handheld player for my TV because that's what I want it for and as such still don't feel safe taking it out and about as accidents happen.

The thing (pocket) is NOT built like a tank, it scratches easily if you see the dock scuffing on port reports etc.  Chromatic did I hear that right, ran that thing over with a CAR and it still worked.  Pocket cut corners to hit that old $200 price point, basic screen, basic well enough machined shell, some do have legit issues with diagonals (thankfully the old and current I have do not.)  Chromatic I'd feel fine taking that out, using it regularly, keeping that in my pocket.  That sapphire screen, the metal shell, you could just throw that thing at the nearest wall in a rage and it would laugh at you I think for the effort if a car won't kill it.  That level of durability and lastability means plenty.

Neocade though...Piko I consider a friend, but there's just not enough there I'd pay the asking, and I really would find also myself in a bad spot to want to use that evercade option and I don't want to go down that rabbithole again. :\

$199 for Chromatic +12 for shipping which appears to be flat as I tested it adding a game.  It's in my cart...tempted.

Edited by Tanooki