IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

If you find you're really digging it,  you know, you can with a screwdriver alone carefully save the internal upper board/screen combo in an safe place and drop in a new upper board and modern lit up iphone style quality screen in there for not that much money.

I've thought about something like this, but I don't trust my electronics stills well enough to attempt it. 🙂 I think I might prefer to keep this one as-is, and maybe get a backlit GBA that can take GB carts, and use that when I don't want to deal with the "vintage" screen. 

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I definitely can give you many of recommendations, and not the junk people cluster to because Nintendo made it.

I would definitely be interested to hear your recommendations!

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

and maybe get a backlit GBA that can take GB carts, and use that when I don't want to deal with the "vintage" screen. 

Well that'd be the original GBA which is arguably about as bad :lol:  The good thing is there are so many solutions nowadays of all types of course.

Others might think differently, but coming from me, here in 2024 if it's GB/GBC you want, I say get an Analogue Pocket. 

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Karl G said:

I've thought about something like this, but I don't trust my electronics stills well enough to attempt it. 🙂 I think I might prefer to keep this one as-is, and maybe get a backlit GBA that can take GB carts, and use that when I don't want to deal with the "vintage" screen. 

I would definitely be interested to hear your recommendations!

Well like the DMG there you have, that solution I said needed zero soldering or electrical work, and the AGB (original non-lit GBA) the same is done with that too, no soldering required. I get if it's scary or you want to just not deal, Guntz here on the site does good work from what I've seen and offers fairer prices than the ebay troll farm.  He currently in the Buy Sell area has a backlit original GBA up for sale.  I'd grab it.  That way you get all 3 systems knocked off in one comfy device that feels like a gamepad due to the design of it.

I'd avoid the analogue pocket.  It's nice, but some have problems, not most, just some/few.  Also they're over $200 if you can get one, and if you deal with the trolling losers on ebay you'll pay 2-3x the price because they are feckless garbage people scalpers.  And that presents the other problem, if yours ever breaks or gets damaged, they won't make them forever (usually a few years tops until they stop on stuff) and you'll end up having to replace it for an even higher cost when they're off the market by the same garbage trolls.  Just get a nice original system that has the lit up screen in it, looks about as nice anyway and won't screw you now or later on price.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why I haven't joined this thread yet, but what are some emulator handhelds that I could get for under a hundred bucks? I've heard good things about the Miyoo Mini, but I know it's getting closer to over $95 soon.

21 hours ago, r_chase said:

I'm not sure why I haven't joined this thread yet, but what are some emulator handhelds that I could get for under a hundred bucks? I've heard good things about the Miyoo Mini, but I know it's getting closer to over $95 soon.

I would recommend shooting for the new RG35XXH.  Also, the RG355XX Plus or the Miyoo Mini Plus would be good choices.

Anbernic all the way, at the $100 price cap you can run up towards doing PS1 and N64(about 70-80% accurate at speed) emulation, GBA, and older 16bit and back, various arcade systems/boards, etc.  Stock OS isn't as hot, google amberelec it raises the bar better into the realm I just mentioned.

• Like 1

If I remember right, this was one of those releases that also made it into the Hudson band-aid metal boxes too.  I wish I had one of those, though, for the game I have that did it was a trilogy of Bonk(Genjin) titles thrown into one larger cart.  That thing is a real keeper.

Wow, I have had the pleasure of four player faceball, but didn't know it could even do 16. That's pretty awesome.

Don't know if you can still get them, but I got the screen mod for my purple mk 1 gba years ago. Love it, and the best of most the game boy world. It was just a drop in part, one bit soldered to run the backlight. Think it was an sp screen with an adapter to mate it to the gba 1 system.

Ooof haven't been there for awhile, been too busy and kind of forgot.  I remember someone there was trying for awhile to work that one out, so good for them.

@Video Drop in is all you can get now basically, very common.  They have a lot of functions, a few do add couple things if you drop in, then solder a few wires to specific points for added optional function with button combos.  I've never gone that far, don't much care, I like just having the clean cell phone style quality screen as is.  Best bet is to buy off ali direct because anyone in the US is going to rip you off hard.  You can get an entire setup short of the GBA PCB alone for like $40-50 shipped, or you can just buy the LCD from some domestic crank for like $60-70 range and eat the rest of the parts well over the $100 mark.

I got a borderline destroyed AGB last year for $5.  I dropped $45 shipped on that.  Now it's my go-to in the desk for GBA specific stuff, I have an atomic purple GBC I use for the 8bit.

gba-ips-sfc.thumb.jpg.81c2432e1b8b61c33e88210bfd905823.jpg

• Like 1

For anyone that has done the DMG to color LCD screen mod for the original Gameboy (mod I used linked below), I made a simple color conversion tool. It may not be perfect, but it will at least get you in the ballpark. It runs in excel, but should work in free alternatives like Libre Office and Google Docs.

image.png.347e2fc933a93eb0312c5c49b9eb9c52.png

https://retrogamerepairshop.com/collections/game-boy-dmg-display/products/game-boy-dmg-2-6-high-brightness-lcd-kit?variant=42495469093036

color converter.xlsx

Yeah, mine could have been fancier, with a chip to adjust brightness or something. I bypassed that and just wired it straight, because the button combos to adjust brightness would screw with fps games (like select plus l or r, which many of those use for weapons select)

I didn't do the wiring either as it seemed like a disaster for that very reason, also Wing Commander Prophecy wouldn't be compatible either with its combos to cycle weapons then cycle missiles, and targets, etc.  The combination are nice for most games, but it kills some and you can't just flip it off.  The touch sensors are more than enough.  If I remember right I stuffed one up top the other is resting under the Nintendo logo in the upper face above the glass.  There's like no chance to touch the stuff ever when playing.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:54 PM, Hakogame 箱亀 said:

Bomberman gb3 is the best of all the gameboy bomberman games. At first, I didn't like it as much as bomberman gb2, but after playing for a bit it clearly won me over.

I did quite like Bomberman Quest, which goes for an action RPG structure.

38094_back.thumb.jpg.3e73c7d757a95cb0793b892246b95aef.jpg

• Like 1

I had that one, got rid of it.  It's a nice idea being a Zelda clone but it has enough of these weird quirks I just couldn't tolerate it very long.  If you can watch a longplay for a bit and are ok with how it handles, it should be a lot of fun.

Actually tinkering with Game Boy again right now thanks to this piece of work I put together from borderline dead DMG I got late last year from a kit online from the one supplier I trust for non-crap parts on Ali.

Put a little work onto Kid Dracula, Tetris, Tetris Blast, The Getaway, and cleared a couple coins before those on Super Mario Land 2.

GameboyDMG-V5-OSD-IPS-PokemonYellow-Blue.thumb.jpg.606336031485de05010b9c9ed908946b.jpg

On a bootleg/unlicensed games discord I frequent I saw something interesting. One user appeared to have a different revision for GBA that I had not seen before. Most GBAs don't boot GBC games with custom boot logos (which are common for unlicensed games), but depending on how the logo is implemented they can replace the logo with the normal Nintendo one. This user's GBA however just showed the logo and booted the game, which is more like what a GBC would do. Has anyone else heard about something like this?

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Is there a way to paste the conversation/images from that?  What discord was it?  I might have an idea but that's just too vague to even begin to respond right.

The Bootleg Games Central (Bootleg Games Wiki) discord. This is the video shared there. It's a public server, so I don't think they'll mind me re-posting the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19agHhyI3K4

@Ankos Oh so if I follow right, what i'm seeing there shouldn't happen on a GBA right?  I think I may actually have a game that does this I'd have to check.

EDIT: Yes I do it's my rare to get Sachen multicart, the Mighty 31in1.  I am so behind right now and it's one of my 15hr days so I can't right now take the time to make a video then stuff it up on youtube.  I can do it though.

Which section of the bootleg games wiki discord linked this?  If I have the energy late tonight I might just make a clip of the cart booting up within my handheld showing it say Sachen instead of V-Fame there.

Edited by Tanooki