IGNORED

Street Fight World

Papa

Retro Lord has inspired my next side project (while the RPG is getting pieced together). It will be a fighting game based on Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha (with maybe a little Streets of Rage thrown in for good measure). I've only the title and menu screens to play with so far but here's a taste of...

Street Fight World!

SFW.bin

Pressing fire selects one of the two modes on the title screen (left and right highlight the modes).

Pressing right on the 1 player joystick (or right on the 1 or 2 player in versus mode) runs through the characters.

Edited by Papa
  • Like 3

I'm going to put a twinkie on one side of the screen and then put in:

if x=1 then goto twinkie... :P

Honestly, it's gonna be a big mess at first I'm sure. A lot of comparing one player to another to decide movement and action. I know I'm going to run out of space very fast and will likely scrap the versus mode in favor of a fighting adventure game (or vice versa, if I can get acceptable levels of ghosting or flicker out of those sprites). I have generated an indecent amount of flicker when stacking four sprites across, so having eight pixel wide enemies may be the answer. There are so many ways to go with this, so I'll try to put some updates in when I make a significant change.

I really love how Cherry Blossom (Sakura), and Lotus (Chun Li) turned out. I based my Way (Ryu) and Edge (Ken) sprites on a extra wide (three eight-pixel-wide size) Ryu picture posted by Retro Lord. I redrew him completely and then drew the rest from scratch, making them all sixteen pixels wide (two eight bit sprites side-by-side). This cranks up the detail and raises the flicker factor considerably with two whole characters on the screen.

Wish me luck! (I'm gonna need it...) :grin:

• Like 1

..aaaaand, I just figured it out! Now there is little to no flicker! Even in versus!

SFW.bin

That was quick. Now time to program moves, A.I., backgrounds, etc.

(upon resetting one half of a sprite doesn't get dropped off the screen. This is just a simple oversight and will be corrected..)

• Like 2

Now all the backgrounds are done and the characters move (without animations, yet...). I'm making lower resolution versions of each background in case I run out of room for player moves.

OH..and they're ZOOOOOMED now!! :-o

SFWII.bin

I'm going to wait to post any more on this until I get some actual animation.

Should I keep the zoom?

If I had to get rid of any backgrounds, which ones should I chop off?

(In emulation this game may look flickery and crapish. On real hardware it looks great, with only the slightest bit of ghosting.)

Edited by Papa
  • Like 2

Yes, I'm using DPC+ for the higher resolution sprites and playfield. I did drop the resolution a little on the backgrounds, but kept them as close to the originals as possible. I have a lot of movement animation done now. Once everyone has frames for movement I'll be adding jumping and crouching.

I'm using a 22 row playfield. This gives you 8 lines per row which is double that of the standard kernel. (The higher res ones above were 4 lines)

The reality is that some backgrounds may need to be removed to allow for all the moves I want to include. Crafty use of half sprites may allow me to keep them all, but I highly doubt it. I may even need to dump a character. No, I'm not dumping Sakura. :-D

Here are the movement animations.

SFW.bin

• Like 1

I've gotten a lot done! Everyone walks, crouches and jumps. Lotus (Chun Li) has a punch and two kicks. White (Blanka) has his special attack.

Once I add the remaining attacks, set up damage, write a couple of songs for it (maybe three!?!), and program the A.I. it will be done!

Here's what is done so far...

StreetFight.bin

This looks best when played on real hardware (as do most games that have that 'shimmer' of shared sprite space.)

Hold down for a couple of seconds and press fire to do White's (Blanka's) rolling attack. Press forward and fire to do a punch with Lotus (Chun Li), back and fire to do a kick, and press fire rapidly to do a rapid kick. These are the only moves programmed so far.

More to come...

• Like 1

...Here's the download of that, by the way...

Jumps have extra animation. All walking animation is done. Lotus has a punch and two kicks. White has the spin attack (no glitches now). Edge, Way, and Blossom have Dragon Uppercuts (down, down-right, right...yes, I know that's the fireball, but I'm working on it.)!

Left difficulty "A" is small characters, "B" is large characters..

SFW.bin

..still not quite a game, but it's almost there.

(also, I've muted the music until I write it as that was just the Run Out music with a different instrument to act as as placeholder.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest on my SFII clone. Now fireballs are in! Blossom (Sakura) has a cool fireball pose and pink projectile! Edge (Ken) has a distinctly 'retro' fireball (spirit ball is a better term for it I guess.) Way (Ryu) has a classic SFII projectile, with the ghosted hands and blue flash. Two kicks for the twinsies has been added and certain glitches have been worked out. The size can still be selected with the left difficulty switch. I turned the Ryu and Ken clones into a simple color variant of one sprite set to save memory and their fireball poses are quad zoomed, 8 pixel wide sprites to save memory and prevent any second sprite glitches (certain halves of characters would vanish when throwing fireballs). With Blossom a workaround had to be implemented and a second set of speed regulating variables so a slight flicker happens on the second player when she throws a spirit-ball. Dragon uppercuts are still in, but not usable until I program the controllers. Lotus (Chun-Li) has her winner stance still mushed in there waiting to be implemented (or removed if absolutely necessary).

When all is squeezed in there should be three or four basic attacks per character, two to three special moves per character (fireballs, dragon uppercuts, and tornado kicks for the three Sheng-Long students. A rapid kick and spinning-star-kick for Lotus. Electrocution and the flying-furry-sonic-spinball attack for White (Blanka), and a spinning-vodka-induced-helicopter-punch and 69-in-your-face-Final-Fight-Mayor piledriver for our Zangief clone), at least one squatting attack, at least one jumping attack, and some throws!!

..Yes, I'm pretty sure this is all possible!

WorldFight.bin

I'm also thinking of changing the name to 'World Fighter'. Any ideas on what I should call this game or what Zangief's non-lawsuit-inducing clone moniker should be?

• Like 4

Now I've added a punch and a crouching kick for Way and Edge. Both the punch and the standing kick can also be done while jumping, so that's good! I may make the crouching kick work in the air as well as it looks perfect as a flying side kick.

I will call my Zangief clone "Borets"! Thanks Buttons.

I will consider the name Pixel Fighter. There are a LOT of pixels in this game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the game graphically. For the AI you could use a timer which triggers a random number generator. Each number generated could correspond to a move in a given character's library (one of which would be not to move at all). That would ensure that each fight was different while maintaining a distinct fighting style for each character.