IGNORED

Star Raiders going cheap on Steam right now

ilaskey

Not exactly next gen. look at the system requirements for pc, But the game could be nice. Will there ever be a proper follow up to Star Raiders ? well exept for star raiders 2 on the Atari Xe, For som reason i never got into that one like the original one

I'm non-plussed.. The graphics are too realistic and close to the uncanny valley; therefore I can't abstract myself into the game. It's too 2004 sci-fi'ish and looks like an mmorpg campaign. You know one of those space battle & trading games with DLC. Ugh!

Games like this shut down your imagination.

I played the demo when it came out and it was very different from the original Star Raiders.

It was almost as if someone wrote a space shooter and then said "hey, if we make a few changes and call it Star Raiders we'll sell a lot more copies!"

• Like 2

They would have to pay me $3.39 to play this crappy game and even that isn't enough.

Not exactly next gen. look at the system requirements for pc, But the game could be nice. Will there ever be a proper follow up to Star Raiders ? well exept for star raiders 2 on the Atari Xe, For som reason i never got into that one like the original one

Battlesphere, for the Atari Jaguar, was the spiritual successor to Star Raiders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAaxBrtf0M

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 3

Battlesphere, for the Atari Jaguar, was the spiritual successor to Star Raiders.

Thank you for sharing. I never played on a Jaguar, so I had no idea this game ever existed.

Besides keeping the core gameplay mechanics intact, I love all the homages to the original. They must have sampled the photon sound, because it sounds identical to the original SR.

Am I the only one who looked at Battlesphere and thought, that looks nice but you know what, I'd rather play the original because it just seems better?

I think its wonderful that someone kept the Star Raiders line going in a much more faithful way but from the footage I felt the Atari 8 bit version had more atmosphere and the combat seemed more fun on the 8 bit.

• Like 3

The Star Raiders Titlescreen itself its a icon, I mean "Copyright Atari 1979". It was still the 70's ! when the game was realeased. The Titlescreen and game itself hold such fond memory for me. I was out there flying in Space, Really was on the old 26 inch Crt we had back then, Well i got my first Atari n 1982 but still we had just left the 70's. ;-)

Edited by BioFreeze

Star Raiders is what got me into the Atari 400/800 machines. I clearly recall (and wrote about it elsewhere on AA) the day I got it. It was in the late afternoon. And we went to Showbiz PIzza to play some Tempest, then came home for an evening of setting up the 400 and SR.

Now, presently, as far as I'm concerned there haven't been any sequels to Star Raiders. Not done properly anyways.

• Like 1

Now, presently, as far as I'm concerned there haven't been any sequels to Star Raiders. Not done properly anyways.

Agreed. Maybe the only thing that can surpass the original Star Raiders is if Doug Neubauer himself decided to make use of his source code for game and put another 8K of additions and optimizations into the game making it 16k in total, Or maybe even making use of all the 64k.

Edited by BioFreeze

Solaris doesn't compare to Star Raiders, that's why no one has commented yet.

A true follow-up to Star Raiders can only be a slightly enhanced version. Anything else and you have a different game. And from what I've seen so far to date, it's best to leave SR 1979 alone.

I do think it would be possible to produce a new improved Star Raiders - building upon the original - by say introducing new enemy types/patterns into it, more varied asteroids and other such objects - say a mine field?, rogue satellites/etc into it. New weapons - and include a tractor beam - and make it visually nice - like using a black starfield as your normal mode of vision during gameplay. It would be a major project, requiring lots of time and effort, and would need a talented programmer(s) involved.

I think such a project would be far more interesting than any conversion (of any other game) - and the result should be worthwhile - if successfully completed. It won't be an easy task - that's for sure.

It could perhaps be started off - as an open source project? If there is the interest for people to work on it?

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 2

Star Raiders can be as cheap as it likes. 'Atari' aren't getting a penny from me. In fact, I think the best thing that could happen for all of us is if they finally gave up, went bankrupt (again, lol) and stayed dead.

This zombie corpse of lawyers needs to just go away, forever.

• Like 4

@CyranoJ

That's absolutely correct. Last Atari game I purchased (where funds went to Atari) was Tempest 2000 for the PC IIRC.

@Kiwilove

I would prefer the original author be involved and that work be branched out from the original code. While not a necessary stipulation for funding, it's a strong one.

And no memory limits, like cramming more into the same size cartridge. Expand it up to 48K if needed.

As for the Atari of now, screw therm, utter wastes of space still trying to get money out of a proud name..

But back to Star Raiders getting a beefing up, what we could do with in the Atari community is what they have in the C64 scene, a small group of artists, musicians and programmers whose thing they do is take good old titles and spice them up to arcade standard. I know its easy to say all this and suggest a group of folks form and spend time doing this, I of all folks know what having zero time is, since Serena leaving hospital the after care of therapy etc means almost every day of the week is taken up with that or school issues etc but lets imagine we could have the time and have a group in the Atari community who did the same as the C64 group Nostalgia. Their work on Ghost and Goblins and Commando is superb but I know from various projects that there are individuals on the Atari scene who have done the same, imagine a group of them :)

We can dream...