IGNORED

High Score Competition (July: Midnight/Midnite Mason)

arcadeshopper

10 hours ago, globeron said:

27,410  Classic 99 with Keyboard. 

@Tursi it looks like in the level 3

(all the coins collection I did not get the last coin on the right top corner, but it said something like a perfect round 3,000 pts ?)

Are you running Rev E?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, globeron said:

Yes I do, I will capture it again if I see it next. 

I saw it happening in John Hancock's video too, but I could only reproduce it by following his exact path. ;)

Maybe I should try rebuilding with the newer version of the compiler, but yeah, if you can capture a video so I can mirror your movements, that would help testing.

22 hours ago, globeron said:

Yes I do, I will capture it again if I see it next. 

Until now (playing on Retrobat/Mame64) I did not see it happen yet).  96,940 score now. Really did not know this is such a good game. Enjoying it with some special moves getting turtles jump down next platform, or all the way down or get them on the pow icon. It is fun!  (The Pow I do not completely understand it when it comes back) managed to get to phase 13.

20240106_081957.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, globeron said:

(The Pow I do not completely understand it when it comes back)

POW regenerates first on level 8, then every 5 levels after that.

The trick to the bonus stage is never turn back ;) (I usually turn only once.)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

POW regenerates first on level 8, then every 5 levels after that.

The trick to the bonus stage is never turn back ;) (I usually turn only once.)

Thank you.   It is an incredible fun game. I played today at least 4 hours and try to let the enemies jump on each other or on the POW block, or they fall all the way down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is a tough game. 2nd time I reached the special donkey kong barrel level, but ended at 126,120.  Also I played the arcade version (also hard with detailed graphics, but Mario has a blue hat and not so realistic as the TI version).  Also two players works well now with version F.

• Like 2

Best I could muster, playing on my MiSTer arcade cab, which was nice because of the great joystick and buttons:

IMG_6692.thumb.JPG.ce07962c4ec5da38079896a2af390a1a.JPG

I have to say the difficulty on this game seems to jump exponentially around level 10 or so.

I also tried to "game the system" by playing on my DSi XL, where I could save the emulator system state whenever I achieved a new level without losing men. 😎

...didn't help all!  My hands don't love the controls on the DSi as much as the arcade cab, and I hit a wall where I just couldn't progress. 

• Like 2

There are 15 defined stage patterns before the patterns wrap around (plus the DK stage is special). They are all pretty comparable in terms of enemies coming out and timing, though 13 and 14 put the fireballs much earlier. 

Enemies will stay down for shorter and shorter times until stage 21, which is the fastest they will get up (give or take 4 seconds). They start at about 8 seconds down and it decreases steadily every level by roughly 2/10s of a second. Every 7 stages starting at level 16 enemies and fireballs will speed up - the fastest wraps up around level 63 (the original Coleco release maxed speed out around level 20-something, but people found it too easy.)

If you want to see that speed, hold fire (might be joystick only) and press '9' before you press '5' to insert a coin. ;) You'll start on bonus stage 63 then be thrown into the heat of it.

• Like 3