IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

so you see the elevators normally for a few rounds, then it unexpectedly corrupts? That would be odd to blame on the F18A, since it should be getting the same commands every time it sets up. If it was on the pie factory or something that doesn't show up for a while it would make more sense -- can you confirm?

so you see the elevators normally for a few rounds, then it unexpectedly corrupts? That would be odd to blame on the F18A, since it should be getting the same commands every time it sets up. If it was on the pie factory or something that doesn't show up for a while it would make more sense -- can you confirm?

Correct I see the elevators a few rounds. I was wondering if it could be how the software is witten? I read in the geneve thread that donkey Kong also does not work because of the newer video chip? (9918 vs 9928) I am guessing here. I just did it using PSP and tisim that worked okay so far....unfortunately I do not have access to my real TI now for 4-6 weeks because of travel.

I guess if it doesn't work on Geneve it's /possible/, but without getting a better idea when the corruption happens it'll be tough to nail down. I can't look myself, but if we can get the condition down I can dig in with Classic99.

• Like 1

wow, globeron you're very good!

As I said, I cannot win at this game even though I really like it. So let me post my current best score, even if far from globeron:

post-45282-0-91432400-1460324436_thumb.png

I cannot take a screenshot of the game over screen, because after few seconds the game returns to the main screen.

Also, I think this was the very first time I reached level 3 and saw the fourth kind of stage (with the automatic belts).

I had a wrong memory: for some reason I believed that the TI99 version of DK only had 3 different stages. Do the TI version have all the same stages as the original DK?

I had a wrong memory: for some reason I believed that the TI99 version of DK only had 3 different stages.

I was surprised, I thought it only had three too. :) Suffice to say you've all whipped my tail, I can't even get the 30k again! :)

I guess it does have all four. :)

Just to help troubleshoot the screen corruption, here's my copy of DK patched for 15 lives and no collisions (you can still die by falling or walking into Kong though). If it reproduces on this one, hopefully it'll help figure out why.

To avoid use in cheating, I also disabled scoring. ;)

attachicon.gifCheatyKong.zip

Thanks a ton for this trainer version!!! Cheaty Kong is the best! I remember one summer as a kid, playing finally to the first elevator screen, and then the TI freaking out until I let it cool down. I'd try again the next day, and the next, usually not able to get to the first elevator screen again. I am really bad at arcade games, even though I love them.

I don't think I would have ever seen the other screen without this.

-M@

• 2 weeks later...

Had a moment and improved slightly.

Somethings I noticed while playing the Atarisoft "Cracked" version don't know if it's just me, this version or if it even happens to others.

On the elevator level if you start by moving up...

1) you chance corrupting the VDP somehow. This seemed to happen about 1 of 10 times. The game is still running but the screen goes garbage. This always happens on the jump from the middle platform to the second elevator.

2) You chance falling through the first elevator even though your jump is good.

If you start the level by pressing jump then these two things do not occur.

Pattern for easily beating the girders level is (LOWER LEVEL IS 1 AND TOP LEVEL IS 4)...

PULL RIVET 1-LEFT AND JUMP BACK OVER THE HOLE AND CLIMB UP TO LEVEL 3

PULL RIVET 3-LEFT THEN 4-LEFT

RUN DOWN TO PLATFORM 2 AND GRAB THE HAMMER AND RUN TO THE RIGHT SIDE KILLING FIREBALLS. RUN UNTIL YOU PULL RIVET 2-RIGHT

STAY HERE KILLING FIREBALLS UNTIL YOU HAMMER RUNS OUT

CLIMB UP AND PULL RIVET R-RIGHT AND 4-RIGHT.

CLIMB DOWN TO LEVEL 1 AND GRAB THE HAT.

PULL RIVET 1-RIGHT

If you can kill the fireballs while on the right side of the board then they will re-spawn on the left side and cannot cross the gaps.

post-23893-0-02771400-1461516299_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On the elevator level if you start by moving up...

1) you chance corrupting the VDP somehow. This seemed to happen about 1 of 10 times. The game is still running but the screen goes garbage. This always happens on the jump from the middle platform to the second elevator.

>> This I have seen also, but could not find the root-cause of it.

So I'll claim winner and in an effort to keep this thread going....

Game for the month may is "Guardian" (the robots stealing the pulsing crystals.)

Prize for the highest score at the end of the month is a cartridge containg both "Mad Marvin's great escape and my new game "Tex Turbo and the Big Bug Battles." The cart is a loader type so memory expansion as well as joysticks are required.

If the manual and box is available by then, they will be included as well.

Good luck and game on.

Hull.

• Like 3