1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I kinda want the wii filter in there. Kinda like how games look on the wii makes everything more soft. Or how it looks with the rgb without the chip.

The softness of the Wii output is hugely overstated. I played through all of Mario Galaxy 2 recently by running it through an OSSC to output 960p "upsample2x" "line2x" with faint scanlines on a 4K OLED integer scaling the image to 1920p windowboxed inside of 2160p. Sharp as a tack. Looks very similar to when I run it through my 240p/480i/480p720p/1080p24 JVC broadcast CRT.

Likewise I use line3x on the OSSC with 240p Virtual Console games aka line tripled to 720p which is then integer tripled to 2160p (4K) on my OLED and it too, is sharp as a tack.

Sometimes I think the rep of the Wii is mostly based on people plugging them directly into HDTVs, which always perform non-integer scaling on the video.

The softness of the Wii output is hugely overstated. I played through all of Mario Galaxy 2 recently by running it through an OSSC to output 960p "upsample2x" "line2x" with faint scanlines on a 4K OLED integer scaling the image to 1920p windowboxed inside of 2160p. Sharp as a tack. Looks very similar to when I run it through my 240p/480i/480p720p/1080p24 JVC broadcast CRT.

Likewise I use line3x on the OSSC with 240p Virtual Console games aka line tripled to 720p which is then integer tripled to 2160p (4K) on my OLED and it too, is sharp as a tack.

Sometimes I think the rep of the Wii is mostly based on people plugging them directly into HDTVs, which always perform non-integer scaling on the video.

Which TV model do you have? Does it let you control how the scaling works? It'd be nice to be able to have a set that can force an integer scale.

Edit: I meant to say force a nearest neighbor scale.

Edited by cfillak

Which TV model do you have? Does it let you control how the scaling works? It'd be nice to be able to have a set that can force an integer scale.

Edit: I meant to say force a nearest neighbor scale.

My LG OLED65B7A will happily accept a 960p signal over HDMI, fill it out with black bars, and then double it. Even identifies it as 960p on the GUI.

So using the OSSC I double my 480p to 960p, and I triple my 240p to 720p.

Edited by Beer Monkey

Kevtris has nothing to do with the Super NT menu. And I agree with a previous poster that the font is terrible, luckily they have that alternate font option. What don't these guys think of?

Oh...and Mega NT = Mega Nintendo folks. That makes about as much sense as them releasing a reskined super nt, or Analogue MD, in the first place.

I did write the code for the menu and implement the functionality. That has something to do with it. The extra font was my idea actually. I did not design the menu, however (or its font).

Ya cuz Kevtris has never done this before. He probably has the Genesis/PCE cores ready to go already seeing as they're light-years simpler than the SNES. The Neo Geo core is up in the air I will admit. And if it needs a stronger FPGA I'd say this would be a likely target for an Analogue product in the near future.

Any potential Genesis reskin A) doesn't require a better FPGA B) would be cannibalized by the people who already bought the Super NT C) could be recreated with a simple cartridge/controller adapter, much like their upcoming DAC. D) has about 20% of the potential market of the SNES to begin with. It's just a bad business decision all around, from a company that has always made the right one.

I do not have a genesis or pce core at this time. I don't even know much about the hardware of either, except that the pce is very similar to an NES. It took most of this year just to do the SNES core, so while I am fairly quick in implementation, I am not magic. I am not sure how long a genesis core would take, but probably the better part of 5-6 months. I have to write a complete 68K core for it. There ARE 68K cores, but from what I gather they don't match the timing of the real chip and there may be other incompatibilities. PCE would be easier; I have the CPU and I read through the technical documentation so I have a good idea what it'd take to implement it.

I have a troubleshooting question about the analogue nt mini. Does it sound like my ports are broken? The system only accept the left most port as an input, Is that normal? I ran the port test cartridge rom & get an "INPUT PORT ERROR" message reading 00 00 00 00 when running it.

Do you have the 4 player adapter mode turned on? it might not work well or at all with that turned on.

• Like 7

Knowing how people are impatient I hope kevtris puts a minimal check in the Mini NT and Super NT so that they can't load each others firmwares by accident.

This is correct, they can't load each others' firmwares.

You realize the only reason we got so many cores so rapidly after the NT Mini came out was because they were all already written, right? For all we know, Kevtris will still be working on the SNES core up until a few weeks before the Super NT release. Kevtris has said he has been busy with "paid work" since around March. We know now that paid work was the Super NT/SNES core. That's approximately a 10 month dev cycle. What in the world makes you think a Genesis core and a PC-Engine/PC-Engine CD core could be completed in "a few months" or less?

This is also correct; I released all those cores so fast since they had been prewritten over the years before the release so I had a bunch of stuff nearly ready to go. The only core left in reserve right now is intellivision and the mandelbrot viewer (and SPC player, but that doesn't count now). There are no other cores ready or even started.

• Like 8

I do not have a genesis or pce core at this time. I don't even know much about the hardware of either, except that the pce is very similar to an NES. It took most of this year just to do the SNES core, so while I am fairly quick in implementation, I am not magic. I am not sure how long a genesis core would take, but probably the better part of 5-6 months. I have to write a complete 68K core for it. There ARE 68K cores, but from what I gather they don't match the timing of the real chip and there may be other incompatibilities. PCE would be easier; I have the CPU and I read through the technical documentation so I have a good idea what it'd take to implement it.

In your estimation do you think the fpga in the super nt would be capable of running a tg-16 and cd core? (not asking if it will have the ability to load cores as you can't comment on that, just if it would have the power to if that feature hypothetically existed)

In your estimation do you think the fpga in the super nt would be capable of running a tg-16 and cd core? (not asking if it will have the ability to load cores as you can't comment on that, just if it would have the power to if that feature hypothetically existed)

I doubt it. CD systems need a lot more resources (RAM especially) so probably not. If I were to do a genesis core for anything, it would not have 32x or the CD unit either. Both of those things are very complex and loaded with chips and things. The lack of RAM bandwidth is going to be the main problem with implementing stuff on the FPGA for the near and far future I think. That and how much time I have to write code. (hint: it takes a long time to write the code)

• Like 6

Kevtris, thanks for checking in to cool down alot of the wild speculation going on here recently (which I've contributed a fair bit to admittedly). I hope the work on the Super NT is going smoothly. I've been enjoying my NT Mini alot, exploring all of the different cores. Now I know I didn't waste my money on the PC-Engine i just bought after hearing about the new optical drive emulator for it ( https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1)! Sounds like picking up a Sega CD and 32X will be safe bets for the forseeable future too.

I thought I saw something about an Astrocade core. Is that just on the wishlist for stuff you hope to tackle in the future?

With how fragile actual systems are, this is one I'd love to see.

It's on his list of target systems:

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/systems_V110.txt

My LG OLED65B7A will happily accept a 960p signal over HDMI, fill it out with black bars, and then double it. Even identifies it as 960p on the GUI.

So using the OSSC I double my 480p to 960p, and I triple my 240p to 720p.

Wow, that seems like an amazing set. How's the input lag? Does anything above Line3x work for 240p or do you just stick with Line3x to get an integer scale to 2160p?

• Like 4

The SD2SNES is still a very good flash cart and it has the MSU-1 audio support, which I doubt Kevtris will implement in the jailbroken firmware for the Super NT, since that is stepping on the toes of someone else's currently available products, which he has avoided in the past. So if that's true, then the SD2SNES will be the exclusive home of the MSU-1 hacks. You're not alone in wanting every system in one box! That's what most people on this thread want. I especially am very wary of investing in any CD based systems that don't have any method of loading games from external storage.

As for simulating the expansion chips, I would guess the Super NT would at least be on par with the SD2SNES that is it would cover:

DSP1/1B/2/3/4

ST-010

Cx4

S-RTC

OBC-1

BS-X/Satellaview

As for the chips not covered by SD2SNES:

S-DD1: Used by just 2 games: Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2. A decompression chip that has been reverse engineered resulting in an uncompressed ROM hack for Star Ocean that can play on SD2SNES. I'm not sure if there's a similar hack for Street Fighter Alpha 2. Whether this is supported or not is probably not that important because of the ROM hacks.

SPC7110: Another decompression chip used in 3 games: Far East of Eden Zero, Momotaru Dentetsu Happy, and Super Power League 4. I'm not aware of any ROM hacks for these games that bypass the compression. I'm not sure how complicated the chip is, I'll let others chime in on the feasibility of implementation.

ST-011: Used for just one game: Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi, used for opponent AI. It seems similar to ST-010, so it may be fair to assume it would be implemented.

ST-018: Another chip used for AI in just one game: Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 2. It is a 21.47 MHz 32-bit ARM processor, which is insane, and probably out of the question.

Now, the important ones.

SA-1: Used in 33 games according to Wikipedia, including many favorites like Kirby Super Star and Super Mario RPG. Apparently this chip is similar to the SNES CPU, so I imagine this would be one of the more difficult chips to implement. We don't know if it will fit on the FPGA alongside the whole SNES implementation. If I had to choose between getting SA-1 and SuperFX i'd choose SA-1

SuperFX1-2: Used in 9 games including Star Fox 2. I'm not sure if this would be more or less complicated to implement than SA-1. In my opinion Yoshi's Island is the only worthwhile game in the bunch.

Keep in mind that all of these chips wouldn't have to be loaded onto the same core. There would be an SA-1 core and a SuperFX core.

Just give me FX/FX2, SA-1, and DSP1. And possibly the Megaman X2/X3 chip. The rest of the chips either have rom hacks that do without them, or are obscure Famicom only RPGs/Strategy games that nobody in the west cares about.

MSU-1 meh. Maybe fans could use flashcart or they couldrun roms directly. I have a SED with a donor DSP1 chip and vowed not to buy the expensive sd2snes until the day fx and sa-1 are supported. If Kevtris wanted, he could easily make unofficial sd2snes cores for the flashcart with the missing expansion chips, without stepping on the developer's toes. In fact it would increase sales. Not sure why he'd want to though. Nothing would stop Kevtris from implementing his own cores on the SuperNT if it has the room for it.

Whoa, this menu and the boot screen look (and sound) awesome!

Kevtris, consider adding some simple sounds when navigating the menus (accepting, canceling, moving up/down), please, this could give some nice aural feedback... You might want to work on this together with Squarepusher.

The buffer mode settings look really interesting, but I think we are still missing one setting, i.e. "zero delay/original speed (not compatible with some displays)". Maybe add it to the jailbroken firmware, if you think that it should be for "advanced users only".

Also, I'm waiting for the "skull & crossbones" menu skin. :grin:

A "native timing over hdmi" signal option is unwise imo. My 2006 Sanyo blacked out when I attempted this setting on my ultrahdmi n64, and if the user inadvertently saves such a setting on their device, it could actually bork their device if they can't find such a display that accepts it in order to see the menu to revert changes.

Fortunately the Game Cube digital output is pure 59.94Hz timing so is compatible with 480p/i hdmi output (cable boxes use this standard) so can run zero latency. N64 ultrahdmi mod uses a <1 frame buffer of zero latency with tearing since the console clock cannot be adjusted. FPGA consoles can micro-adjust the clock speed of the hardware to match pure 60Hz which is what the AVS and NT Mini do. It is perfectly acceptible to do this as no human player is going to notice a one second change over ten minutes of play. Only professional speed runners would be concerned about such a nouance, and they should all be using stock hardware on a crt for zero latency and validity. Speeddemosarchive and twin galaxies both require the use of official hardware for validation.

I dont follow that logic. 1080p scales up to 4k just as cleanly as 720p. For those of us that like 5x height by 6x width mode (or really any other 1080p integer scale), the 1080p output scales up to 4k as an integer multiple and may introduce less lag too.

(a bit off topic but 720p output with integer scale forces a 1.33 pixel aspect which looks way too wide IMO)

For 4k, 11x wide by 9x tall would be ideal pixel size.

Over AVS, 720p 4x3 or 3.5x3 are both acceptible, with preference towards 4x3. The slightly wider width is better than ugly moire patterns you get with .25 or .75 patterns (every fourth pixel is odd size which makes scrolling look like ass). A lot of NES games use checkerboard moire patterns for dithering, which still look decent at 3.5 setting.

Also my old 2006 Sanyo LCD doesn't support 1080p (720p/1080i max), so until I get a new hdtv for the living room, I'll be using 720p modes on the Super NT and UltraHDMI (N64).

Ya cuz Kevtris has never done this before. He probably has the Genesis/PCE cores ready to go already seeing as they're light-years simpler than the SNES. The Neo Geo core is up in the air I will admit. And if it needs a stronger FPGA I'd say this would be a likely target for an Analogue product in the near future.

Any potential Genesis reskin A) doesn't require a better FPGA B) would be cannibalized by the people who already bought the Super NT C) could be recreated with a simple cartridge/controller adapter, much like their upcoming DAC. D) has about 20% of the potential market of the SNES to begin with. It's just a bad business decision all around, from a company that has always made the right one.

Speak for yourself dude. Did Analogue hire you to their marketing department? If not then whatever opinions that you claim as fact has zero bearing on final outcome.

If Analog releases a reskinned Super NT with same hardware but genesis cartridge and controller ports, I will buy it. Bonus points if it comes with optional Power Base converter for SMS/GG, or just have the ports built in. At any rate the core will run with a bog standard sms mini adapter, and adding FM synthesis and SG-1000 support would be trivial on FPGA.

I would also buy a reskinned Atari unit as well.

• Like 2

Speak for yourself dude. Did Analogue hire you to their marketing department? If not then whatever opinions that you claim as fact has zero bearing on final outcome.

If Analog releases a reskinned Super NT with same hardware but genesis cartridge and controller ports, I will buy it. Bonus points if it comes with optional Power Base converter for SMS/GG, or just have the ports built in. At any rate the core will run with a bog standard sms mini adapter, and adding FM synthesis and SG-1000 support would be trivial on FPGA.

Atari been done but only 2600 and 7200. Maybe if it does 5200 also.

If they decide just to do a jail brake sega genesis wonder if we can get the Wireless Fighting Commander For Snes Classic to work. Atleast it's layed out good. Can someone test this with there wiress receiver with 8-bit adapter. SO I can go out and grab some wile its easy to get?

Edited by Deltax5

He projects his desire to only have to buy one console that plays everything onto the wider market, Kevtris' behavior/development cycles, and Analogue's business decisions.

• Like 1

It really depends on the business model. Nothing to do with technology. Incidentally, "NT" is commonly known to mean "New Technologies", eg, Windows NT, Zeppelin NT, which basically made the most sense with the NT Mini, because the previous "Analogue NT" used the original NES CPU and PPU.

If the business model of Analogue is to flog as many as possible, then using the same PCB with different cartridge slots would be the logical thing to do. However this doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a EE level since all you need to do is implement the cartridge slot with the most pins (eg the NES's 72 pin slot) , and build pin converters for everything else. This is why the crummy Retron and clone devices with more than one slot are so terrible, because they basically solder 3 PCB's together (NOAC, SNES, SEGA MD/MS) with little regard for build quality. The build quality of a lot of the NOAC type clones look like something out of a "daddy has a hobby selling counterfeit nintendos in the basement". Sure outside they look a bit polished, but the inside is sloppy at best. How else do you sell 10$ worth of parts as an $80 console?

So you actually want to go in both directions:

a) Sell BYOCAG (Bring Your Own Controllers and Games) PnP (Plug and Play) models, that feature the original cartridge and controller ports.

b) Sell two-piece Value-Added pin converters. Instead of having to make 30 different pin converters for each BYOCAG, you only make one common connector (eg a keyed PCIe connector) and thus all the pin converters plug into this PCIe-styled connector, and allows you to make much cheaper lower profile pin converters that are all passive. The part that plugs into the base unit goes "hey, device attached to me is a X, switch to that core"

So the the base pin converter would know if it's plugged into a A4 or A6 FPGA, and if someone plugged in a SNES or MD cart into a NT Mini, it could just do an "unsupported pin converter D: " message.

At any rate that's how I could see that work.

I don't see a physical 32X for a Mega NT ever being supported by virtue of that requiring adding an entire set of analog capture inputs solely for this one part to composite it through HDMI (for reference it costs around $300+ for upscaler FPGA hardware.) It might be within the capability of a FPGA add-on (a la SD2SNES) that works in tandem with the base unit, but it might literately require an add on with three FPGA's, one for each CPU and one for the the rest of the hardware.

Previously stated here and elsewhere, the upper-limit of present FPGA's would be emulating parts in the 33-50Mhz range, which is within the range needed for the 32/psx/saturn, but as kevtris said, memory bandwidth becomes an issue.

It really depends on the business model. Nothing to do with technology. Incidentally, "NT" is commonly known to mean "New Technologies", eg, Windows NT, Zeppelin NT, which basically made the most sense with the NT Mini, because the previous "Analogue NT" used the original NES CPU and PPU.

If the business model of Analogue is to flog as many as possible, then using the same PCB with different cartridge slots would be the logical thing to do. However this doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a EE level since all you need to do is implement the cartridge slot with the most pins (eg the NES's 72 pin slot) , and build pin converters for everything else. This is why the crummy Retron and clone devices with more than one slot are so terrible, because they basically solder 3 PCB's together (NOAC, SNES, SEGA MD/MS) with little regard for build quality. The build quality of a lot of the NOAC type clones look like something out of a "daddy has a hobby selling counterfeit nintendos in the basement". Sure outside they look a bit polished, but the inside is sloppy at best. How else do you sell 10$ worth of parts as an $80 console?

So you actually want to go in both directions:

a) Sell BYOCAG (Bring Your Own Controllers and Games) PnP (Plug and Play) models, that feature the original cartridge and controller ports.

b) Sell two-piece Value-Added pin converters. Instead of having to make 30 different pin converters for each BYOCAG, you only make one common connector (eg a keyed PCIe connector) and thus all the pin converters plug into this PCIe-styled connector, and allows you to make much cheaper lower profile pin converters that are all passive. The part that plugs into the base unit goes "hey, device attached to me is a X, switch to that core"

So the the base pin converter would know if it's plugged into a A4 or A6 FPGA, and if someone plugged in a SNES or MD cart into a NT Mini, it could just do an "unsupported pin converter D: " message.

At any rate that's how I could see that work.

I don't see a physical 32X for a Mega NT ever being supported by virtue of that requiring adding an entire set of analog capture inputs solely for this one part to composite it through HDMI (for reference it costs around $300+ for upscaler FPGA hardware.) It might be within the capability of a FPGA add-on (a la SD2SNES) that works in tandem with the base unit, but it might literately require an add on with three FPGA's, one for each CPU and one for the the rest of the hardware.

Previously stated here and elsewhere, the upper-limit of present FPGA's would be emulating parts in the 33-50Mhz range, which is within the range needed for the 32/psx/saturn, but as kevtris said, memory bandwidth becomes an issue.

Good idea on the pin connectors, though I see this as less of a selling point if and when the jailbreak becomes available. Assuming Super NT gets a jailbreak and Mega NT or other consoles (Atari?) gets released, it becomes an issue of "all 16-bit generation models support all available jailbreak cores, but if you want to play with original carts / hardware, you need to buy a specific model."

Though I wouldn't mind a version with multiple cart slots. I could see them adding at minimum an SMS slot to the Mega NT if it comes out to avoid the use of adapters.

Another idea to chew on is the PCe if one gets released. There is a CD replacement addon coming (I hear you can modify the case of original PCe RAM adapters to fit the TG-16, so knock on wood they reshape the connector to allow it to fit the TG-16, otherwise I'll either be whipping out the dremel or investing in a dusty and well used PCe or Coregrafx).

Regarding a potential PC Engine / Turbografx-16 / Supergrafx FPGA unit, the expansion connector would be a great idea for use with CDs, but brings up a hurdle of what to do with the analog AV connectors on the outputs. Good news that unlike a 32X no mixing of analog video output is done by the CD unit so video output could be left out entirely and a cheap 50c ADC chip could be employed to reroute the audio from the expansion bus (just like the expansion audio on NES/SNES FPGA implementations), even if it adds unnecessary conversions to the audio chain, ie CDDA 44.1kHz stereo -> analog -> 48kHz stereo HDMI.

A "native timing over hdmi" signal option is unwise imo. My 2006 Sanyo blacked out when I attempted this setting on my ultrahdmi n64, and if the user inadvertently saves such a setting on their device, it could actually bork their device if they can't find such a display that accepts it in order to see the menu to revert changes.

I can totally see your point. That's why I suggested Kevtris might want to add it to the jailbroken firmware. If your screen blacks out--just take out the SD card and you're back to the stock firmware. There also could be like two warning screens explaining what to do if your display turns black and asking for confirmation, and/or a special button combination to go back to the default settings, whatever... I've noticed that a few people asked for this functionality, that's the reason why I suggested it. If a user can cope with setting up the jailbroken firmware and searching for all the necessary game files, they should be fine with this option (plus maybe some safeguards).

Kevtris, thanks for checking in to cool down alot of the wild speculation going on here recently (which I've contributed a fair bit to admittedly). I hope the work on the Super NT is going smoothly. I've been enjoying my NT Mini alot, exploring all of the different cores. Now I know I didn't waste my money on the PC-Engine i just bought after hearing about the new optical drive emulator for it ( https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1)! Sounds like picking up a Sega CD and 32X will be safe bets for the forseeable future too.

It's on his list of target systems:

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/systems_V110.txt

Wow, that seems like an amazing set. How's the input lag? Does anything above Line3x work for 240p or do you just stick with Line3x to get an integer scale to 2160p?

Display lag is 21ms in GAME mode, the OSSC of course adds maybe a millisecond. Either way you're talking about a frame and a half at the most.

Line4x and Line5x work fine, though of course they result in black bars or overscan.

The set also has no issues with the native scan rate of a real NES or SNES which i also nice.

On the Nt Mini, if you select or force a display mode that the display does not support, like 1080/50p for example, you can reset the console to default settings by holding start as you boot it. The console should use the EDID to figure out a resolution that the display can support. I assume the same feature will be in the Super Nt.

Edited by Great Hierophant

On the Nt Mini, if you select or force a display mode that the display does not support, like 1080/50p for example, you can reset the console to default settings by holding start as you boot it. The console should use the EDID to figure out a resolution that the display can support. I assume the same feature will be in the Super Nt.

Now to reset it, you hold reset down on power up to do it.

• Like 2