1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You need to calibrate it by tuning the set pot.

EDIT: Bratwurst beat me to it. :P

Unfortunately I already have the set pot maxed to the right side. Looks like I may attempt Bratwurst's suggestion and replace a few components. I'll have to take it apart and determine if I can do it.

Edited by Sneakyturtleegg

So I tried out a newer Final Fantasy III (Famicom) Translation on the NT mini yesterday that changes the game to MMC5, and it worked fine, and saving worked too. https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2701/

However, the save file is created in the root of the SD card, and not the directory that the ROM is in. So when I turned the system off and came back later, there were no saves showing on the game, but once I moved the ROM to the root directory of the SD, it was able to pull up the saves. Figured I'd post that here in case anyone else has this issue.

• Like 2

So I tried out a newer Final Fantasy III (Famicom) Translation on the NT mini yesterday that changes the game to MMC5, and it worked fine, and saving worked too. https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2701/

However, the save file is created in the root of the SD card, and not the directory that the ROM is in. So when I turned the system off and came back later, there were no saves showing on the game, but once I moved the ROM to the root directory of the SD, it was able to pull up the saves. Figured I'd post that here in case anyone else has this issue.

Is that rom patched and available in the smokemonster rom packs? I'm not sure if I have that one in my set or not.

Does any future saving keep the save file in the proper location or do you have to move it every time you play?

WIll I have some issue with a n8 by chance.

Is that rom patched and available in the smokemonster rom packs? I'm not sure if I have that one in my set or not.

I don't think it is. I manually patched the rom.

Does any future saving keep the save file in the proper location or do you have to move it every time you play?

The only way I've found for the game to find the save file is to place the rom in the root directory, because that's where the system generates the .sav file for whatever reason. I'm not sure if it's because it's MMC5 or what. Other NES roms on the system that use savefiles just generate the savefile in whatever folder the rom is. I hope that made sense.

WIll I have some issue with a n8 by chance.

I'm not even sure if this translation works with the N8. Unfortunately I don't have one to test. I'm using the jailbreak firmware to load the rom.

• Like 1

Does this happen for you for any other MMC5 titles? https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/MMC5

What file name are you using for the patched rom?

I'll have to test those this weekend hopefully. I think I called the rom "ff3newtranslation.nes" or something like that. Filename shouldn't really make a difference should it?

It would only make a difference if the name is really long, longer than 32 characters I think. This would truncate the filename of the .sav file, but I have no idea why the save would be put in the root directory.

• Like 1

It would only make a difference if the name is really long, longer than 32 characters I think. This would truncate the filename of the .sav file, but I have no idea why the save would be put in the root directory.

Maybe there is a .. in the filename?

Which if that's the case, that's actually a security/bug issue that should be fixed

• Like 1

I think it's because the filename had a "+" in it. I went to play the game again tonight and it didn't load the most recent save. I checked the SD card and this time the most recent save file was in the atari 2600 rom folder for some strange reason! I renamed the rom to "FF3.nes" and now it seems to be creating and loading the save file in the proper directory.

Edited by shadowrunner
  • Like 1

I hope he includes a cheat menu for the cores also. Makes playing games like Pokemon alot easier since there is no way to transfer your mons if any the gb systems will be included. Just an example.

There will be a cheat menu right without anything for snes in the menu's.

Edited by Deltax5

If the genisis comes out some good controlers would be CAPCOM PAD SOLDIER, ASCIIWare Fighter Pad, SNES GAME PAD 6 BY PERFORMANCE by doing a quick google search.

I think a snes classic comander could work with a 8-bitdo if you connect the receaver to a wii controller. I think. but it will most likly cause a bit delay since it's 2 different wireless singles it has to deal with.

I hope they let us lay out the buttons how we want in the menu's.

noising around his youtube channel and noticed he is making cartrage adapters so you can use real carts now for the analogue nt. I hope he makes them for the super nt when he releases the other cores.

Well, you can't "use real carts now" because they haven't been manufactured, but hopefully soon. And we hope he releases other cores for the Super Nt, and if so, it would certainly be great to get cartridge adapters too.

noising around his youtube channel and noticed he is making cartrage adapters so you can use real carts now for the analogue nt. I hope he makes them for the super nt when he releases the other cores.

Well, you can't "use real carts now" because they haven't been manufactured, but hopefully soon. And we hope he releases other cores for the Super Nt, and if so, it would certainly be great to get cartridge adapters too.

Sucky thing about this, if the Super NT gets JB software, Kevtris will have to make a whole other round of adapters for the SNES cards. :P

Naturally any system utilizing expansion audio would also need the connectors on the expansion slots to feed it through. Not sure if enough pins for the NES bus though... :P :p

If the genisis comes out some good controlers would be CAPCOM PAD SOLDIER, ASCIIWare Fighter Pad, SNES GAME PAD 6 BY PERFORMANCE by doing a quick google search.

I think a snes classic comander could work with a 8-bitdo if you connect the receaver to a wii controller. I think. but it will most likly cause a bit delay since it's 2 different wireless singles it has to deal with.

I hope they let us lay out the buttons how we want in the menu's.

IMO, connecting a Wiimote to an 8bitdo receiver so that you can plug a second wireless receiver into the Wiimote for a third controller, sounds like a really bad idea.

• Like 1

Cool, I'll be interested in hearing your results. While we're on the topic of controller adapters, is anybody aware of an adapter thats the reverse of this:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_to_wiimote/index.php

I just received a SNES classic edition as a gift and I'd eventually like to be able to use the included freshly manufactured OEM SNES controllers on the Super NT.

Looks like Raphnet just came out with exactly this adapter:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/classic_to_snes/index.php

Now any Wii Classic Controller, SNES Classic Mini controllers can be used on real SNES hardware/the Super NT, as well as the NT Mini via the passive Raphnet SNES->NES adapter.

• Like 2

THey gotta start supporting other formats other then fat32 wtih all these things. Why not use the full speeds.

"they" eh. The problem is exfat is under heavy patent protection, and you have to pay a microsoft tax to use it. Not to mention, the spec isn't even available unless you pay MS a lot of money. So I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. This is why lots of things only support FAT32. My dashcam is a good example. It will format SD cards up to 64 gigs in size with FAT32 for use with the camera since windows was artificially restricted to format only a maximum of 32 gigs as FAT32 and anything larger must be exfat. This is an artificial limitation designed to make MS money via licensing fees. As far as I know, exfat hasn't been fully reverse engineered yet.

The patents for FAT32 and long file names ran out, so microsoft decided to create another patent encumbered format to keep the gravytrain rolling in.

• Like 6

Use any third party formatting program and the capacity limit of FAT32 becomes 2TB. At that point, it is the file size limit of 4GB-1 byte that becomes more of an issue, but this would not be an issue for the Nt Mini or Super Nt, given the file size of ROM files.

2TiB is only the volume size limitation when using an MBR (Master Boot Record) partition scheme. Using GPT you can have a volume up to 16TiB. Needless to say, this is not an issue for any retro consoles without an optical drive. Here's some stats from the Redump sets from about a year ago:

Dreamcast: 0.614 TB (564 dumps, avg. 1.11 GB per disc)

GameCube: 2.318 TB (1746 dumps, avg. 1.36 GB per disc)

PS1: 3.605 TB (8204 dumps, avg. 0.45 GB per disc)

PS2: 16.046 TB (6844 dumps, avg. 2.40 GB per disc)

PS3: 14.889 TB (1618 dumps, avg. 9.42 GB per disc)

PSP: 1.325 TB (1586 dumps, avg. 0.86 GB per disc)

Saturn: 0.642 TB (1554 dumps, avg. 0.42 GB per disc)

Wii: 4.460 TB (1031 dumps, avg. 4.43 GB per disc)

Xbox: 11.274 TB (1585 dumps, avg. 7.28 GB per disc)

Xbox 360: 4.685 TB (658 dumps, avg. 7.29 GB per disc)

Any system using full sized DVDs as the game medium will run up against the 4GB file size limit of FAT32.

Edited by cfillak
  • Like 1