1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1. 32X isn't doable, but Sega CD support can happen via an expansion slot.

2. So a $200 plain SNES is OK, but not a Genesis? What is this double standard? Its almost like you don't think the Genesis is worthy of such a standalone product. I've got some news or you, there are lots of people, including myself, who prefer the Genesis over the SNES.

3. Killer RGB alone is irrelevant unless you plan to buy an expensive external scaler. Yes, I know you can by component or Scart cables for CRT/PVM use, but we are talking about hooking up to an HDTV.

1) expansion slot for a cd player in 2018, just no

2) 200$ for a plain snes isn't ok...it's pointless with a modded snes jr and ossc for instance. That's why there needs to be a core store or at least a replacement for sd2snes to make it worth it. RGB Genny is 30$, and the 100% flash cart is 50$, not comparable.

3) ossc...

Super NT is advertized and sold as a 100% accurate reproduction of the Super Nintendo, plus high performance zero lag, zero blur scaling to modern hi-definition. It does pretty damn well at that.

You can't play any games at all on SD2SNES, it's a flash cart, not a console. Conversely, Super NT is a console. not a flash cart. You CAN use SD2SNES in your Super NT if you want.

So does my modded snes jr, at half the price. Needs NT mini cores or at least ds-1 jailbreak support for the Super NT to be anything really.

I can't play games on my Sd2snes?????!!! But I have the HDMI plugged directly into the cart!? MIND BLOWN!!!

Edited by Nomenclature

plz just move this to PMs

This is now impossible as the coward blocked me.

Now for anyone that actually has the FX multicart can you confirm that it is the new SNES Classic release or the "new beta version" that was floated around before the SNES Classic rom got released?

Also does anyone have any information on this All in One SA-1 multicart that D3ltax55 had brought up? Is this going to be a retro circuit release or is someone else working on an all in one?

2) 200$ for a plain snes isn't ok...it's pointless with a modded snes jr and ossc for instance. That's why there needs to be a core store or at least a replacement for sd2snes to make it worth it. RGB Genny is 30$, and the 100% flash cart is 50$, not comparable.

3) ossc...

So does my modded snes jr, at half the price. Needs NT mini cores or at least ds-1 jailbreak support for the Super NT to be anything really.

I can't play games on my Sd2snes?????!!! But I have the HDMI plugged directly into the cart!? MIND BLOWN!!!

I think you underestimate the number of people who just want an easy way to play on HDMI and don't own an OSSC.

There is also value in getting new hardware thats much more likely to last the next 10 years as compared to some snes jr off ebay.

cost sens jr

cost of rgb mod board

cost to get mod board installed if you can't do it yourself

cost of ossc (hope your TV is compatible with the slightly off spec hdmi..)

cost of rgb cable

cost of everdrive/sd2snes

or

cost of Super NT

For some people the first scenario might make more sense, especially if you already own any parts of that equation or only intend on playing on CRTs anyway. However I'd bet those are a minority compared to the number of people that want an easy and highly accurate way to play the games of their childhood on a modern HDTV without having to mess with tons of extra stuff.

• Like 1

3) ossc...

1. I don't see a problem with an expansion port.

2. Modded SNES Jr + OSSC costs more, so no it isn't pointless. Plus, it doesn't come with rom loading or built in game genie.

3. Yeah an extra $200 cost on top of a modded SNES JR.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

Even just a modded SNES JR is ~$150+ if you don't do the mod yourself.

I was considering that route myself initially...

SNES jr in good condition: $65

voultar mod: $75

shipping cost for mod work (to/from): $20

quality RGB cable: $23 (?)

-------------------------

Total: $183

We're almost at the price of the SNT and we haven't even gotten to the upscaler yet.

Considering that the jailbroken SNT also includes Super Everdrive functionality (with much faster loading and a better UI) it certainly is a bargain!

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 1

Even just a modded SNES JR is ~$150+ if you don't do the mod yourself.

I was considering that route myself initially...

SNES jr in good condition: $65

voultar mod: $75

shipping cost for mod work (to/from): $20

quality RGB cable: $23 (?)

-------------------------

Total: $183

We're almost at the price of the SNT and we haven't even gotten to the upscaler yet.

Considering that the jailbroken SNT also includes Super Everdrive functionality (with much faster loading and a better UI) it certainly is a bargain!

Yeah, its like that dude assumes everyone already owns a modded SNES JR.

For what it's worth, I already own a 1-chip snes, a framemeister and the rgb cables, yet I still ordered a super nt for convenience and added features.

I also occasionally have issues with my snes where if the cart isn't shoved in just right and tilted slightly towards the front the game won't show up on screen.

I don't think it needs to be either have one or the other, and both are great options.

Edited by lekrang

Did you try... reading the first line of the product description? Here, I'll quote it for you:

"The Super FX All In One is one of our completely custom, menu-based cartridges that holds every FX game ever released for the Snes."

Also before the Star Fox game it says "New" so I would assume that means the 2017 version.

And lastly... why wouldn't you use the contact page for retrocircuits to contact them about questions you had about their product and ask here instead?

It has 9 fx games basically all the NA games, wished for some unreleased games or some hacks but for what it is it's good. Works grate on the currect firmware and cheats work after soft reset, well I just got it and be warned it's backordered so you will be waiting a week or more. (well i am going to test it out with different codes another time.). I actually ask them if they can take out doom or something for the star fox 2 beta and they told me they sell the cartage as is. SIgh.

DOOM

STAR FOX

STAR FOX 2 CLASSIC (THE ONE on the snes classic)

STAR FOX SUPER Weekend

winter gold

Stunt race FX

Yoshi's island

Dirt Trax FX

Vortex

post-63303-0-93249900-1520716165_thumb.jpg

Edited by D3ltax55
  • Like 1

It has 9 fx games basically all the NA games, wished for some unreleased games or some hacks but for what it is it's good. Works grate on the currect firmware and cheats work after soft reset, well I just got it and be warned it's backordered so you will be waiting a week or more. (well i am going to test it out with different codes another time.). I actually ask them if they can take out doom or something for the star fox 2 beta and they told me they sell the cartage as is. SIgh.

DOOM

STAR FOX

STAR FOX 2 CLASSIC (THE ONE on the snes classic)

STAR FOX SUPER Weekend

winter gold

Stunt race FX

Yoshi's island

Dirt Trax FX

Vortex

attachicon.giffx cart.jpg

Thanks for the information. Is the All in One SA-1 multicart you were talking about coming from retro circuit or from someone else?

Is there a link to all the LED custom patterns done on here? I would like to try some of them.

Thanks

I don't know of any others besides these:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-367?do=findComment&comment=3978645

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-367?do=findComment&comment=3979176(Contains my example patterns besides the program itself)

• Like 2

NT Mini had expansion ports for a floppy drive and other things. A Genesis FPGA would be great to support the CD via expansion port. Just yes..

The NT Mini was also $500.

What has been said repeatedly, is that you are adding additional cost just to design a system that works with real SegaCD units, as the unit would have to either be the same size as a MD I or MD II, and would only work with the SegaCD I or II model. Technically only the MD II was designed to work with it's companion Sega CD II unit. The MD I was not designed to work with a CD unit at all, Sega Engineers basically had to overengineer past design mistakes in the MD I.

So adding a Sega CD expansion connector to something the size of the Super NT, would require additional engineering, plus additional parts to secure it to a real Sega CD unit. Like it would almost make more sense to rotate the console 90 degrees and put carts in label facing left so the long side of the console can connect to a Sega CD unit, and it would still require mounting hardware to make it fit the footprint of the unit.

Like there's no point to this. The MD has no less than 9 types of storage medium:

- 32X

- SegaCD

- MD cart

- Master System/SG1000/SG3000 cart (JP version)

- SG3000+SF7000 Floppy Disk

- SG3000+Data Recorder (audio cassette)

- Master System/SG3000 cards

- Master System US version

- Game Gear

Of these, some of these things don't even work on the same model. Like the BASIC carts only work in the specific SG1000 or SG3000 because they add memory.

So it comes to the "why not X?" argument. For all intents, the GG, Master System, and SG1000/SG3000 carts are just different forms of the same thing, and the MD can run all of them except the carts that add features, or use specific video modes from the SG1000, because the MD has the master-system CPU in it, but not the entire VDP or i/o bus. So all of these can be addressed by a pin converters, or perhaps one "multi cart" pin converter which is what the "power base converter" was.

That leaves the issues of the 32X and SegaCD which are basically self-contained consoles, where the 32X passes through MD carts, but needs it's own video output, and the SegaCD attaches to an expansion slot that wasn't designed for it originally, and requires audio to be connected separately. So someone who builds a FPGA genesis either needs to make all the mistakes made by Sega and essentially clone the original model, or they can clone the second model's foot print, but both of these are far larger than the Super NT.

It would be better, realistically, to just build a MD clone that has the power-base-converter built in (basically having a MD, Master System, GG and Master System Card slot, and focus on the carts rather than trying to build something that works with the SegaCD hardware itself. That would allow it to have more compatibility than the actual MD, as the MD didn't support the SG1000 video modes.

It's not entirely unreasonable to ask for the SegaCD connector, but it would be damn near impossible to design something that can attach to it and work, read any forum on the SegaCD and about how much of a pain in the ass the connection is.

• Like 1

I actually ask them if they can take out doom or something for the star fox 2 beta and they told me they sell the cartage as is.

That tells me that they don't make the carts themselves. They probably have a stockpile of chips already with those games on it.

That leaves the issues of the 32X and SegaCD which are basically self-contained consoles, where the 32X passes through MD carts, but needs it's own video output, and the SegaCD attaches to an expansion slot that wasn't designed for it originally, and requires audio to be connected separately. So someone who builds a FPGA genesis either needs to make all the mistakes made by Sega and essentially clone the original model, or they can clone the second model's foot print, but both of these are far larger than the Super NT.

It would be better, realistically, to just build a MD clone that has the power-base-converter built in (basically having a MD, Master System, GG and Master System Card slot, and focus on the carts rather than trying to build something that works with the SegaCD hardware itself. That would allow it to have more compatibility than the actual MD, as the MD didn't support the SG1000 video modes.

It's not entirely unreasonable to ask for the SegaCD connector, but it would be damn near impossible to design something that can attach to it and work, read any forum on the SegaCD and about how much of a pain in the ass the connection is.

That is incorrect. Sega CD audio passes through the expansion pins. You do not need to use the patch cable and Sega CDs RCA outs. All audio can be taken from the Genesis 3.5mm jack. So, Kevtris could simply route the digital audio just like SD2SNES MSU1 audio.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

I've been wondering about that. I've noticed a lot of other gaming forums have the same tone this thread has picked up.

I think a lot of it has to do with the lowered price point bringing a more diverse variety of new members.

When the jailbreak cores started dropping, NT mini suddenly became a bargain, but there was still a fairly sizable barrier to entry. I think that the coincidental release of the AVS, at half the price, also kept a lot of the NES fans from jumping on nt mini. I've heard from some that it's hard for them to go back farther than NES, for whatever reason.

There was a time I'd say it was because we tended a few years older, but at this point, even snes fans should be quite old enough, they're just quite numerous.

I will also mention that even before the big member rush, maybe before there was even an nt mini, we started to go a bit off in this thread--but I assumed it was the residual taint from fumes from the coleco chameleon shells. (I know I overindulged a bit in them).

I think the fumes have dissipated. I somehow believe it is the type of games causing this. It's something I'm continuing to study. I don't think it has anything to do with jailbreak.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information. Is the All in One SA-1 multicart you were talking about coming from retro circuit or from someone else?

It was a youtube guy who mentioned it. I think he works for retro circus or something. Retrocircus has other people who make there carts so I think. Like john riggs. I think you can get a kit to make your own carts. I did email retro circus and they did tell me the sa-1 all in one is being worked on but has some complications. They have a hole lot of multi games and do hacks and they do custom game carts for most of the chips like SA-1 and FX. Their work is top notch.

The cart I got has a picture of the game and scroll left to right and select the picture of the game and then boots the game.

Edited by D3ltax55
  • Like 1

Some cool stuff:

http://rgbsource.blogspot.com/2018/03/super-nt-firmware-v44-inadvertent.html

It looks like Kevtris' NTT Data Pad fix inadvertently fixed compatibility with a converted Virtual Boy controller.

Here's to hoping Kevtris ever musters up the time and interest in a Virtual Boy core. Virtual Boy is one of the gaps in my setup that I've tried to fill with emulation on my Wii, but the quality is poor.