IGNORED

You made any collecting mistakes?

G-type

I recently bought a G.O.R.F. cartridge except when I went to play it, it wouldn't fit in my Atari... upon examining the label closer I realized I had bought a Colecovision cartridge by mistake.

I also mistakenly payed way too much on an eBay lot purchase... I think I had meant to watch it, and clicked "buy it now" instead... I'm not really sure what happened.

• Like 1

Biggest mistake I ever made was not understanding my goals early enough in my collection process. I bought a lot of Intellivision games at a steal that included a couple of rarities, a boxed Learning Fun I and Learning Fun II. At the time, I wasn't trying to collect the whole library so I sold them on eBay.

I now wish that I could have them back ... but I'm not willing to spend that amount of money to get them (they're not exactly fun games!).

Oh well ... I just have to wait and get lucky again!

• Like 2

Haha, if you wanted to collect early on (early to mid '90's for me), you HAD to purchase carts if you wanted to check out the games. I had a lot of fun for many years doing just that - and spending a shit ton of money and time tracking things down unfortunately. You know... seeing what all was missed from my youth, etc. Thankfully, made very few mistakes that way when it came or comes to reselling, but I did make a handful of 'em. Like selling my complete U.S. collection of TG-16 games and hardware in the mid 90's for peanuts. :mad:

I will say this... "gaming" and not even necessarily always playing, has taken up waaaaaaaaaay too much of my life as a young adult and even now to an extent. Try not to look at it is as a "mistake" per se, but it is what it is.

Biggest mistake I ever made was not understanding my goals early enough in my collection process. I bought a lot of Intellivision games at a steal that included a couple of rarities, a boxed Learning Fun I and Learning Fun II. At the time, I wasn't trying to collect the whole library so I sold them on eBay.

I now wish that I could have them back ... but I'm not willing to spend that amount of money to get them (they're not exactly fun games!).

Oh well ... I just have to wait and get lucky again!

How could you, what the...sigh! :( It's ok I think we have all done stuff like that, I know I have! Best, Wolfy

Biggest mistake I ever made was not understanding my goals early enough in my collection process.

I tried collecting for too many systems, at one point I had to get hired help to move everything. I would spend more time Chasing and organizing things rather then enjoying them. Nowadays I collect only for:

Apple II

Ti-59

Trs-80 Pocket Computer 1, 2, and 4.

I'm getting rid of my Apple /// stuff slowly but surely. And emulation picks up all the other stuff.

I recently bought a G.O.R.F. cartridge except when I went to play it, it wouldn't fit in my Atari... upon examining the label closer I realized I had bought a Colecovision cartridge by mistake.

Hehe! I once bought a Colecovision River Raid thinking it was a C64 cart. At least your mistake was a bit more understandable.

I have also made the mistake of buying a Colecovision game thinking it was for the Atari VCS, and in most cases the mistake involved a Parker Brother's game. I wonder if the reason Coleco made their cartridge cases the same size as Atari so that they could use the same molds for manufacturing. For what it's worth, after a few mistakes I finally learned what to look for: For Parker Brothers, the easiest way to tell is that the Atari versions are flared near the end and Coleco isn't.

It could have been worse...

You could have Googled Nintendo.

It costs a fortune to collect Nintendo.

Great 'rare' Atari games like H.E.R.O., Tapper, and Pitfall 2 cost $30 or less

Great 'rare' Nintendo games like Little Samson, Earthbound, and Bubble Bobble 2 cost a house, firstborn child , and wife.

1. Googling atari.
2. Finding AtariAge.
3. Ruining my life!!
:P

Selling Atlantis II, Ultravision Karate (t-handle), Ultravision Condor Attack (t-handle), complete Quadrun CIB, Stronghold, Cakewalk, Lochjaw, and one more rare game I can't recall at the moment to buyatari instead of keeping them for my collection many years back. I have never seen another Karate since the one I managed to find. Also sold Cubicolor #19 many years ago and I will never be able to get another one of them either.

Same here on buying a CV cart and thinking it was for VCS. In my case, it was Artillery Duel.

I like the Parker Brother Boxed Colecovision boxes - They stand the test of time - Unless you have kids and one of them plops their bum down on the lid - (turns around and looks at kids while typing message)

(Sorry no regrets here - Only when I get spouse scolded for too much mail)

• Like 1

I have also made the mistake of buying a Colecovision game thinking it was for the Atari VCS, and in most cases the mistake involved a Parker Brother's game. I wonder if the reason Coleco made their cartridge cases the same size as Atari so that they could use the same molds for manufacturing. For what it's worth, after a few mistakes I finally learned what to look for: For Parker Brothers, the easiest way to tell is that the Atari versions are flared near the end and Coleco isn't.

Similar Parker Bros. cartridges actually worked out for me! Last year I was at a thrift shop when I found a rare Tutankham cart for the Colecovision. I went to the cash and the clerk thought it is was an Atari cart, he checked prices on EBay and sold it to me for 5$ ! Yahoo!

Collecting mistakes? Oh gwad yes I have,... regrettably/stupidly I've spent thousands on the Jaguar, ridiculous amounts of money over the years on Jaguar stuff because of my OCD-gotta have everything for it attitude - not to make a awesome display shelf tho (as everythings in the closet and no one has ever seen it all-then they would then know I have a problem & I'm Atari crazy lol), but only to have all kinds of software to run on the machine and play for my entertainment, I thought that was cool. The Jaguar had a small library so I wanted it all, but I spent well beyond my means, now I'm in trouble financially -partially because of my relentless Jaguar sublimational purchases.

I have no family, so if I don't sell it all before I die, it will likely all go in the trash, by some government corpse cleanup team who finds my body in some lonely place in a profound state of decompositional mastication decayed into the cold bed that I've made for myself.

Years pass, interests and hobbies change, material(things) wealth means nothing in the end, fires ravage, theives steal, floods rage, dust collects, things wear out/break/get lost damaged - so why invest in "stuff" - is that going to make you happy? really?

My advice - don't collect, spending thousands on Atari -if your young you will think you will live forever on this earth - that's not the case and if you continue collecting it will only become a burden to house and protect and move your stuff around in life, causing you to have stress because so much money is tied up in it all. I could of have any number of other things if I wanted to buy those instead.

As it is now, I have been thinking about liquidating my extensive Jaguar collection as i feel thanatos creeping up on me.

Best advice I seen here is "flashcarts/multicarts for systems" - just do that.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 3

I've never overpaid for anything, fortunately. I collect only what I can pick up for a reasonable price. If a seller wants too much I just move on.

I have accidentally mixed up 2600 and CV carts a few times. I collect for both systems but have ended up with duplicates due to the similarity in cart sizes. As stated above, the Parker Bros. are the easiest to get wrong. I've also made the mistake of buying a cart that I think I needed only to discover that I already have it.

• Like 1

I have no family, so if I don't sell it all before I die, it will likely all go in the trash, by some government corpse cleanup team who finds my body in some lonely place in a profound state of decompositional mastication decayed into the cold bed that I've made for myself.

Years pass, interests and hobbies change, material(things) wealth means nothing in the end, fires ravage, theives steal, floods rage, dust collects, things wear out/break/get lost damaged - so why invest in "stuff" - is that going to make you happy? really?

My advice - don't collect, spending thousands on Atari -if your young you will think you will live forever on this earth - that's not the case and if you continue collecting it will only become a burden to house and protect and move your stuff around in life, causing you to have stress because so much money is tied up in it all. I could of have any number of other things if I wanted to buy those instead.

As it is now, I have been thinking about liquidating my extensive Jaguar collection as i feel thanatos creeping up on me.

This is kinda sad. I hope you are feeling okay? If your collection feels like a burden, than selling it sounds like a good move. For me, I am still having fun with it for now. If that ever changes I might start selling (if I can overcome my hoarding impulses)

Selling Atlantis II, Ultravision Karate (t-handle), Ultravision Condor Attack (t-handle), complete Quadrun CIB, Stronghold, Cakewalk, Lochjaw, and one more rare game I can't recall at the moment to buyatari instead of keeping them for my collection many years back. I have never seen another Karate since the one I managed to find. Also sold Cubicolor #19 many years ago and I will never be able to get another one of them either.

Wow! I don't want to derail this thread, but I would love to hear the story of how you acquired all those rarities. I know in my early days of collecting (early 90s) I wouldn't have even known these existed or were rare before the internet came along.

Wow! I don't want to derail this thread, but I would love to hear the story of how you acquired all those rarities. I know in my early days of collecting (early 90s) I wouldn't have even known these existed or were rare before the internet came along.

Two things come to mind- first is buying a controller extension for what I thought was Gamecube, turned out to be N64. Second is thinking I was buying Burgertime for the Intellivision and realizing at home it had the Atari bit on the end... and that I already had Burgertime for the Intellivison anyway. When your worst mistakes only add up to $20, you're doing fairly good. Or haven't bought enough stuff, I'm not sure. I'm running with it on the carts- I'm making sure when I get a Colecovision, I get Burgertime again, just to be silly. Burgertime everywhere!

Actually, what those two instances have in common is shopping with a specific friend, we get so into discussing the various neat things on hand at the game stores I pay way less attention to what I'm doing than I should. So the REAL lesson is, exercise caution when game shopping with friends!