IGNORED

COST OF NEW GAMES? - Blah Blah Woof Woof / CRAP Games

BBWW

I would like to announce the sales of Roms of any new homebrew game I am involved in at this time.

For the low low bargain of:

$0.00!

I accepy money orders and PayPal.

The Intellivision Revolution has finally culminated in the People's Republic of Intellivision (or Union of Soviet Intellivision Republics, if you prefer it):

FREE GAMES FOR EVERYONE !!!

Thanks, Rev

Edited by intellivotion
  • Like 2

All this talk about vinyl is timely for me. Went to a record fair yesterday and it is packed with people frantically buying records. Cannot begin to estimate how much money must have traded hands. Strangely enough, it is the teens and 20s who are buying the wax. It is CDs they hold in contempt. Myself, I am just glad to live in an age where once again almost every new release is on vinyl and there is usually an electronic copy download for my ipod. Maybe such a model for carts is a possibility.

The Intellivision Revolution has finally culminated in the People's Republic of Intellivision (or Union of Soviet Intellivision Republics, if you prefer it):

FREE GAMES FOR EVERYONE !!!

Thanks, Rev

Ha! A little dramatic would you not agree. :P

Something that the young generations can't understand. I think we're getting old... :_(

It's not really about being old. I grew up with vinyl (and in my family, 8 track!) and I absolutely LOVE not dealing with physical media. But I listen to a lot of music, pretty much non-stop whenever I can.

I have no room to store all of the physical media. Nor the time/patience to constantly move around and change the record/tape/CD every time I want to listen to something new (minimum every hour of every day for my entire life). Nor the ability to take it on the road with me easily. Digital audio and huge storage in a small package is the greatest invention of mankind. I did the same thing with books last year, and I swore I'd never EVER give up the "feel of turning pages". Best decision I ever made. I freed up an entire wall of my basement for more games, made a bunch of hoarders/collectors very happy (they all got donated), and I'm reading 10x as much as I used to. E-readers are just so bloody handy.

And yet... I have a basement stuffed full of video games in all formats. Thousands of them. Of course I play primarily ROMs out of convenience (for systems I have multicarts for, a list which grows by the year). But I refuse to pay for "digital downloads" that I can't make a backup of, are tied to a specific piece of hardware, or that can just up and stop working because some company feels like they need another buck from me.

Vinyl's still fun for scratching, and display. But the sound itself, and the hassle involved in making it work - the only time I'd listen to vinyl these days is if I go whole-hog oldschool and buy a crank-power gramophone. THAT would be hot shit.

Anyway. Sometimes something new is in fact better. So long as it actually IS better. A DRM-laden, device-fixed, vendor-dependent ROM is NOT better. But a ROM that I can use whenever, however, on whatever I want? The only advantages that a physical copy has are the collector value and shelf appeal. Which have tremendous value, of course. It'd sure be nice if they always came with a ROM copy as well. Best of both worlds and all that.

My point is that it is only "the producer's choice" as long as we keep this Byzantine production system with high barriers to entry and high costs. In this small market, there is absolutely no need to require a programmer to get in bed with a producer and lose control of the release of his game unless he wants a big fancy production. The programmer -- he who makes the games -- should have the choice.

-dZ.

Thanks for agreeing with me, that is why I backed exactly what you were saying! Thank you, Wolfy

As I am saying, make them and release games however anyone needs to do so and I will purchase it or not. It's all good!

Small market yes,but keep the games coming and the collectors and players will follow. We all love the games, I believe. Only time can shake that out after all! :thumbsup:

No, that is not what happened here. I thought that in some cases the programmer may be the producer as well.

My only point was who ever is making the game and choosing to release it has the right to do it there way. I was as positive as could be so I don't understand you analyzing my post in a negative way.

I hope everyone here has a nice day! :)

No, that is not what happened here. I thought that in some cases the programmer may be the producer as well.

My only point was who ever is making the game and choosing to release it has the right to do it there way. I was as positive as could be so I don't understand you analyzing my post in a negative way.

I hope everyone here has a nice day! :)

I'm sure we'll know precisely what you meant here later on... :lol:

I love playing the games and I love to collect. I would want a CIB for all releases, even if the costs are higher.

Here is what would happen with me if alternative levels of purchase were available. Right now I buy 2 of everything CIB, when that option is available. One to play and one to shelf. If a rom, baggie and CIB of each release were available, I would probably buy the 2 CIB copies like always and then buy the ROM for LTO Flash. If it is a baggie only release, I would probably only buy one.

Although cardboard boxes are cool, I think I'd be just as happy with a generic plastic case and color insert if it meant a $20 reduction in price from the $80 or so some of these releases go for. I wouldn't be as interested in something as simple as a baggie. While I collect vintage baggie computer games from the late 70s and early 80s, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about a modern taken on that.

We all know the real reason you guys are getting into records again.........

meet_GG.gif

i knew you were producing games but not vinyl. You've managed to keep the 3 dead ones still looking fresh. Whats your secret? Please tell me you have realized the dead ones cant escape and you dont still keep them chained up in the basement. :)

^^^^

I'll drink to that! Odds are good If I was to do it again I might do a box release. Piggy came together really fast. There would have been no way to do a box. Not enough time along with everything else, so in that sense it was the only option. We will "Officially" release a Jpeg for a box protector insert this week.

Cart in bag for me...I collect CIB...but yes, there are more games being released these days....KIC (Keep It Cheap).

Recvd Piggy Bank on Monday...and the excitement was to play the game...not to look at a box/overlay.

Much easier for production/shipping/etc.. for the developers. It may help get more games out faster.

Although cardboard boxes are cool, I think I'd be just as happy with a generic plastic case and color insert if it meant a $20 reduction in price from the $80 or so some of these releases go for. I wouldn't be as interested in something as simple as a baggie. While I collect vintage baggie computer games from the late 70s and early 80s, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about a modern taken on that.

Hmmm... Interesting. You mean like the old VHS boxes or like the Xbox 360 cases with a nice prited cover that slips under the clear protective plastic on the outside? I might like that. Wouldn't feel so retro but it isn't the 80's anymore. :)

Something like this:

open.jpg

Might be nice for a change. I dunno.