IGNORED

Scramble - 2600

johnnywc

The NES version really looks very much like the VCS one.

No starfields either in the NES version (because the beta engine that was copied didn't have them), though the system was more than capable of displaying starfield pattern. though it doesn't support true parallax scrolling of background tiles. Also the VCS has a lot more difficulty options.

khan's version has on-cart achievements though and AVS Scoreboard support, so there's more to do than simply an arcade style score attack against yourself.

As far as how the two versions compare, I have defeated the base on the NES version; I cannot for the life of me defeat the base on the VCS beta or the cart release in standard difficulty. Novice mode widens the corridors preceding the base so I can get in. Stage 5 requires extremely precise movements with narrow timing windows for execution, especially in the hard drop/hard rise areas, you need to hold forward on the joystick through the corridor to maximize distance from the left edge, then immediately hit the back diagonal as you ascend or descend the vertical sections and ride it to the bottom or top. I crash every time except novice mode which widens the corridor.

NES version, I made it through and defeated the base. NES has more horizontal pixels and smoother scrolling so maybe this enhances maneuverability?

No starfields either in the NES version (because the beta engine that was copied didn't have them), though the system was more than capable of displaying starfield pattern. though it doesn't support true parallax scrolling of background tiles. Also the VCS has a lot more difficulty options.

Hmmm .. I wonder why he chose the 2600 version to copy; certainly the NES can produce better background detail? Interestingly, it seems that the WALL and MAZE levels are only 2-color in the NES but 3 colors in the 2600 version.

As far as how the two versions compare, I have defeated the base on the NES version; I cannot for the life of me defeat the base on the VCS beta or the cart release in standard difficulty. Novice mode widens the corridors preceding the base so I can get in. Stage 5 requires extremely precise movements with narrow timing windows for execution, especially in the hard drop/hard rise areas, you need to hold forward on the joystick through the corridor to maximize distance from the left edge, then immediately hit the back diagonal as you ascend or descend the vertical sections and ride it to the bottom or top. I crash every time except novice mode which widens the corridor.

NES version, I made it through and defeated the base. NES has more horizontal pixels and smoother scrolling so maybe this enhances maneuverability?

The MAZE and BASE level on STANDARD setting should not be that difficult; is anyone else having the same issue? I believe in the cart edition the difficulty is a little less for the first couple of levels and the difficulty ramping is smoother. The smoother scrolling on the NES version should make the navigation through the MAZE a bit easier, but even the coarse scrolling in the 2600 version should be able to be overcome with some practice. Good luck! :)

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 1

To all:

I have updated the first post with links to the final NTSC and PAL60 versions.

A special thanks to everyone who has purchased the game, we hope you are enjoying the final results!

If you have time, please consider leaving a review in the Atari Age store. The Scramble team would love to hear your feedback! :)

Thanks!

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 13

Just wanted to say that it is awesome and generous of you to make the roms freely available for download, thanks. I'm picking up the 7800 version!

Hello everyone,

It's been a while, but I have returned to 2600 homebrew programming and would like to share my latest game - a port of Konami's Scramble.

OBJECT

For those of you who don't know, Scramble is a side scroller stage-based game, similar to another game I released a while back. Here is the text from the Portland Gaming Expo placard where Scramble was first demo'ed:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Far Can You Invade Our Scramble System?

OBJECTIVE

Scramble is a classic arcade game in which the player must navigate their ship across a side-scrolling terrain through six unique stages. Each stage has its own challenges and obstacles, including ground targets, rockets, fuel tanks, flying saucers and meteors. The player must avoid or destroy these hazards while maintaining the ship's limited fuel supply. The objective is to reach the end stage and destroy the enemy's base while trying to get a high score.

HOW TO PLAY

To play Scramble, use the joystick to navigate your ship over the terrain while avoiding the enemy attacks. Press the fire button to launch missiles and drop bombs (gamepads use button B to fire missiles and button C to drop bombs). Points are scored for travelling a certain distance and destroying enemy installations. Additional fuel is gained by destroying the fuel tanks. A player starts with 3 ships; a bonus ship is awarded at 10,000 points and every 50,000 points. The game ends when all ships have been destroyed. Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:

- one player, 3 skill levels (NOVICE, ARCADE, EXPERT)
- one button alternating missiles/bombs or two-button gamepads (Sega Genesis). Gamepad must be plugged in prior to turning on the game since it is auto-detected.
- Stores up 10 hiscores during the game. If you have a SaveKey or AtariVox, it will save your high scores so they will be available the next time you play. To reset the high score table, press the button and move the joystick right on startup.
- Pause a game using the Color/BW switch or Pause button on a 7800. Press the joystick button to resume the game or flip the Color/BW switch (Pause button on 7800)
- While a game is Paused, if the RIGHT DIFFICULTLY is in the A position, you can use the joystick to change the current stage or level (left/right for stage, up/down for level). Score is reset to 0. Unpause to start a new game from the stage/level selected (good for practice and testing)
- 8 increasing levels of difficultly

I'd like to thank Nathan for doing all the graphics, Bob for graciously letting me use the sounds (and driver) from his 7800 version of Scramble, and Darrell for helping me get up to speed on the DPC+/ARM. They have all spent many hours testing and giving great suggestions and without their help this game would not have been completed (or even started). I'd also like to thank Al and TJ for their suggestions and game testing; also Al for demo'ing the game at the PRGE and this weekend at the Houston Arcade Expo.

Right now I would estimate that the game is 95% complete. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Have fun!

Thanks,
John

**UPDATE**

Here are the final NTSC and PAL60 ROMs that are included in the cart versions available from the Atari Age store:

NTSC: attachicon.gifscramble_final_NTSC.bin

PAL60: attachicon.gifscramble_final_PAL60.bin

Older versions:

attachicon.gifscramble_20160106.bin

attachicon.gifscramble_20160102.bin

attachicon.gifscramble_20151117.bin

attachicon.gifscramble.bin

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that it is awesome and generous of you to make the roms freely available for download, thanks. I'm picking up the 7800 version!

You're welcome! Bob did a great job with the 7800 version - you will not be disappointed! :)

Extremely cool of you to give the ROM away, and so soon!? Had to purchase a copy from the AA Store though... and framed that sexy poster. :love:

attachicon.gifIMG_3328.jpg

You're welcome too! Enjoy the ROM ... I don't think releasing it so soon will deter anyone that really wants to buy the game. The packaging is amazing, and where else are you gonna get such a cool poster? :P

• Like 2

Hmmm .. I wonder why he chose the 2600 version to copy; certainly the NES can produce better background detail? Interestingly, it seems that the WALL and MAZE levels are only 2-color in the NES but 3 colors in the 2600 version.

Did you use Melody/ARM code at all in this game? If not, he may have copied your code since the NES also has a 6502-ish CPU, making at least the game logic easy to steal port.

Less likely is he only ever saw 2600 Scramble and decided to have a go at that instead of any other version.

Wow John, thanks for the rom! Hate to say I don't have a 2600 but I saw this and immediately wanted to play it. Looks better than the C64 version! Shall fire up Retropie tonight :)

Currently working on a side scrolling shooter myself (NES)... not sure I'll be brave enough to be so generous! lol.

As for the physical cart, do you have a decent amount of stock? I'd like to purchase to support the project but I'm low on funds for the next couple of weeks - I just bought two bloody rare Mega Drive games. lol.

• Like 2

...not sure I'll be brave enough to be so generous! lol.

IMO it is an easy decision. Do you want to maximize the number of people who PLAY your game or your sales and profit? And since there are many, much easier ways to earn money, the answer should be clear. icon_smile.gif

As for the physical cart, do you have a decent amount of stock? I'd like to purchase to support the project but I'm low on funds for the next couple of weeks - I just bought two bloody rare Mega Drive games. lol.

Usually the stock is pretty much unlimited. Boxed releases may eventually switch to cheaper unboxed version.
  • Like 1

IMO it is an easy decision. Do you want to maximize the number of people who PLAY your game or your sales and profit? And since there are many, much easier ways to earn money, the answer should be clear. icon_smile.gif Usually the stock is pretty much unlimited. Boxed releases may eventually switch to cheaper unboxed version.

Yeah, good point. Plus if the game is any good it will get ripped anyway. Better if I'm the one to release it:)

Good to know about boxed games! I'm always missing out on new C64 games as they get made in tiny batches. Don't want to miss this one!!!

Wow John, thanks for the rom! Hate to say I don't have a 2600 but I saw this and immediately wanted to play it. Looks better than the C64 version! Shall fire up Retropie tonight :)

You're welcome! Hmmm - I'm not sure if the version of Stella on Retropie (or at least the one I have installed) supports Scramble (DPC+ games), let me know if it works!

Currently working on a side scrolling shooter myself (NES)... not sure I'll be brave enough to be so generous! lol.

Good luck with your game! Like TJ said above, it's more important to me for people to play the games I make; the small amount of $ made is really just bonus that I usually just use to buy other homebrew games! :D

Al would know the numbers, but I know almost half of the original stock had sold out in a few days, but I'm not sure what is left. Thanks for the support either way - it's much appreciated.

Have fun!

• Like 2

You're welcome! Hmmm - I'm not sure if the version of Stella on Retropie (or at least the one I have installed) supports Scramble (DPC+ games), let me know if it works!Good luck with your game! Like TJ said above, it's more important to me for people to play the games I make; the small amount of $ made is really just bonus that I usually just use to buy other homebrew games! :DAl would know the numbers, but I know almost half of the original stock had sold out in a few days, but I'm not sure what is left. Thanks for the support either way - it's much appreciated.Have fun!

Yup it works! I was up playing it last night! It's fantastic!

Sadly I kept crashing in the base. lol

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Scramble is the first homebrew I bought and it's sure impressive! Great Game! And the packaging and poster are awesome.

I'm glad you added the novice setting as it is the only way I've been able to make it to the base. However, I have yet to take the base down. It will happen one day!

• Like 2

I played Scramble for over two hours last night. This is right up there with the best of the homebrew games and the box sits proudly alongside Juno First, Star Castle Arcade, Space Rocks and Thrust in the 2600 hombrew shooter section. The amount of tinkering and polishing to get it right has payed dividends and the release of the rom is the icing on a very delicious cake. Many thanks!

• Like 6