IGNORED

The Atari Xegs Cart by Cart Podcast.

David Alexander

You asked for it, you got it, iTunes. We just got approved!!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/atari-xegs-cart-by-cart-podcast/id1062131864?mt=2

OK, now that I have that finished, there is some more I need to do to the website but everything should be "good enough" for now. Time to focus on finishing my SoftSide #41 coverage for Rob.

The protos from Best are highly suspect... I doubt its a real proto... likely its just something they hacked up and burn themselves.

Best sells other known prototype cartridge repros. So I have no particular reason to doubt them. I said "claims" because I didn't remember seeing any particular information on the supposed Bruce Lee cart elsewhere. But having just done a quick search on Atarimania, I found this: Bruce Lee Prototype. In my eyes, that gives it a little more validity, being that Atarimania are normally a very accurate source of information -- even if they do only cite Best to back it up here.

My guess is that the code on the cartridge itself has been examined by someone at Atarimania, and deemed to be more than just some simple hack. In a manner of speaking, you could call a lot of the XE games that were released "hacks", as existing disk games were reworked to run from high capacity XE cartridge ROM's. That's not to say it's an easy task to get something like that working though, and being that Atari did plenty of these for the XE series cartridges, it's hardly far-fetched that one might have ended up lying around unreleased, and picked up later by Best as some of their other protos were.

Edited by MrFish

Just listened to the first episode, nice work guys :thumbsup:

Glad you are going to discuss the differences / tweaks made for the re-released games, this will be of interest.

Perhaps you will cover some of the other more recent cart releases too; as they are relatively expensive purchases it would be good to have them reviewed.

:)

• Like 1

Just listened to the first episode, nice work guys :thumbsup:

Glad you are going to discuss the differences / tweaks made for the re-released games, this will be of interest.

Perhaps you will cover some of the other more recent cart releases too; as they are relatively expensive purchases it would be good to have them reviewed.

:)

We would love to review any cart based Atari homebrews that will run on XEGS (or 8bit computer). There are really some amazing games that homebrewers have done that are a step above a lot of what was produced back in the day. Of course, that is a lot of the time what happens when you don't have deadlines and budgets to hit. We'll try to be as fair and balanced as we can. Hopefully those who make homebrews will see that and want to put their cart under some pubic scrutiny. We're just finalizing just how we're going to break down the reviews but think you can expect use to cover all aspects of a game and not just boil it down to a number. I'm a big fan of the component of what makes something good or bad. Nothing is ever completely bad. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. We're listening!

Michael

• Like 1

Hey all,

Due to the holidays, we're all pretty swamped right now so we probably won't be recording Episode 1 until the beginning of January.

For the two games we’ll be reviewing, David will be setting his sights on Atari’s exclusive light gun shooter, "Bug Hunt" and I will choose a side in, "Archon: The Light and the Dark". Bill deserves the month off since he was the one behind all of the XEGS background content in Episode 0.

User feedback email and audio submissions are always appreciated and we’ll try to make a point of including what has been submitted.

Thanks,
Michael

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey all! Episode 1 is out! http://xegs8bit.com/episodes.htm

In it, we talked about Archon: The Light and the Dark, and one of the XEGS pack-ins, the light-gun game Bug Hunt.

In our next episode, we'll be reviewing Mario Bros. and Blue Max, and also talking a little about Joust and Zaxxon, for (hopefully) obvious reasons. ;) Feel free to send us your thoughts on these four games!

• Like 1

The protos from Best are highly suspect... I doubt its a real proto... likely its just something they hacked up and burn themselves.

Might be true. My Bruce Lee XE / XEGS cart was made by Nir Dary. Maybe I should buy the proto from Best and compare it with my Nir Dary cart... ?!? Afaik, Nir also made some carts for Video61...

http://xegs8bit.com/rss/feedrss.rss

I must say that I really enjoyed it.

I thought at first that I might not as it may concentrate too much on the XEGS (which I am not an owner of), but really that's not the case as all the games on that machine also work on the other Atari's.

I love what you do, I love what Antic do also and think that you're a good complement for each other.

• Like 1

I thought at first that I might not as it may concentrate too much on the XEGS (which I am not an owner of), but really that's not the case as all the games on that machine also work on the other Atari's.

I love what you do, I love what Antic do also and think that you're a good complement for each other.

If you subscribe to us on iTunes please feel free to give us a review on iTunes so that we can get the podcast more exposure.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Yea, when it comes to our podcast, I see it as more about the carts than the xegs but since that system was a gaming system, it makes perfect sense to use it as the machine of choice.

Thx for the feedback,

If you subscribe to us on iTunes please feel free to give us a review on iTunes so that we can get the podcast more exposure.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Unfortunately I am a Linux and Android man for podcasting and so don't have iTunes.

I tried it on Windows a few years ago and it took over my PC.

In theory though, I would give you a review if I could. I like also that you have a UK flavour to the show, that mixes it up a little.

We're also on Stitcher but I'll need to check if it's picked up our latest update to the feed. I use the Android App, podcast Addicts, which works pretty well. I haven't had a chance to find as many ways as there is to get our podcast available to all...but you can be sure I'll be looking into it.

Unfortunately I am a Linux and Android man for podcasting and so don't have iTunes.

I tried it on Windows a few years ago and it took over my PC.

In theory though, I would give you a review if I could. I like also that you have a UK flavour to the show, that mixes it up a little.

No problem and thank you, I am happy that Kieran is a part of the show and just like you I enjoy learning about the UK perspective. I guess our little podcast is the only international XEGS podcast.

Ouch! You guys were big downers on Archon, one of the best games there is - and it's too easy once you've played it to death! You gave the impression it's a strategy game when it's really an all out arcade game and is immediately absorbing; plus it's superb for 2 players - even to watch others playing, you didn't mention you can also win by wiping out the opponent completely which is more fun! And don't get me started on Bug Hunt, this is one of the better light gun games. Nice clear graphics, fun to play and most importantly skilful. To do the XEGS games justice you (all) really need real hardware and actual light guns, especially as there are several light gun carts, what is the point of playing the game with a mouse :twisted: I find on a 14" CRT you can play without issues from a few feet away. I liked the budget game segment ;)

I'm surprised to hear that you thought we were all big downers on Archon. Here is my score.
Score:

• Graphics: 7/10
    Sound Effects: 7/10
    Music: 8/10
    Gameplay / Playability: 8/10
    Controls: 8/10
    Replayability: 8/10
    Average: 8/10
Averages from the other guys was Bill: 7 and David:8. We also had lots of positive things to say and my only negative points were...
  • Health (Heal, See on board. See in game)
  • More difficulty Options
  • Different board layouts & different game types
If I'm going to heal a character and I only get one spell to do it with, I'd really like to know what that character's health is. Additionally, if I have a character with damage, it would be nice to know how damaged they are before I have them go up against another character. Now, you could argue that knowing the character's health would give the other human player an advantage as well but that wouldn't be the case when you're going up against the computer so why not just add that option.
A difficulty option would not only be easy to code but would allow one with little skill to quickly adapt to the game. As they get better they could up the difficulty to make the game more of a challenge again.
Different board layouts would have been a nice to have but as I mentioned in the podcast, I generally wouldn't expect this from the first version of the game and especially one that came on cartridge due to limited space.
I love Archon. Always have. That's why I wanted this as my first review but I have to put that love aside for the most part and look at it with an objective eye.

As far as Bug Hut, it's probably one of the better light gun games for the XEGS but I've played a few light gun games in my day and to me that one just wasn't that enjoyable. It had some good looking characters but it was just Whack a Mole with shooting. I would have rather played something like Alien Brigade(AKA: Operation Wolf).

Yes, I would love to have the real hardware and if I can get my hands on a light gun and a CRT and that will happen in the future but for now the emulator will have to do. Besides, the emulator is an option for people to play the game and we can't expect everyone to have the hardware to play these games so we call out what we are playing on so people can understand our review on those "systems". For example, David did play with the game on the hardware. I, of course, went the emulator route, and Bill watched someone play the game on YouTube. All ways to experience the game. ;)
Not everyone will have the same opinion of a game but I hope we break the game down to their essential parts and give rational and objective reasons of what we like, or dislike, about a game.

Yes, Kieren's episode was good and it was really nice to get the UK perspective but don't forget Shinto. In fact, I had planned to add his Jaguar Podcast on my list but after hearing his segment, I've put those on the top (Well, next to Antic. So...many...interviews. They...just...keep...coming. Can't...keep...up!! ;) )

• Like 1

Best sells other known prototype cartridge repros. So I have no particular reason to doubt them. I said "claims" because I didn't remember seeing any particular information on the supposed Bruce Lee cart elsewhere. But having just done a quick search on Atarimania, I found this: Bruce Lee Prototype. In my eyes, that gives it a little more validity, being that Atarimania are normally a very accurate source of information -- even if they do only cite Best to back it up here.

My guess is that the code on the cartridge itself has been examined by someone at Atarimania, and deemed to be more than just some simple hack. In a manner of speaking, you could call a lot of the XE games that were released "hacks", as existing disk games were reworked to run from high capacity XE cartridge ROM's. That's not to say it's an easy task to get something like that working though, and being that Atari did plenty of these for the XE series cartridges, it's hardly far-fetched that one might have ended up lying around unreleased, and picked up later by Best as some of their other protos were.

Nope it's a copy of Nir Dray's conversion AFAIK - nothing official about it...

sTeVE