IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2015 Championship

DZ-Jay

Is it just an illusion, or does Carol slow down a little bit after each set? It seemed to me that whenever I get back to Haunted Hollow, I feel sloooooooower.

It's part illusion, part real fact. When the game starts again from Haunted Hollow, the difficulty is adjusted by 12.5% upwards. While making the game, I thought it would be appropriate to make the enemies faster and carol slower, which would make the game more challenging. In retrospect it is just a bit weird.

The illusion part is that, throughout the eight stages, all parameters are slightly increased on every level, making Carol go faster as well as her enemies, by different amounts. By the time you reach Twisted Toyland, the speed is much higher than the first level. So, by the time you pass it and roll around back to Haunted Hollow, even with the 12.5% increase, it is still slower. Add to that a 6.25% speed penalty on Carol, and you can really tell the difference.

If I had to do it all over again, I'll probably increase Carol's speed by 6.25% instead of decreasing it on every rank. Oh well. Live and learn. :)

Just to give you an idea, Christmas Carol speed goes from 27 (~16 pps) on the first level, to 36 (~22 pps) on the last one.

Christmas Carol Fun Fact: The speed in Christmas Carol is measured as a percentage of maximum frame-rate. The frame rate of the game is 60 Hz, so the fastest any sprite could go would be 60 pixels per second (pps)*. This corresponds to a value of 100% in the Level Parameters Table. The parameters table includes the values to use for the speed of the sprites, the length of the Snowflake effects and how many times to flash the Ghost while stunned, the number of tiles the Ghost runs through before stopping to "look around," the time delay before the Snowman's first and second attack, and the number of presents that triggers the Snowman attack. It defines individual values for each of the 16 levels.

For example, here's the table for the first level:

;                   SPEED                                     SNOWMAN ATTACK                         OTHER
        ;         +--------------+-------+                +------------------+------------------+ +---------------+--------+
        ;         |      Elf     | Ghost |                |     Attack #1    |     Attack #2    | |   Stun Time   | V-Tile |
        ;         +-------+------+-------+ +-------+------+---------+--------|---------+--------+ +-------+-------+--------+
        ;         |  Nrm  | Stun |  Nrm  | | Gifts | Warn | Timeout | Speed  | Timeout | Speed  | |  Qsec | Flash | Tiles  |
        ;         +-------+------+-------+ +-------+------+---------+--------+---------+--------+ +-------+-------+--------+
@@1:    LVL_DATA_REC  27,    30,     42,       4,      3,      10,       27,       8,       33,       8,      3,      24    ; Level: # 1

For the first level, notice that Carol starts with a "normal" speed of 27% (about 16 pps), which gets bumped temporarily to 30% (18 pps) when she eats a Snowflake (stun). The Ghost normal speed is 42% (25 pps).

The Snowman attack will be triggered after 4 presents are picked up, and his howl will serve as warning for 3 seconds before he enters. There is also an idle timeout which will trigger the Snowman if Carol doesn't do anything for 10 seconds. The Snowman himself will run at 27% speed (16 pps).

A second timer of 8 seconds starts when the Snowman comes out to trigger the "cruising elroy" or Snowman's angrier second attack. At that point, he will run at 33% (20 pps) speed.

When Carol eats a Snowflake, along with going a bit faster temporarily, it will stun her enemies for 8 quarter-seconds (2 seconds), of which the Ghost will flash three times, for three-quarters of a second.

And finally, the Ghost will count 24 virtual board tiles before stopping to look around. This counter gets reset every time Carol picks up a present and the Ghost runs towards it. This means that if he is far enough, he has a chance to stop and "forget" about the present before he reaches it. On higher levels, this gets increased significantly, making the Ghost more menacing.

On each difficulty rank, the parameters above are scaled like this:

• Elf Normal Speed: -6.25%
  • Elf Stunned Speed: -6.25%
  • Ghost/Bad Toy Speed: +12.5%
  • Attack Trigger Present Counter: -12.5%
  • Early Attack Warning Timer: -12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #1 Timeout: -12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #1 Speed: +12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #2 Timeout: -12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #2 Speed: +12.5%
  • Stunned Mode Duration: -12.5%
  • Stunned Ghost Flash Counter: -12.5%
  • Ghost Virtual Tile Counter: +12.5%

And there you have it. That's the Christmas Carol Level Parameters Table. :)

I hope this illustrates to you that the difficulty and level parameters are actually quite nuanced in the game, and that difficulty is increased by scaling all values by appropriate factors rather than a blanket doubling of speed. This, to me, gives the game more depth and re-play value.

-dZ.

* This is not strictly true. The fastest a sprite can go is actually 120 pps. Although speeds are measured in fractions of the frame-rate, there is a special allowance for enemies to move two pixels on a single frame if they go faster than 100% speed (60 pps). This allows the Snowman, for example, to go at 45 pps speed (75%) on Twisted Toyland on the first rank, and at about 113 pps (+12.5% x 4 = 50% increase in speed) on the Master Rank!

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 4

It's part illusion, part real fact. When the game starts again from Haunted Hollow, the difficulty is adjusted by 12.5% upwards. While making the game, I thought it would be appropriate to make the enemies faster and carol slower, which would make the game more challenging. In retrospect it is just a bit weird.

The illusion part is that, throughout the eight stages, all parameters are slightly increased on every level, making Carol go faster as well as her enemies, by different amounts. By the time you reach Twisted Toyland, the speed is much higher than the first level. So, by the time you pass it and roll around back to Haunted Hollow, even with the 12.5% increase, it is still slower. Add to that a 6.25% speed penalty on Carol, and you can really tell the difference.

If I had to do it all over again, I'll probably increase Carol's speed by 6.25% instead of decreasing it on every rank. Oh well. Live and learn. :)

Just to give you an idea, Christmas Carol speed goes from 27 (~16 pps) on the first level, to 36 (~22 pps) on the last one.

Christmas Carol Fun Fact: The speed in Christmas Carol is measured as a percentage of maximum frame-rate. The frame rate of the game is 60 Hz, so the fastest any sprite could go would be 60 pixels per second (pps)*. This corresponds to a value of 100% in the Level Parameters Table. The parameters table includes the values to use for the speed of the sprites, the length of the Snowflake effects and how many times to flash the Ghost while stunned, the number of tiles the Ghost runs through before stopping to "look around," the time delay before the Snowman's first and second attack, and the number of presents that triggers the Snowman attack. It defines individual values for each of the 16 levels.

For example, here's the table for the first level:

;                   SPEED                                     SNOWMAN ATTACK                         OTHER
        ;         +--------------+-------+                +------------------+------------------+ +---------------+--------+
        ;         |      Elf     | Ghost |                |     Attack #1    |     Attack #2    | |   Stun Time   | V-Tile |
        ;         +-------+------+-------+ +-------+------+---------+--------|---------+--------+ +-------+-------+--------+
        ;         |  Nrm  | Stun |  Nrm  | | Gifts | Warn | Timeout | Speed  | Timeout | Speed  | |  Qsec | Flash | Tiles  |
        ;         +-------+------+-------+ +-------+------+---------+--------+---------+--------+ +-------+-------+--------+
@@1:    LVL_DATA_REC  27,    30,     42,       4,      3,      10,       27,       8,       33,       8,      3,      24    ; Level: # 1

For the first level, notice that Carol starts with a "normal" speed of 27% (about 16 pps), which gets bumped temporarily to 30% (18 pps) when she eats a Snowflake (stun). The Ghost normal speed is 42% (25 pps).

The Snowman attack will be triggered after 4 presents are picked up, and his howl will serve as warning for 3 seconds before he enters. There is also an idle timeout which will trigger the Snowman if Carol doesn't do anything for 10 seconds. The Snowman himself will run at 27% speed (16 pps).

A second timer of 8 seconds starts when the Snowman comes out to trigger the "cruising elroy" or Snowman's angrier second attack. At that point, he will run at 33% (20 pps) speed.

When Carol eats a Snowflake, along with going a bit faster temporarily, it will stun her enemies for 8 quarter-seconds (2 seconds), of which the Ghost will flash three times, for three-quarters of a second.

And finally, the Ghost will count 24 virtual board tiles before stopping to look around. This counter gets reset every time Carol picks up a present and the Ghost runs towards it. This means that if he is far enough, he has a chance to stop and "forget" about the present before he reaches it. On higher levels, this gets increased significantly, making the Ghost more menacing.

On each difficulty rank, the parameters above are scaled like this:

• Elf Normal Speed: -6.25%
  • Elf Stunned Speed: -6.25%
  • Ghost/Bad Toy Speed: +12.5%
  • Attack Trigger Present Counter: -12.5%
  • Early Attack Warning Timer: -12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #1 Timeout: -12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #1 Speed: +12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #2 Timeout: -12.5%
  • Snowman Attack #2 Speed: +12.5%
  • Stunned Mode Duration: -12.5%
  • Stunned Ghost Flash Counter: -12.5%
  • Ghost Virtual Tile Counter: +12.5%

And there you have it. That's the Christmas Carol Level Parameters Table. :)

I hope this illustrates to you that the difficulty and level parameters are actually quite nuanced in the game, and that difficulty is increased by scaling all values by appropriate factors rather than a blanket doubling of speed. This, to me, gives the game more depth and re-play value.

-dZ.

* This is not strictly true. The fastest a sprite can go is actually 120 pps. Although speeds are measured in fractions of the frame-rate, there is a special allowance for enemies to move two pixels on a single frame if they go faster than 100% speed (60 pps). This allows the Snowman, for example, to go at 45 pps speed (75%) on Twisted Toyland on the first rank, and at about 113 pps (+12.5% x 4 = 50% increase in speed) on the Master Rank!

That is fascinating, man! So cool to read this and have that kind of first hand info from the programmer. :) We are very often forced to sort of 'reverse engineer' the game mechanics of games we love to determine the hows and whys.

Thanks for this info. :)

• Like 2

Be sure to post your play times for this past week to the tracker thread by midnight tonight! Carol is already showing strong, but it would be awesome to see another landslide week... Especially on the week of Santa's legendary flight. :)

i went looking for the thread so i can actually post this time and i cant find where it is. Again...

New score from my nephew and I! We played a round on Christmas Eve and had a lot of fun.

Name: Dante Is Awesome

Score: 447

Date: 12/24/2015

post-27318-0-55945500-1451250125_thumb.jpg

post-27318-0-48198100-1451250142_thumb.jpg

Name: DZ-Jay

Score: 1,100

Date: 12/24/2015

post-27318-0-17540900-1451250267_thumb.jpg

And here are a few more scores from me. Unfortunately, he had to leave right after I finished my round, so he didn't get to play another. I got the Twelve Scores Of Christmas, Five Golden Rings... Of Life, and a few perfects. I got perfect on the first round of Snowflake Garden, but I missed the photo.

Name: DZ-Jay

Score: 1,258

Date: 12/27/2015

post-27318-0-84294800-1451250406_thumb.jpg <- Perfect!
post-27318-0-54517400-1451250418_thumb.jpg <- Perfect!
post-27318-0-87118600-1451250428_thumb.jpg <- Perfect!
post-27318-0-28181600-1451250439_thumb.jpg <- Perfect!
post-27318-0-05082000-1451250447_thumb.jpg <- No Perfect!
post-27318-0-17977100-1451250456_thumb.jpg <- No Perfect!
post-27318-0-12006200-1451250465_thumb.jpg <- Perfect!
post-27318-0-80364800-1451250472_thumb.jpg <- Perfect!
post-27318-0-49655400-1451250484_thumb.jpg <- Perfect!
post-27318-0-65118000-1451250492_thumb.jpg <- Nope...
post-27318-0-32264300-1451250501_thumb.jpg <- Died ridiculously trying to get a perfect...
post-27318-0-29785200-1451250511_thumb.jpg <- Same here...
post-27318-0-05957100-1451250519_thumb.jpg
post-27318-0-36112900-1451250531_thumb.jpg

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

tell me about it. In krystal keep if i have to lose my last snowflake to save my life instead of getting the center present its hard to outrun the snowman to the center

As you know it takes about 3 hours per 10K score, so when I trying to top my best score and fail it uses much of the day. I might try one more time, but I think that is all I can do.

• Like 1

Wow! It took me half the day, but I finally managed to catch up with all the activity during the past couple of days. I let it accumulate and then it just piles up on me. :o

Nevertheless, I'll reply to some of the salient posts below.

A baker's dozen. Perfect christmas number thirteen. Game went to crap.
attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Wow, pimp! You are on a roll! You always say that the game went to crap, but still Perfect Christmases are not easy to do! :clap:

first pass = no errors
second pass = two errors, the ghost hit me on Candy Cove so I had to re-pickup presents dying in the process. I chickened out on Krystal Keep with two candies left.

LOL! Krystal Keep is a bit hard especially on the second pass. But for "Perfect Level," nothing is as scary as Candy Cove!!! :o

My 15th and 16th perfect christmas'. It never fails that i cant get through a second perfect christmas cause i somehow always die in icicle lane the second easiest level. :mad:

Oh dear! I can't really believe that you get Perfect on Candy Cove and die on Icicle Lane. That's just wrong.

2 new achievements!!!

This here "Elf On Duty" just got a new high score and earned the "5 Golden Rings of Life" achievement. :)

It is a beautiful Christmas, guys. I may get a few more games in the next few days, but even if I don't break the 2,000 mark (which is my biggest goal for this year) it has been a BLAST playing with all of you. :)

Thanks again, DZ Jay. This game is now one of my all time favorites on any system of any era.

55555_zps20ittx1x.png

xmas_zpsca5nv3e2.png

1677_zpszvpggay2.png

Great job, Opry99er! I'm glad you had fun on Christmas Day. I also had a great day. :)

Merry christmas! Hey dz, what is the garble on the bottom of this kill screen? It isnt there in the pic i took seconds before that as you can see. Oh and i looked at grips' kill screen and he has the green block in the corner as well.
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Merry Christmas, pimp! I really do not know what that garbage is. Is it like "animating," cycling through different cards? It could be a bug... God knows there are plenty of those! :ponder:

Hey Guys! Merry Christmas! :)

I have only had time to play a few more games...have not broke 2000 again yet :(

My son canonitis saved Christmas with 6 lives and then his game froze...so he is a bit ticked off :(

Think he has a score around 1200 I need to post...he has had bad luck with missed screen shots and crashed games this year!

Hopefully we both get some more time to play in the next week! :D love this game!

Merry Christmas and thanks for joining us for a round or two. Make sure to post your scores, whatever they are.

Ho ho ho n stuff .. 2,277 :)
attachicon.gif20151221_011801.jpg

Ugh, I don't know why my pic went sideways but you get the idea.. :)

Great job!

12 scores and saved Christmas :)

Noted.

1678 Saved Christmas and posted the Twelve scores of christmas under the challenge post.

Noted, both of them.

Noted.

(To be continued...)

Continuing...

Prefect Christmas
Good old level 10 :)

Wow, nice! And on Christmas Day! Santa should be proud. :)

OK, I was finally able to sit down and play! Not my best score but at least it is a start. Here are some pictures with some of my perfects, 5 lives and the high score I got on the first try. More to come...

Great, TrekMD! Thanks for joining us again. I've noted your scores and achievements.

Welp... here's my 12 scores of Christmas (and a whole lot more) ;)

Noted.

Here are some more great strides on this epic Christmas day game!!!

I am now "Santa's Elite Elf" AND a Ranger Elf!!!!!

save2_zps8235xgjs.png

savedagain_zpsnmgvwwwl.png

ranger1_zpsxb4jx1vf.png

3828_zpsdlo99zgh.png

More than DOUBLED my old score!!! Achieved a new rank and ALMOST saved Christmas for a Third time!!!! Santa was helping me on this one, I think. ;)

Wow! Fantastic improvement! Santa is very proud and Carol is impressed with your progress. You are now officially a Ranger Elf in Santa's Elite Elf Squad! Will you go for Master?

OMG!!! That's an impressive cross-over of achievements! Should we call it The Twelve Scores Of A Perfect Christmas Supreme? :lol:

If I'm reading the achievements properly, I added 4(?) achievements to my resume?

DZ, let me know if I am reading these wrong. :) Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you... Spreader of Christmas cheer.

*I, Ranger Elf
*Santa's Elite Elf
*Icy Flower Power
*Humble Pie

Also, I wasn't sure about "Ghost of Birthday Presents" because I did not achieve this particular score ON your birthday. :) If that doesn't matter, then it may/may not be 5 total achievements today. :)

You got all of them, and then some! :clap:

You also got the Ghost Of Birthday Presents, because Bake A Humble Pie does not require you to win the Challenge on my Birthday; you just needed to beat the score I set when I played on my Birthday. :)

Congratulations!

18th perfect christmas. Game went downhill from there.

Wow! 18th? That's insane! :o

Better late, and rusty, than never......because it wouldn't seem like Christmas without it. Thanks DZ!

It's nice of you to join us, Gorfy. It's never too late -- well, except after December 31st. :lol:

Just keep practicing and you'll catch up to your old score. :thumbsup:

I WILL TAKE A HALF ORDER OF CHRISTMAS SUPREME WITH SOUR CREAM!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
My 19th and 20th perfect christmas'

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congratulations pimpmaul69! Now, if you could actually get the full serving of sour-cream... :)

Dang it!! So close to 10,000
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Almost there... almost there... (stay on target!) :lol: A little Star Wars humour there... :lol:

C'mon! I want to see some Yellow scores from you!

first pass = perfect
second pass = single error / death on Candy Cove (level 22), hence score of 3576 after 32 levels

The half supreme is so hard to do. If Candy Cove gave a little bit more room for the ghost to not bump Carol it would be so much easier.

Yes, even the half-supreme is very hard. Well, to us mere mortals, a regular Perfect Christmas is almost impossible even without the sour-cream to slow you down. :lol:

Candy Cove is hard. Very hard.

It's my birthday and I'll play if I want to.. Too! :)
attachicon.gif20151227_021143-1.jpg

Is it really your birthday today??? HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SiLic0ne t0aD85!!!

I think it's very cool that you decided to play my game on your birthday. I hope you enjoy it and that you have a wonderful day. :)

slight improvement...832

:cool:

The worst score ever! by a Veteran - 0 :-D :-D :-D

WTF? What the heck is that??? Did you let your cat play again? :lol:

I have quite a few games like this one.

13K points is not too shabby! :o:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OK. Phew! That's all of it. I've updated the leaderboard and the stats and rankings on the first post.

I will play a bit later today and post another score. With 5 days to go, the competition is tightening up so it's time to hit the Practice Mode and beat that Snowman! :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Continuing...

Wow, nice! And on Christmas Day! Santa should be proud. :)

Great, TrekMD! Thanks for joining us again. I've noted your scores and achievements.

Noted.

Wow! Fantastic improvement! Santa is very proud and Carol is impressed with your progress. You are now officially a Ranger Elf in Santa's Elite Elf Squad! Will you go for Master?

OMG!!! That's an impressive cross-over of achievements! Should we call it The Twelve Scores Of A Perfect Christmas Supreme? :lol:

You got all of them, and then some! :clap:

You also got the Ghost Of Birthday Presents, because Bake A Humble Pie does not require you to win the Challenge on my Birthday; you just needed to beat the score I set when I played on my Birthday. :)

Congratulations!

Wow! 18th? That's insane! :o

It's nice of you to join us, Gorfy. It's never too late -- well, except after December 31st. :lol:

Just keep practicing and you'll catch up to your old score. :thumbsup:

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congratulations pimpmaul69! Now, if you could actually get the full serving of sour-cream... :)

Almost there... almost there... (stay on target!) :lol: A little Star Wars humour there... :lol:

C'mon! I want to see some Yellow scores from you!

Yes, even the half-supreme is very hard. Well, to us mere mortals, a regular Perfect Christmas is almost impossible even without the sour-cream to slow you down. :lol:

Candy Cove is hard. Very hard.

Is it really your birthday today??? HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SiLic0ne t0aD85!!!

I think it's very cool that you decided to play my game on your birthday. I hope you enjoy it and that you have a wonderful day. :)

:cool:

WTF? What the heck is that??? Did you let your cat play again? :lol:

13K points is not too shabby! :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OK. Phew! That's all of it. I've updated the leaderboard and the stats and rankings on the first post.

I will play a bit later today and post another score. With 5 days to go, the competition is tightening up so it's time to hit the Practice Mode and beat that Snowman! :)

-dZ.

hey dz, what did i do wrong for the 12 scores of christmas and christmas supreme? Is it only for the first three people? Edited by pimpmaul69

hey dz, what did i do wrong for the 12 scores of christmas and christmas supreme? Is it only for the first three people?

You didn't do anything wrong, I just missed marking it in the database. Sorry about that. Operator error. :dunce:

Check again.

You didnt count my score of 0 for my 27th day! It`s a very low score, but it is still a score. :-D :-D

I`ll see If I can improve on it tomorrow!

A score of zero is not counted by the leaderboard program, since it is not valid. I'm changing it to "1" to make it count, but next time try not to be too clever. :P

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Ok here ya go - 1 :-D :-D

You know, the spirit of the multi-day play achievements is to have participants actually play the game for consecutive days. If don't wish to play, or you are unable, then I'll understand; but just taking a screenshot of an empty score is not really in the tone or spirit of the game.

Santa Claus would rather have you spend time with your family and enjoying the holidays rather than forcing yourself to take a photo of your screen when you can't play. ;)

That said, I'll accept this one for today.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

The tracker thread is a pinned thread in the Classic Gaming General forum... For those looking for it. :)

i went looking for the thread so i can actually post this time and i cant find where it is. Again...

It's this one:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233350-what-have-you-actually-played-tracker-for-2015-season-8/

Hey DZ-Jay...

I was wondering if perhaps Santa may have missed my Sweet Tooth achievement. :) It was really tough to get, but I know things have been super busy lately. :D

Hi, Opry99er,

I went back and check and found your entry on 12/21/2015. I noticed that the achievement was recorded in the database, but inadvertently marked as "Practice Mode." That was a carry over from the previous record, and it was a mistake.

I've just corrected it, so you are properly credited for a total of 24 achievements now. I know how hard it is to beat Candy Cove -- I myself have only done it a few times, so acknowledging your feat is very important to me too. :)

Please let me know if you find any other errors.

(Also, please don't tell Santa! with so many mistakes lately, he'll probably fire me! :o)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Hi, Opry99er,

I went back and check and found your entry on 12/21/2015. I noticed that the achievement was recorded in the database, but inadvertently marked as "Practice Mode." That was a carry over from the previous record, and it was a mistake.

I've just corrected it, so you are properly credited for a total of 24 achievements now. I know how hard it is to beat Candy Cove -- I myself have only done it a few times, so acknowledging your feat is very important to me too. :)

Please let me know if you find any other errors.

(Also, please don't tell Santa! with so many mistakes lately, he'll probably fire me! :o)

-dZ.

Hey thanks! And I wouldn't worry too much... I'd say the way this competition is ran qualifies the moderator for decades of joy-filled stockings.

Going to try for a perfect Christmas tomorrow... I have hit perfect on all the levels before, just not in succession. :D