IGNORED

New Update on Missing in Action

sn8k

Yes, though you will likely need an older Windows OS and a PC that still has a floppy drive.

Mitch

I had an install of Vista 64 at one point. The Biostar motherboard had a floppy header and Windows recognised it and assigned the A drive. Sadly when I upgraded my PC, I got a Gigabyte moboard that lacked a floppy connector so I had to retire the drive. Good thing was I replaced it with a much more practical USB3 multicard reader. But I'm sure even Windows 10 could read floppies if the motherboard supported it. And lets not forget USB floppy drives exist, although I seriously dubt in the 5.25" variety.

Well it appears floppies are canned in Windows 10. :P

Shouldn't an ST disk read fine on a PC? It's even FAT12.

Yes, though you will likely need an older Windows OS and a PC that still has a floppy drive.

It depends. Older TOS versions formatted the disk with a boot sector that was slightly different from what MS-DOS/Windows expects and do not read those disks. But later TOS versions and many third-party disk formatters/copiers created a boot sector that is MS-DOS compatible. That is only if it is a standard 9 sectors / 80 track disk. Disks with different layout (e.g. 10 sectors / 82 tracks which was done often) cannot be read by PCs without special software.

Robert