IGNORED

Rambo 256k installation question

bugbiter

Hi all,

Ive purchased a "reimagined rambo256k board" by lenore underwood which I want to install into one of my beloved 800 xls.

That product refers to the original rambo installation manual. The original had the ribbon cable already connected to the board and the manual only says to connect the ribbon cable end to those five pins of the PIA chip with the black line to the right one, like.

However, my board didnt come with the ribbon cable attached. I have to do it myself and I dont know which of the five board pads goes to which of the five PIA pins.

I havent got an answer from lenore yet, maybe you guys can help me faster?

here's mine:

there's two different jobs here - the first was how mine was initially done - but ribbon cable wasn't ideal.

the second is the fix that Jon [flashjazzcat] did for me - much improved

hope these helps

post-39567-0-09434100-1449157893_thumb.jpgpost-39567-0-59006400-1449157900_thumb.jpgpost-39567-0-19707700-1449157904_thumb.jpgpost-39567-0-82143600-1449157907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Meh!

I've soldered the 5 connections between rambo and PIA; the line from pad D for the moment I just tucked around the right end of R32..

and - it doesn't work :-(

I then checked the position of the jumpers on the board - they were all in the position as marked on the board. The Rambo guide says to put them into position "0" which means NOT like the marking. After changing them It still doesn't work.

Then I noticed in your pictures that IC1 socket is not empty like mine but you placed that little IC U27 in it that gets replaced with rambo board..

Putting that IC there also didn't do the trick... What about it? neither Lenore nor the original manual says what to do with that chip that was in U27...

At the moment I'm clueless what to do.. After switching on, the Atari first shows that random brown or yellow screen, then it goes black and you hear that familiar pop, but it stays black and no blue GR0 screen comes up..

The machine itself is good - removing rambo, putting U27 back in and another PIA with all the pins (leaving the new 256bit RAMs in) it works perfect.

Help!

Dammit! Found it! I took the wrong PIA 5 pins! I have to desolder and shift all the lines 1 pin to the left :-) Silly me!

I keep you posted..

post-33401-0-62999100-1449437499_thumb.jpg

Edited by bugbiter

well, I resoldered the wires to the pins,

the machine boots up and goes directly into the Memory test.

The first 16 dots come out green, then the display turns blank and the dark green background turns brown.

I assume this means accessing memory above $4000 has some unwanted effects...

Can anyone give me a clue?

Yes, you must put the 74LS158 chip from U27 into the IC1 socket. There should be no empty socket on the RAMbo board.

It seems you have a PAL ANTIC. I don't know whether it has 7 or 8 refresh bits. To be safe, assume 7 and follow the instructions for the old ANTIC. So you must wire jumper C.

@brenski-

32-in-1 OS with the Rambo makes a very nice machine, doesn't it. Do you use a PBI hard drive and if so does it have any stability problems (from the 32-in-1 and/or Rambo)?

I've got a couple similar setup XL's, and on at least one I had to do the Bob Puff "Stable XL" fixes.

-Larry

I already fiddled around with the jumpers. Strange that the good setting is NOT as marked on the board.

I will try the C cable when I get home, maybe that helps...

Not the C cable, but the actual jumper pins along the left side. I believe you need to move the jumper from the last two pins to the first two pins. That is the difference between your pic and his first pic on the board. ;-)

There is no 'good setting' for this board. It was meant to be as changeable as possible to accomodate the various versions of Atari computers. Sometimes combinations came out after it was original produced that created problems with it working. I don't think your machine is the problem. I just think that sometimes we need to experiment to find the 'right' setting for your machine. Understand that if you add other mods to the machine there is a chance you may have to experiment again. :(

Edited by Dropcheck

I have already changed the left jumper after I read in the manual it should be set to "0" meaning not as marked on the board. It came preassembled in "-" position though.

Yes, because the '-' position is the default on my original board. So right now the jumper is closing the top and middle pins? Not the bottom and middle pins.

@brenski-

32-in-1 OS with the Rambo makes a very nice machine, doesn't it. Do you use a PBI hard drive and if so does it have any stability problems (from the 32-in-1 and/or Rambo)?

I've got a couple similar setup XL's, and on at least one I had to do the Bob Puff "Stable XL" fixes.

-Larry

Larry,

actually, err, no it doesn't.

it's a shame - but it just didn't work.

to put it correctly - it worked for ONE HOUR and occupied far too much of FJC's time trying to fix it for me. in the end i've given up leaving the rambo in place and the wiring for the 32-in-1 but the 32-in-1 removed. shame i know, but there it is

Hi Guys!

I got it! I now put all jumper bits into the "0" position. (I still had the left one on "-")

Now it's up and running, even without the C cable attached.

post-33401-0-73727200-1449514563_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your great helpfulness! sorry if I got you confused with my erratic trying around and posting old pictures :-)

My 128K APAC animation is playing fine on the 800XL!

post-33401-0-21758200-1449515287_thumb.jpg

Edited by bugbiter
  • Like 2

My question should not be ignored. The answer determines how reliable the upgrade will be. If the PAL ANTIC has only a 7 bit refresh address, and you don't wire jumper C, then the RAM will not get refreshed properly. Even worse, it can fool you, because some graphics modes will cover all the refresh addresses, so it all seems to work until you run certain programs with custom displays and then it crashes.

So, please, those of you with 256K upgrades in PAL land, please reply with your experience.

• Like 3

Hi ClausB,

Found this. I believe this will answer your question. http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/105124-chip-differences/

;-)

Also found this in a Nir Dary PAL/NTSC upgrade text at http://www.myatari.com/nirdary.html

>>Special Note For Users With RAM Upgrades: if you have a RAM upgrade with wires attached to the ANTIC chip, carefully desolder those wires when you remove the old ANTIC. The new PAL ANTIC CO21698 is functionally equivalent to the newer NTSC ANTIC, CO21697. If your old ANTIC was CO12296, consult the documentation for your memory upgrade for the correct re-wiring. In general, the wiring is simpler for the newer ANTIC chips CO21697 or CO21698.

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 1