IGNORED

Atari Videoplexer in System Changer.

BBWW

I don't see why it wouldn't... it's not an emulator, it's an actual VCS in there. Mattel "cheated" by building a VCS out of off-the-shelf components, and just passing the signal from the System Changer through to the TV without touching the Master Component hardware.

This is why the Master Component I needs a modification to support the System Changer, since it did not have that pass-through feature.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I don't see why it wouldn't... it's not an emulator, it's an actual VCS in there. Mattel "cheated" by building a VCS out of off-the-shelf components, and just passing the signal from the System Changer through to the TV without touching the Master Component hardware.

This is why the Master Component I needs a modification to support the System Changer, since it did not have that pass-through feature.

-dZ.

They sure did.. Smart buggers weren't they... I remember the fist time I seen a system changer commercial on TV-I could not stop bugging my Dad to get me one... Oh those memories :)

-dZ.

They sure did.. Smart buggers weren't they... I remember the fist time I seen a system changer commercial on TV-I could not stop bugging my Dad to get me one... Oh those memories :)

I ain't no smart guy on how these things work, but they must have done a bit more than passing the video through the INTV unit because if I recall you can play Atari games using the Inty controllers.

Or is that just how things work?

Good point.

I don't know if the Intellivision controllers work from the Master Component, or by connecting them to the System Changer. I thought it was the latter.

UPDATE:

OK here is some information:

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/changer_tech.html

"The System Changer only uses the Intellivision for the power supply and RF modulator."

So, there you have it.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Good point.

I don't know if the Intellivision controllers work from the Master Component, or by connecting them to the System Changer. I thought it was the latter.

UPDATE:

OK here is some information:

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/changer_tech.html

"The System Changer only uses the Intellivision for the power supply and RF modulator."

So, there you have it.

that is not correct. Im pretty sure you can use the intv controllers but only in the intv. You cannot use them in the system changer. I know that it does wonky stuff if you plug them into the system changer Edited by pimpmaul69

that is not correct. Im pretty sure you can use the intv controllers but only in the intv. You cannot use them in the system changer. I know that it does wonky stuff if you plug them into the system changer

Then, for it to work, the System Changer must have a bit of extra software to access to the PSG (the sound chip, where the I/O ports are), and decode the hand-controller signal and pass it to the I/O controller of the on-board VCS. After all, the System Changer works like any other plug-in cartridge.

However, if you use Atari controllers on the System Changer, only the VCS hardware is used. Still, it's a plain-old VCS in a big fancy Intellivision cartridge.

Here is some information on the hardware:

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Intellivision_System_Changer_Support_Modification

And it turns out we've been through this topic before:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/187964-intv-system-changer-mith-or-fact/

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

So it's pretty much like the ColecoVision Expansion Module #1, a.k.a. the Atari 2600 add-on, same deal.. console just acts as a pass-through, just power and RF output.

no. Intellivisiondude posted a video in that link which confirms you can use the intv controllers in the intv to play atari games

Interesting.. I hope to get one someday because I play Inty more then CV these days and I always use the EM#1 to play 2600.

I would just use Intv/system changer and Harmony.. and this would also give me the option to use my Super Video Arcade Controller or CV Arcade controller or Famicom pad. Win Win since Inty set up for 4 way and CV for 8 way. :grin:

no. Intellivisiondude posted a video in that link which confirms you can use the intv controllers in the intv to play atari games

It's still pass-through. It may have extra code to access the PSG, but then it passes the signal to the I/O port of the internal VCS circuitry. It's still a plain-vanilla VCS inside a fancy Intellivision cartridge that sends video signal through to the TV, bypassing the CPU, STIC, bus, memory, and the rest of the Intellivision (except when you use the Intellivision hand-controllers, which then reads the PSG).

The point is that it is not emulation like a lot of people think. No code game code is processed by the Master Component: it's a VCS-clone inside.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

It's still pass-through. It may have extra code to access the PSG, but then it passes the signal to the I/O port of the internal VCS circuitry. It's still a plain-vanilla VCS inside a fancy Intellivision cartridge that sends video signal through to the TV, bypassing the CPU, STIC, bus, memory, and the rest of the Intellivision (except when you use the Intellivision hand-controllers, which then reads the PSG).

The point is that it is not emulation like a lot of people think. No code game code is processed by the Master Component: it's a VCS-clone inside.

-dZ.

true but i took i as he was saying like the coleco you could only use the atari controllers. My bad.