IGNORED

Marble Madness 2: Marble Man

DarkSyne

Bouncer from Entertainment Sciences is a pretty sad example of what was probably a ground breaking game going extinct because of financial problems rather than issues with the game, it tested good wherever they showed it and I bet would have been a huge hit if it was released, it's just that because of the hardware needed each unit was going to cost in excess of $4,000 when most games were going for around $2,000. 

44 minutes ago, Tornadoboy said:

Bouncer from Entertainment Sciences is a pretty sad example of what was probably a ground breaking game going extinct because of financial problems rather than issues with the game, it tested good wherever they showed it and I bet would have been a huge hit if it was released, it's just that because of the hardware needed each unit was going to cost in excess of $4,000 when most games were going for around $2,000. 

Oh dang I did no know what ?

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

There aren't any full playthroughs.

The videos on youtube are these:

and this:

the mobile phone version had several exclusive levels that take elements of those,

and aren't that hard. but they are simplified:

later

Yeah I seen all those already. I was trying to say for shotgun to go back to Florida free play and record a full gameplay but I just realized he said the owner brings them every November sooooo yea we gonna have to wait next year on that as well. I mean but I hope the owner is dead honest about releasing the rom so we can play it or I’ll be big mad lmao 

10 hours ago, Tornadoboy said:

I remember seeing screenshots and a description in Video Games Player/Computer Games magazine.

Do bother enduring that movie, here's a promotional video:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I get the impression that game is gone for good :( , at least one guy has been doing pretty in depth research on it and has even spoken with former employees but still hasn't so much as found the ROMs, he has a webpage about it at www.turbosub.com 

Edited by Tornadoboy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tornadoboy said:

Do bother enduring that movie, here's a promotional video:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I get the impression that game is gone for good :( , at least one guy has been doing pretty in depth research on it and has even spoken with former employees but still hasn't so much as found the ROMs, he has a webpage about it at www.turbosub.com 

Oh I seen that before a few days ago

On 12/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, Jack the gamer 3 said:

Well just in case we get marble man or not Here are some other prototype games I know and I wish I could play. Accelerator, danger express, relief pitcher (ATARI SYSTEM 1 VERSION), gremlins, jammin, Missile Command 2, bounty hunter, and snoopy pong for some reason lol 

Snoopy Pong is just regular ol' pong in a Snoopy doghouse cabinet. The version sans Snoopy but kept the doghouse cab is Puppy Pong.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, Jack the gamer 3 said:

Well just in case we get marble man or not Here are some other prototype games I know and I wish I could play. Accelerator, danger express, relief pitcher (ATARI SYSTEM 1 VERSION), gremlins, jammin, Missile Command 2, bounty hunter, and snoopy pong for some reason lol 

I believe the source code for Gremlins exists in some form (at least some of it), but the prototype is long gone.

21 minutes ago, Dutchman2000 said:

Yes this is true, I have the data in my archive and it doesn't contain anything useful at all. 

So why was there only part of the data?  Was it just old data left on the disk or is it that the other disks that have the rest of the data are missing?  I'm curious how come there's only a little data.

3 hours ago, Supergun said:

Yes, he does indeed have several other Atari arcade protos in his personal collection. I never bothered asking which ones, but I can get more information about them.

Well when you visit him again could u remember asking him if he has an arcade machine called Accelerator? That’s one of the prototypes I want to play. Then we could possibly get two rare roms ?

16 hours ago, Tempest said:

So why was there only part of the data?  Was it just old data left on the disk or is it that the other disks that have the rest of the data are missing?  I'm curious how come there's only a little data.

To answer this question you have to look at Atari's policy regarding backups at that time.  They didn't back up everything as they do today.  Projects were only backed up to tape at the request of the Project Manager.  Looks like in this case the backup was done early on and never after that.  Everyone who has looked at the data (Including several members of the MAME team) has stated there is really nothing there to work with. 

Slightly O/T, but how far along did Marble Madness 2 get in the production process? Were these cabinets ever tested on location?

I would have expected to see a more generic cabinet for a completely unreleased title -- not something with full art.

It allegedly tested poorly. One of the contributing factors to that being that in 1991, beat ‘em ups (like final fight/tmnt/Simpsons/etc.) were taking in the quarters. Also the SF2 1on1 fighting craze was simmering & just around the corner.

Original action themes like MM2 were put on the back burner (low priority) while games like Pit Fighter were prioritized.

Also, regarding the fully dressed cabinet, it’s REPOP. It was NOT like that originally. The cabinet & artwork were all implemented by the current owner. Allegedly, the original files for the artwork; (marquee, CPO, side art, bezel sticker, etc.) were “found” in Atari’s archives & printed from that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

I thought it was done and location tested.

I believe it was Tempest. Like Supergun mentioned, timing is key (like most prototypes). I don't know people that were clamoring for a sequel to Marble Madness in and as late '91. Not sure why they didn't push for a sequel in the Atari system 2 lineup. Atari did some weird stuff in that era...

12 hours ago, Dutchman2000 said:

To answer this question you have to look at Atari's policy regarding backups at that time.  They didn't back up everything as they do today.  Projects were only backed up to tape at the request of the Project Manager.  Looks like in this case the backup was done early on and never after that.  Everyone who has looked at the data (Including several members of the MAME team) has stated there is really nothing there to work with. 

Thanks for the insight on that. I forgot about that Gremlins game. Judging by the scoring font, it looks like it was originally be part of the System 1 lineup - take it anyday over Peter Pack Rat <blah. Too bad... with a little polish and another level , gameplay looks solid.

My list of prototypes I wish were released: (some are on Mame)

Taito Black Widow - NOT the Atari version still not dumped

Gottlieb Arena/Argus - Both of these games rock, especially the former

Sega Battle Star

Exidy Top Gunner

Cinematronics Freeze - this game is super fun

Atari Gremlins

Atari Roadrunner laserdisc version (they considered Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as well) - that would've been badass

Rock-Ola QB-3 marquee was found

My most wanted... besides that Taito Black Widow is Kungfu Master 2. Not sure what the status is now. Despite rumors on the web, I contacted one of the members of the Mame team and the game is NOT dumped.

Edited by schuwalker

30 minutes ago, schuwalker said:

My most wanted... besides that Taito Black Widow is Kungfu Master 2. Not sure what the status is now. Despite rumors on the web, I contacted one of the members of the Mame team and the game is NOT dumped.

Yeah I'm curious about that one as well.  My understanding is that the original board was dumped but damaged so you could only play up to a certain level.  Then I read that they either fixed the board or found another copy to dump but that's the last I heard.