IGNORED

PC interface for the Adam Keyboard

intvdave

oooooh yeah! so excited. does it work on a mac? I'd love to see a longer video of you typing a bunch of text in a document. how's the latency from key strike to result on the display? what are my chances of getting one of these within the month? I'd pay as much as 50 dollars for this adapter.(consider this my PM expressing interest in buying one) man I can't believe it. awesome work.

There is no latency for the keyboard's input. I am typing this post using the Adam keyboard and it is responding just as the keyboard on my laptop would respond. There is a longer pause when holding a key down but the key is repeating. We may be able to tune this. The location of the backspace is killing me but my memory just triggered and I remember how I would hit the backspace key in the 80's. I did not remember how my hands get a workout from typing on this keyboard!

The interface connects to the computer using a USB port and presents itself to the computer as an HID keyboard. This is why I was able to type on my laptop then the Adam keyboard. It should work on a Mac with no problem. I sold the Intellivision Ultimate Interface which is also an HID interface and it worked fine on a Mac.

Below is a better view of the interface. I am thinking that the interface could be sold like this if there are only a handful of people interested in it.

I do not think you will be able to get one in Janurary. I understanding wanting it now. It has been many years for me. Hang on a bit more...we are close.

post-6868-0-53861300-1452309591_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on getting the interface working and looking forward to further updates and it's eventual availability. As far as the picture of the interface supplied above, will it remain a two PCB interface or will this be reduced to one and what's with the four phone cable connectors on the one PCB? I know one would be for the ADAMnet cable coming from the keyboard, but what's with the other three?

BTW, a case would be great, so hope you get enough interest to warrant one.

Thanks NIAD. i would love to be able to answer your questions but will have to wait until we get closer to release. I would love to see it all on one PCB but if there are only 3 other people interested in this, the interface may be put together by hand and on two PCBs and no case. The way I look at it is, at least you can get one...or better.... at least I have one (hahahahaha).

If anyone has just the keyboard and is missing the cord to connect the keyboard to the Adam (or soon to be released interface), here is a link where you can buy a cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=939

I bought one and it works perfectly.

I am thinking the interface could be installed inside the keyboard. We are still trying to figure this out....

• 4 weeks later...

Thomas, this is more for you.

http://www.intellivision.us/adam.mp4

It is not a great video but you see the keyboard in action and you can hear me "beating" on the keyboard. I showed it with Smart Writer as you see many keys working and I wanted to show it working on a Raspberry (not that you see the Raspberry).

Very little progress has been made beyond the prototype. I keep the keyboard connected and on all day with my Raspberry setup and this shows that the interface (and keyboard) are holding up well.

I am still not sure when/if you will be able to get one. I am hoping by summer but life is getting in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the "finished" product. The prototype has been connected and powered on for weeks now and has been working flawlessly. I now need to do this same with this board. Once it passes the time test, a few should be able to be released. The prototype will become availalbe also.

I have yet to do this but this board should fit nicely inside the keyboard. I am hoping the usb jack fits nicely where the RJ-12 connector is.

post-6868-0-34582400-1455286706_thumb.jpg

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 6

Well, if you are looking for a "fun" project, I don't think I'm the only one who would love to take a PC floppy drive (either a 5.25" or 3.5") and connect it to the Adam through the AdamNet.

Or better yet, a USB adapter to AdamNet so we can just plug in FAT-formatted thumbdrives. :)

Yes, I realize that's a humungous wish, but you never know unless you ask! :D

Sorry LoTanah but I do not have an Adam Floppy drive which we would need to try to get the drive working with the interface. We considered the idea but, as you mentioned, it needs to be fun for me and possible. I did look to purchase a drive but it seems that they have not aged well so the task is even more challenging.

Lucky for me, and us (the 6 interested in the keyboard interface), the keyboard has aged well. I picked up 3 of them and they all work perfectly. I now keep my keyboard connected to my Raspberry PI in the living room with no complaints from the wife. We also use it to control Kodi :)

I was thinking there might be more interest in the interface but it seem that there are about 6 people interested in it. I doubt the price will be $20. I am hoping it does not go over $50. At $50, we may lose some people but this is not about making money; just about people, including myself, enjoying the nostalgia. I am hoping for it to be available by the summer.

• Like 1

Good news concerning any possible Adamnet compatible USB or SD Drive being developed by someone is that there is a lot of info available from Micro Innovations concerning their Adamnet HD and FDD products that should prove very useful.

Bad news is their site is down for good.

Good news is that I saved everything just in case.

• Like 1