IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I'd like to see a titanium alloy shell. Surprised this wasn't an option the first time around.

Just wait until the multitude of "Limited collectors editions" start rolling out. The gaming press will be all over them when they decide to release a limited edition console for every substance in the periodic table.

But how could you make a console out of gas, or a highly unstable element existing for merely milliseconds in lab conditions, you ask. Nothing is impossible in Retroland, i say.

• Like 3

Just wait until the multitude of "Limited collectors editions" start rolling out. The gaming press will be all over them when they decide to release a limited edition console for every substance in the periodic table.

That's only half the potential--think of all the "prototype" units that are going to come up for sale.

I'm a little surprised that we haven't already seen non-functional protos for sale.

The following makes me hate myself a little:

I kinda want the one with a cardboard printout in it. Just to say I have it.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

StopDrop&Retro I'll be at PAX south on Friday only.

The Molds should survive 1,000,000+ shells as they are metal, Metal molds are made to last; aluminum molds are the ones that die/break in the 100,000s range.

Sweet! I sent you a PM.

I remember hearing Mike say that he has two sets of molds, one of which was used and the other was unused. What's more concerning are the modifications they'll need to make to them. The Chameleon renders seem to indicate that they're going to modify or add to them. Depending on whether they make a separate back panel or just integrate it with a brand new bottom half they may end up using only the top half of those money saving molds in the end.

That's a mystery I hope the visitors to the toy fair booth can clear up- will the demo unit have a back panel? If it does, is it 3d printed or manufactured like the rest?

But how could you make a console out of gas, or a highly unstable element existing for merely milliseconds in lab conditions, you ask. Nothing is impossible in Retroland, i say.

TRIVIA TIME!!! Did you know Mike stated in a podcast that he wanted to see about making a one-off wooden Retro VGS? Sort of like Analogue's consolized MVS units.

You're on the right track, if you substitute "console" for "element" then yes, it's a highly unstable console that will probably only exist for mere milliseconds.

But Mike has a bigger problem on his hands. Our top minds are reporting that they're close to discovering a new and exciting element this year. And so far it goes by the atomic symbol "Nx"

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 4

Yes, the tentative "Nx" element also known as "Hypeium", very sensitive of bad announcements and thrives when released in tiny amounts that has to be meticulously traced and speculated upon.

I don't know why, but all this talk about metal cases for the RVG... dammit, the Chameleon made me remember on the old thread someone mentioning a stainless steel DeLorean console where the Laserdisc-tray would swing out all crazy and it'd be so futuristic and have traces of some white mystery powder all over the internals or something. Can't stop laughing at the thought.

A stainless steel console would be quite dope, tho.

• Like 3

Gold plated, silver plated, etc goals. The sky is the limit.

Uranium lined. Guaranteed to remain stable for 4.5 billion years.

A glass shell doped with uranium oxide would be awesome. The lemon-lime yellow shell shines brilliant green under a black light. Maybe someone could do an LED mod with 395nm UV LEDs. :cool:

I have some uranium marbles at home. They're pretty cool.

Fluorescent_Uranium_Depression_Glass.jpg

• Like 1

That's for die casting metals. Jag shells are plastic injection mold.

Oh yeah, you're right of course. Derp. I have educated myself on the injection molding process via Wikipedia and have learned enough to be mildly dangerous in a production facility. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_moulding

As for uranium anything, I hope you don't give SoCal Parrothead any more brilliant ideas. The only thing worse than a 2016 1980s style game system is a one that gives off 1950s style ionizing radiation.

• Like 1

As for uranium anything, I hope you don't give SoCal Parrothead any more brilliant ideas. The only thing worse than a 2016 1980s style game system is a one that gives off 1950s style ionizing radiation.

Uranium glass is not dangerous and safe to handle.

Uranium mining operations largely got sequestered by world governments when the nuclear age started, making uranium glassware or glazed ceramic collectible on the antique market. Marbles and any modern novelties made from uranium glass are usually made with "depleted" uranium, which is even less radioactive than the raw ore. U-238 has a half life of 4.5 billion years and is fairly stable.

The uranium content of most Vaseline glass is only about 1-2% and safe to handle. Like lead crystal, the mineral is trapped inside the glass and will not leech out. The radiation exposure from occasional handling is only slightly higher than natural background radiation. You'll get a higher dose from a few minutes of sunshine, or even changing the battery in your smoke detector.

Other uses of depleted uranium include armor piercing bullets used by military, and shielding of radioactive isotopes.

Happily, they said controllers, not "paddles." It's not THAT retro!

I was about to say that myself. When did anyone say there would be "paddles"??? That at least would look retro, instead of a rebadged Wii U controller that they got for cheap because nobody else wanted it.

Actually, when I first read it, I thought the quote was "you might be on something here". Given that they've publicly called people "drunkards" in the past, it wouldn't have surprised me.

• Like 1

In yesterday's Facebook post, he says someone "might be onto something" with $150 w/pack-in game suggestion; gives booth #; says the display will be a playable prototype with two paddles and multiplayer games:

attachicon.gifFBCapture.PNG

Elaborating on your post...

post-9942-0-88775600-1453932990_thumb.png

Not only are they committing to having more than one title, the titles will be playable, and have multiplayer options. All this from the company that, one month ago, didn't have a prototype and was e-begging for developers.

Providing the Toy Fair goes as they say it will, I see only two possibilities: either the Chameleon is made entirely of off-the-shelf parts that were available over the last two and a half weeks, or somehow the partnership with Coleco has allowed them to absorb some pre-existing hardware design and slap it right into the Jag shell.

Am I missing a third possibility?

• Like 1

A few come to mind:

1. Young EEE grad student tricked into thinking he is a co founder of a startup and the next big deal only to find he is written out of the company after creating the board.

2. Paul Wylie http://www.retrovgs.com/team.htmlHe has is EE and even if he took a management track he has the background to be able to build the board or manage it.

3. Mike called a mutual friend who developed a product through Atgames and got contacts, then offered them more than than the usual return for designing the board with address/clock/vcc etc. lines to a port

Either way it is all likely leveraged by the 2nd most prevalent substance on the planet next to corn skimmed from waste treatment plants: Kennedy scheme stocks

A third hardware possibility is faking it with PC hardware, not showing the guts to people. A software possibility is licensed Coleco content (see Colecovision Flashback) running on who-knows-what. If they're stringing along their Facebook followers with half-truths, it won't be pretty when the full truth comes out.

• Like 5

Wow. Either it is like pointed out above that they threw something together in wild panic in 3 weeks from off the shelf-stuff with some random compatible indie-game played from carts by manner of cheating and/or witchcraft and pray to all deities that it holds together through the fair while they try to ficure out another stupid explanation why not a single game was announced through january as they promised on multiple occasions...

...or all this back-and-forth prototype and shell mishmash, 2 minute power adapter announcements, team and dev-related drama and mouth diarrhea about games and features was all an elaborate ruse to draw attention while an elite team of hardware and software developers are working fir several months in unison putting together a console masterpiece with some seriously dope cartridge system with super-exciting exclusive games from Capcom and Namco in a high tech lab somewhere.

Seriously. Where are those game announcements?

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 1

I missed this twitter response from a few days back, but here it is.

Someone is asking where those game lineup announcements were and if he/she missed it, the RVGS team answers that they are still coming.

https://twitter.com/RETROVGS/status/691856289174032385

Considering there is only 1 day of January left soon they better drop the real bomb.