IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Alright, we heard in December that games and developers for the Chameleon would be unveiled troughout January, to pump up the hype for the prototype unveil at the Toy fair in February.

It is now January 15, half the month has passed and we haven't seen any game teaser or reveal, nothing.

Nothing on their facebook since December 18. Nothing on their web page except the controversy/mystery of their team and on Twitter we find only a, in the circumstances of things, quite funny tweet from January 8th saying they are looking for devs who want to put games on catridges: https://twitter.com/RETROVGS/status/685890327115255808

I don't want to point fingers, but could it perhaps be that they really didn't have anything to show off to begin with and just now they are looking for devs to show off some games before january is up? :grin: :grin: :grin:

I stopped holding my breath a long time ago. I was never too keen on the project (among other things, the games didn't interest me), but it held my attention, perhaps because it promised so much, or perhaps because it made for a great experiment, or perhaps because of all the hype built up or the characters involved.

Time has passed, thankfully, and threads have closed, thankfully, and if anyone sheds a tear for the RetroVGS/Chameleon, fire up the SNES, the ColecoVision, the computer, or the Raspberry Pi and have some real fun.

• Like 4

quite funny tweet from January 8th saying they are looking for devs who want to put games on catridges: https://twitter.com/RETROVGS/status/685890327115255808

I don't want to point fingers, but could it perhaps be that they really didn't have anything to show off to begin with and just now they are looking for devs to show off some games before january is up? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Pencils down, Mikey.

I predict this silence is a brilliant PR move in the making. I'm sure they're not announcing anything because they have a huge reveal they're cookin' like Shovel Knight with exclusive DLC, or maybe Shakedown Hawaii a year before anyone else can get it, maybe even Fez 2.

That Twitter is a real piece of work. I also liked how they showed off the power button and light pipe tooling. They have good reason to be proud of that, it's the only piece of tooling that doesn't have "ATARI" engraved in it.

• Like 4

Alright, we heard in December that games and developers for the Chameleon would be unveiled troughout January, to pump up the hype for the prototype unveil at the Toy fair in February.

It is now January 15, half the month has passed and we haven't seen any game teaser or reveal, nothing.

Nothing on their facebook since December 18. Nothing on their web page except the controversy/mystery of their team and on Twitter we find only a, in the circumstances of things, quite funny tweet from January 8th saying they are looking for devs who want to put games on catridges: https://twitter.com/RETROVGS/status/685890327115255808

CARTRIDGES.

• Like 1

CARTRIDGES.

Forgive me. I think i had a relapse of sensibility for a moment. Cartridges!

Empty cartridges for the masses!

EDIT: As for the sensibility of keeping quiet, well yes... But if the PR plan is to keep quiet then don't spill beans of promised games in one month all over the place and then keep quiet and pretend nothing happened.

Granted, there is still half a month to go and they might still surprise us, but one would assume they would have gotten *something* out in the first half of the month.

Edited by Raticon

They are focussing on shells again, they've posted a video of the making of a real Coleco Chameleon Shell on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/RETROVGS/videos/vb.783316545070951/933719050030699/?type=2&theater

Chameleon behind the scenes. Preparing the prototype system shells for the upcoming board installation. This was a first pass hot stamping a logo on a freshly made black system shell. We will be shrinking the logo in size and removing the white outline in the next run and compare the two versions.

Edited by roland p

A few choice comments from the viewers of that vid:

So it's yet again about the shell and not the hardware?

I'd care more for some gameplay maybe a start up screen. Something other than the case. The case could be a dog turd and it wouldn't matter. Looks should come last, I want to play games, not stare at a case.

Waste of time!!!!! I've got a snes and a Genesis!!!!!!!

we are seeing different versions of cases over a year now. what about the hardware?

It's what's inside that counts.

• Like 6

well, im totally uninterested now. i wrote something on the fb a day or two ago asking if theres any info about spec or developers/publishers yet, and i got this back in a private message:

Hi Shawn. We are on the third iteriation of the prototype and have games playing on the hardware. As we prepare to demo the unit at Toy Fair New York in February we are making great progress. Sit tight as we will begin revealing more info as we get closer to the show.

so if you have a prototype...and you are not going to show any sort of anything to gamers as you develop, yet you say you have games, as in 'more than one game'...then i guess continue to shoot yourself in the foot and flaunt the cosmetics when potential customers wanna see anything but that, they'd wanna see games.. instead of showing us something that, you know, makes us want to buy the unit. no chance in the world i will buy this now, this is ridiculous. either they have absolutely nothing to show for this even now, or they are going to go right down to the last minute getting things together for a toy fair when they need to be pretty deeply invested in show all of us what they have, not a toy fair. either way im out.

• Like 3

well, im totally uninterested now. i wrote something on the fb a day or two ago asking if theres any info about spec or developers/publishers yet, and i got this back in a private message:

so if you have a prototype...and you are not going to show any sort of anything to gamers as you develop, yet you say you have games, as in 'more than one game'...then i guess continue to shoot yourself in the foot and flaunt the cosmetics when potential customers wanna see anything but that, they'd wanna see games.. instead of showing us something that, you know, makes us want to buy the unit. no chance in the world i will buy this now, this is ridiculous. either they have absolutely nothing to show for this even now, or they are going to go right down to the last minute getting things together for a toy fair when they need to be pretty deeply invested in show all of us what they have, not a toy fair. either way im out.

We really don't know what they'll pull out of their hats at the toy fair. If it's anything less than a finished product, I take it will not bode well for them. I can only imagine the reaction if they pull a smoke and mirrors BS.

Humor me for a moment. You are an investor expecting to see a fully functional unit. Instead you find a mechanical sample (empty shell) on display, with a looping video consisting primarily of Tiny Knight gameplay and promotional renders on a monitor screen. Mike hands you contract to sign for pre-purchase of 10,000 units to sell at your retail chain. You realize this could be an enormous financial risk for the company you represent should these units fail to sell, or worse, fail to materialize. Your job and career are on the line. Do you sign off on the form? :ponder:

• Like 1

We really don't know what they'll pull out of their hats at the toy fair. If it's anything less than a finished product, I take it will not bode well for them. I can only imagine the reaction if they pull a smoke and mirrors BS.

Humor me for a moment. You are an investor expecting to see a fully functional unit. Instead you find a mechanical sample (empty shell) on display, with a looping video consisting primarily of Tiny Knight gameplay and promotional renders on a monitor screen. Mike hands you contract to sign for pre-purchase of 10,000 units to sell at your retail chain. You realize this could be an enormous financial risk for the company you represent should these units fail to sell, or worse, fail to materialize. Your job and career are on the line. Do you sign off on the form? :ponder:

I would say,"Does it come with a useless robot? Nintendo once showed us one. No? Then what the Hell are you doing here? This is a toy fair! No useless robot then no toy! Huh? What do you mean it is a retro video game console that doesn't need a robot? Again, this is a toy fair! You can't say console here! I'll tell you what, if you come back here in a year with your Cabbage Patch Kids rainbow colored toilets or whatever they are suppose to be with a useless robot and call it a retro entertainment control deck then I'll consider it but as of now it is pretty clear to me that you have no clue about how to market a retro toy. Anyway, I heard there is a booth with a Hello Kitty karaoke jump rope set. That sounds sweet! See ya."

• Like 3

Didn't the Coleco guy (i.e. the one from the company holding the rights) say the Toy Fair would feature a number of Coleco-branded products? That means the Chameleon will be only one of several; probably the goal is to get investors for the brand.

Coleco name is worthless. I wonder what other totally unrelated garbage will have the brand on it. In other news, I recieved my white Smurf 2600 cart in the mail yesterday and was reminded of RetroVGS SNAFU when I saw "COLECO" emblazoned on the cart shell. That's how bad Coleco stinks as a brand now. Mike and Co have successfully ruined my childhood; thanks a lot...

I'm wondering how they plan to get developers to sign on when they won't even commit to hardware specs.

Obviously they plan to wow them all with old atari tooling.

And I'm sure it's working out just great for them.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1