IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Are you sure you can download them all though? I only backed year 1 too and I see all 10 issues there as well but can only download the first six.

I just tried the site and I can download all 10 issues, cause I did back Year Two and got Year One as a bonus.

Too bad there probaly won't be a issue 11 -- it sounds like a lot of stuff was already submitted for it.

• Like 1

Given what happened, I don't think Mike will show his face ANYWHERE for a good six months if not longer...not at cons, not at gaming events, not on podcasts, not on YouTube, nothing. He's just going to lay low and wait for the worst of the damage to clear. What he does after that? Only time will tell. I'm a forgiving person by nature and I believe in second chances, but Mr. Kennedy has HAD his second chance already. Is anyone really going to give him a third?

My prediction is he will GTFO of Dodge as far as video games are concerned. If he has any other interests or hobbies I wouldn't be at all shocked if he bulldozed his way into one of those as a money making venture.

With video games he made the classic mistake of taking something he liked and had a decent working knowledge and turned it into his job. Quickest way to turn something you like into something you loathe is to make your income depend on it. Not to say that someone CAN'T do this and be happy and successful but the odds are really stacked against you.

• Like 7

Please stop with the posts that are insulting or degrading against Mike Kennedy or anyone else just for the sake of being mean-spirited. Mike's current iteration of this project is now over and his reputation is heavily damaged. There's no need to poor salt into open wounds. There are plenty of other things to talk about without having to go down that route. If you're finding yourself bored with this thread, there are many thousands of others to choose from.

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 28

Just so you guys know, the Facebook page is probably "unpublished" right now. Why? Mike probably has to remove all mention of Coleco from the Facebook page and the easiest way to do that at your leisure would be to unpublish the page. This leaves Mike with the "likes" when he republishes the page, at least I believe so.

It is very likely that Mike will be back with something else. Maybe he got one of those "Under new management" banners you see outside of ailing businesses. I am not privy to that information. I did contact him (probably went straight to his trash bin) in relation to purchasing RETRO Mag from him. As you all know, I co-own Retro Gaming Magazine- a competitor to Mike's product. Removing any chance of truth to rumors that I could be forced to change the name of my site would rather nice in my eyes.

This saga is far from over though. If you listen carefully, you can almost hear Mike thinking up a new plan.

You ending up with the Retro name would be a nice side effect of all this.

• Like 2

... or save it on a CARTRIDGE!!!

That's Brilliant! The internet on Cartridge format!

Web pages on carts. Want to go to a new page, put in that cart.

A Jaguar shell could house a dedicated web browser that hooks to your TV, pop in a cart for say RVGoogle.. Then use the on cart search engine by typing what you want to search for. The engine will pull up a list of possible matches from the RVG cartridge catalog. You click on the the cart you want and 39.99 is deducted from your bank account and in 4-6 weeks the cartridge you selected will arrive at your door. Just pop it in and view that web site.

• Like 7

Heh heh heh. You

That's Brilliant! The internet on Cartridge format!

Web pages on carts. Want to go to a new page, put in that cart.

A Jaguar shell could house a dedicated web browser that hooks to your TV, pop in a cart for say RVGoogle.. Then use the on cart search engine by typing what you want to search for. The engine will pull up a list of possible matches from the RVG cartridge catalog. You click on the the cart you want and 39.99 is deducted from your bank account and in 4-6 weeks the cartridge you selected will arrive at your door. Just pop it in and view that web site.

Heh heh heh. What's funny to me is that we are closer to the pre-cartridge predictions for computing nowadays. Apart from the fashion, this is pretty much how I spent my day today:

• Like 3

Heh heh heh. You

Heh heh heh. What's funny to me is that we are closer to the pre-cartridge predictions for computing nowadays. Apart from the fashion, this is pretty much how I spent my day today:

Looks like they predicted smack talking while playing online games too.

Give them some credit, they did manage to get the word out far and wide, well in advance of when they were supposed to deliver.

The only reason word spread so far was because the entire situation was baffling, and left people curious and asking questions. That had nothing to do with any marketing prowess on Mike's side. The "Retro Video Game System" is one of the most unimaginative, uninspiring, and unremarkable names ever coined for a console. Each of his public statements detonated another problem. The websites and crowdfunding content were a mess, including the copy on it.

This was popular specifically because of marketing failure.

• Like 8

Who want's to be this man's Bodyguard ??

:) :)

You can call me Betty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI

Please stop with the posts that are insulting or degrading against Mike Kennedy or anyone else just for the sake of being mean-spirited. Mike's current iteration of this project is now over and his reputation is heavily damaged. There's no need to poor salt into open wounds. There are plenty of other things to talk about without having to go down that route. If you're finding yourself bored with this thread, there are many thousands of others to choose from.

Thanks,

..Al

I hate to diminish Mike for his dreams, but I hate to leave the rest of the "community" in debts to them, either.

We all reap what we sow, you know?

Great song. :thumbsup:

My father and mother use to sing this all the time when I was younger. Ned Flanders from The Simpsons also was singing this song as well in a past episode once!

Anthony...

Great song. :thumbsup:

My father and mother use to sing this all the time when I was younger. Ned Flanders from The Simpsons also was singing this song as well in a past episode once!

Anthony...

Beautiful people sing beautiful things... if only the others could step aboard, eh?

• Like 1

And so we broke past the 450K views.
At ~100 days from the beginning of the thread it's an average of 4.5K views a day.
Not sure if it is good, bad or meh.

I am still left with the greatest curiosity about Mr Lee ... maybe he is someone like Janus that played the part, not sure but it will make for a good ending if we can figure out who he may be and what company he works for (if any).
The important part is to determine if he was part of the "operation" or as far as Mike is concerned Mr Lee was really a third party guy that took him for a spin .... note that the first time around when there was no Mr Lee involved at all they didn't prove they could do much better by themselves mind you so it's just to cross the Ts and dot the Is.

Maybe triverse, pipercub, UKMike or thenavguy can help shed a light on that dark spot if they care to waste invest more time in this.

• Like 5

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/8/11180670/coleco-chameleon-terminated-retrovgs-closed-down

"Thomann said engineers contacted by a River West representative examined the console "and we weren't satisfied with it.""

"We thought it would be an originally developed console, and the indications were that it just wasn't."

Sounds like they did provide them with something and I'm not gonna lie, I'm very curious as to what they gave them.

My guess is either some sort of off the shelf board, or a rainbow painted rock in a Jag shell.

I cant see them handing in the snes-in-a-jag proto but I still cant help but laugh when I picture that.

Photo+Oct+19,+8+34+33+PM.jpg

• Like 6

Give them some credit, they did manage to get the word out far and wide, well in advance of when they were supposed to deliver.

The only reason word spread so far was because the entire situation was baffling, and left people curious and asking questions. That had nothing to do with any marketing prowess on Mike's side. The "Retro Video Game System" is one of the most unimaginative, uninspiring, and unremarkable names ever coined for a console. Each of his public statements detonated another problem. The websites and crowdfunding content were a mess, including the copy on it.

This was popular specifically because of marketing failure.

The mainstream gaming press, tech blogs, YouTube gaming channels lapped up the marketing. Do a quick Google News search for "Coleco Chameleon" from before the DVR card discovery if you don't believe me. Like the average Facebook user, and unlike most people around here, they weren't skeptical or critical about the project at all, at least not until we had found definite proof of the fakery.

• Like 1