IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

That is something I look forward to!

That is something I hope will die with the Chameleon right now.

yeah, but i don't think it will.

YouTube is a tank full of sharks, people are desperate for clicks. Expect more videos fueling this BS.

• Like 5

I don't remember what I did, don't remember if it was intentional or I was trying to create a time machine or some shit, but I actually melted two kits at the same time LOL

I was once a candidate for the Jr Darwin awards. Number one cardinal rule of electronics kits: One should never play with electricity from the mains! :o

Once I also shocked the fire out of myself and nearly made my heart stop with a circuit running off a 9 volt battery. I hooked the relay (blue box) so that the coil broke the circuit as it energized, which besides generating a ton of audible wideband RF noise, created a powerful inductive kickback pulse that created a mysterious tingling sensation whenever I placed my index and middle fingers across the relay terminals. It was then I learned that I had a fairly high tolerance for electrical pain. I then took the transformer block from a 9V AC adapter that I previously dissected, connected the low voltage secondary coil in series with the relay coil. Then I grabbed both ends of the high voltage primary winding in either hand, and instantly both my arms felt like they were on fire and my heart seized up for about half a second. It knocked me the hell back, but luckily my heart did not stop, and I did not black out, but i remember laying there on the floor for ten, fifteen minutes, too scared and fatigued to get up, trembling and feeling cold and clammy, beads of sweat dripping from my forehead, and I felt a tingling sensation in my forearms and fingers that persisted into the next day. I never told my parents about it but that night quietly thanked the Lord I was still alive. My parents were both out of the house, and had my heart stopped, nobody would have been there to revive me until hours too late. The transformers in those little DC adapters that reduced the lethal charge in the walls into something that was safe to play with could also convert a harmless circuit into a lethal voltage when operated in reverse. :skull:

I later attempted to use said power brick in reverse to light a light bulb, but alas, the transformer was useless for converting DC power, and even if it could, my small bank of AA batteries could never have provided sufficient juice to illuminate the luminary.

EDIT. Sorry if this is OT. I stepped out for a couple hours because real life responsibilities.

Edited by Kosmic Stardust
  • Like 2

This project is 100% dead now. I don't expect to hear anything from Mike Kennedy. I am guessing that the RETRO magazine they make will die off too.

I am the last person that wants to see another US based gaming magazine bite the dust, but after everything that has gone down....I am not sure I can even point my members to the subscription page at RETRO without feeling dirty.

• Like 7

So, anyone know anything about any trademarks or anything on all this? Was "Coleco Chameleon" or the logo or whatever registered? If the Coleco/Retrovgs association is over, what does that do to any trademarks or legal ownership of the "Chameleon" name.

Engadget has updated its original story with what we knew along: Atari never agreed to any of this, and Engadget was wrong to run with it.

Well, I'm happy to have known in my heart of hearts this wasn't true and was an audacious claim. In the rush to keep up with the thread I missed posting a dissertation on it. Now I'm moving on to bigger and better things - so it will never get written now.

• Like 2

AutoHotKey can solve that :)

Loop
{
Run, http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?view=getnewpost
Sleep 60000 
}

If I invested a tiny bit of time, I could technically even make it scroll the page slowly and then proceed to the next page. Wonder if Albert would let me pull all the posts and make an audio book out of this thread ...lol

I've been trying to capture this thread into a single file using Pagezipper to make the mother of all videogame business ebooks, but it craps out at around page 200.

• Like 2

So, anyone know anything about any trademarks or anything on all this? Was "Coleco Chameleon" or the logo or whatever registered? If the Coleco/Retrovgs association is over, what does that do to any trademarks or legal ownership of the "Chameleon" name.

Word Mark CHAMELEON VIDEO-GAME SYSTEM Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Video game consoles Standard Characters Claimed Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK Serial Number 86897164 Filing Date February 4, 2016 Current Basis 1B Original Filing Basis 1B Owner (APPLICANT) Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 28516 Sorano Cove Trabuco Canyon CALIFORNIA 92679 Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
  • Like 5

According to Chris Cardillo:

I can just picture Mike spinning the fact that someone from Atari said "hey, a Jaguar, cool, we should have some games on that" into "We have licensed the whole 2600 library. I don't think he does think at those times, he's too busy selling the hell out of it!

You expect them to do stuff like go to primary sources when there are perfectly good inaccurate Tweets floating around?

I wonder if a Ferengi could have made this project succeed?

• Like 2

Great news Coleco finally got this shut down. I hope they have some success reviving the mini arcades, at least those based on non-nintendo properties. I would love to own a modern recreation of Coleco Frogger, Pacman, etc. Let's hope at least some of the big-wig execs signs off on their old arcade IP.

Edit: Never mind, it's up, and it's good news. Time to swing my arms and dance!

Does your avatar ever get tired? :lol:

Cause Mike is unprofessional, plus I don't think he actually believes he is lying

Would takes years to program all the features he wanted just on the software side, especially all the Cores he promised.

Hardware platform should of been easy to do since it mainly just a SOC with a ARM/FGPA with HDMI and USB ports and a cartiage slot

The heavy-lifting for that has already been done!

I am the last person that wants to see another US based gaming magazine bite the dust, but after everything that has gone down....I am not sure I can even point my members to the subscription page at RETRO without feeling dirty.

Well, if it will assuage your conscience, Mike apparently doesn't pay his writers and owes them money.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/707287415082209280

• Like 4

I dunno. After everything that went on, I think Stinkbug is the most apropos.

Stinkbug is good, but I have another suggestion. I was looking for a defunct console maker that started with "D", but no dice, so I offer up: The V-Tech DungBeetle.You will not believe all the shit MK has planned for this system!!

post-26465-0-59225300-1457474037.jpg

• Like 3