IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

In all fairness, he is probably trying to protect his career, he got sucked into a BS project and this is called damage control. He is probably a really nice guy with some decent talent.

$0.02

• Like 6

The thing that still gets me about that video and makes me chuckle is John calling an obvious kitchen table "the retro vgs lab"

I heard that Steve Woita told him to say that, which he tried to indicate with his eyes by looking at him- it's like a hostage video.

I know it's cruel, but I have to say- it is hilarious to watch the Streisand Effect happen in real time!

The more John tries to scrub the video away, the more he makes it spread. He's like the unintentional Johnny Appleseed of embarrassing videos.

It's beginning to look like politely asking you to remove his name from the original video would have been such a better option for him. Maybe he'll think again and try that option.

In all fairness, he is probably trying to protect his career, he got sucked into a BS project and this is called damage control. He is probably a really nice guy with some decent talent.

$0.02

He seems like an OK guy to me, other than the tendency to exaggerate his abilities and experience.
  • Like 3

$0.02

I'm sure Mike Kennedy is probably a really nice guy with some decent talent [... somewhere]

But being a nice guy does not excuse anyone from participating in a predatory scheme, which is what this project intended to be and that video was just one more step in that direction. If he ever wanted to protect his career he could have started by flatly refusing to participate in that video. But instead he felt that his best career move would be to appease Mike.

It's beginning to look like politely asking you to remove his name would have been such a better option for him.

And I would have gladly given that to him.

Not anymore. I don't have any obligation to protect him from his own stupidity so I don't care if a search of his name leads back to that video. He sure didn't have my best interests in mind when he submitted that copyright strike that fucked with my channel, so I have no sympathy for him. He's not a "nice guy" from where I'm sitting.

• Like 10

it seems pretty paltry of him to try and takedown this video, given his association in the entire fiasco is well documented via google and plenty of articles. does he seriously think he can scrub himself from history like that? there was a time where i considered him a guy with a modicum of intelligence...after this, not so much.

• Like 2

200.gif

The Retro VGS saga hasn't ended for me.

John Carlsen is currently trying to scrub the infamous "Retro VGS first quick demo" video off the internet. Back when I re-uploaded it on my own channel I promised that if they hit me with a takedown I'd dispute it, which I am doing. I think the video should be available, it's important to this story and I will fight to keep a form of that video accessible to the public.

At this stage, YouTube still has my re-upload down and will keep it down for another two or three weeks. They will only keep it down after that if John Carlsen shows them proof that he has filed suit against me.

If the video didn't have a Copyright notice, he doesn't have grounds for a lawsuit.

• Like 1

You don't need a copyright notice, to have a work be copyrighted

Also would any Judge or Lawyer Care, when its 1 minute clip with no commercial appeal

I think it would have had to be registered with the copyright office before it was shared though.

Even with a copyright notice it has to be registered in order to file a lawsuit.

Without a notice on the work, there is such a thing as "innocent infringement", where the defendant had reason to believe it wasn't copyrighted.

The penalty would be as little as $200 if found guilty, but the burden of proof is on the defendant to show they didn't believe the work to be copyrighted.

Ultimately, a lawsuit would run up a lot of legal fees with no guarantee of winning.

I think it would have had to be registered with the copyright office before it was shared though.

Even with a copyright notice it has to be registered in order to file a lawsuit.

Without a notice on the work, there is such a thing as "innocent infringement", where the defendant had reason to believe it wasn't copyrighted.

The penalty would be as little as $200 if found guilty, but the burden of proof is on the defendant to show they didn't believe the work to be copyrighted.

Ultimately, a lawsuit would run up a lot of legal fees with no guarantee of winning.

To my understanding, a copyright exists at the moment a work is created instead of when registered like patents. For an example, the reason that free and open source software has to have copy left licenses to free them is that they have a copyright at the moment they create the software even if they don't want a copyright. To put it another way, a copyright goes to the first who created automatically and a patent goes to the first who registers even if they weren't the first to create. Therefore, to prove that you have a copyright you just have to prove that you are the creator. For an example, if this post can be copyrighted then I already have a copyright.

To my understanding, a copyright exists at the moment a work is created instead of when registered like patents. For an example, the reason that free and open source software has to have copy left licenses to free them is that they have a copyright at the moment they create the software even if they don't want a copyright. To put it another way, a copyright goes to the first who created automatically and a patent goes to the first who registers even if they weren't the first to create. Therefore, to prove that you have a copyright you just have to prove that you are the creator. For an example, if this post can be copyrighted then I already have a copyright.

The copyright exists from the time a work is created, but in this case he's only going back and copyrighting it so he can file a lawsuit.

I think a judge would have some difficulty with that.

Even if the guy were to win, filing the lawsuit would just make him look worse than he already does.

• Like 1

Most forums declare that anything posted is the property of the website owner.