IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

A question occurred to me, lets say it wasn't opened, what could one see without opening it? One of the benefits of owning a replica of the toy fair prototype.

You can see allot more than the picture shows, but from these you can easily recognize the SNES extensions plugged in, and the back is very recognizable. And so much for the theory it was hardwired, a quick peek shows it is not.

post-4118-0-74503700-1460063725_thumb.jpg

post-4118-0-55967600-1460063735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 11

A question occurred to me, lets say it wasn't opened, what could one see without opening it? One of the benefits of owning a replica of the toy fair prototype.

You can see allot more than the picture shows, but from these you can easily recognize the SNES extensions plugged in, and the back is very recognizable. And so much for the theory it was hardwired, a quick peek shows it is not.

I need to get an SNES Jr. so I can build myself one of those. I'm already planning to build a replica of the "capture card prototype": I was fortunate enough to get a clear Jag shell, and I have a HICAP50B card on order ... and "that's half the battle right there!"

• Like 11

To be fair, the toy fair "prototype" also had black tape, so it may be harder to tell.

I always shook my Christmas presents and peeked around the wrapping to try to work out what was inside; there's no way on earth that I would have been able to resist peeling back some of that that black tape to take a look inside if I was Mike, especially after the show when it didn't need to work any more.

Actually I wouldn't have even considered taking a homebrew ball of wires, tape, and electronics onto a plane without looking inside; imagine the TSA questions.

• Like 9

Please store them in a well ventilated area. I'm beginning to think the Jag molds are like the VHS tape from "The Ring."

Not gonna help, they need to be encased in led and dropped into the ocean. Or shot into space.

• Like 6

I purchased the molds from Mike. They are now in my control.

..Al

Please store them in a well ventilated area. I'm beginning to think the Jag molds are like the VHS tape from "The Ring."

I am not sure if Al ever said if he already took possession of them or just "control" as in paid for them, waiting for them to arrive but HAS a tracking number.

I always shook my Christmas presents and peeked around the wrapping to try to work out what was inside; there's no way on earth that I would have been able to resist peeling back some of that that black tape to take a look inside if I was Mike, especially after the show when it didn't need to work any more.

Actually I wouldn't have even considered taking a homebrew ball of wires, tape, and electronics onto a plane without looking inside; imagine the TSA questions.

That's it right there. If one was excited about the thing how could they not look in it. Hell, if you believed it was the real deal why not have it running with no cover at all to show off to all the haters you've got the real thing finally. I'm sure it was known to be 100% fake from before the toy show ever got started. I think it was just a prop to bluff their way through to the KS.

But, here is the thing. IF they had went to the toy fair and had some empty shells, hell even an SNES in a Jaguar shell and right up front said something along the lines of,

"This is not the actual system or the prototype. This is just a visual aid, to allow us to let people try out some of the games that will be playable at launch. There was an issue with the prototype that we could not get resolved before the show and it's not ready to present, but at least we can show off a proof of concept, and some cool games."

I think everyone would have been cool with that. There was no reason to bluff through the whole show and beyond if there was any integrity or honesty involved in the project. If it was going to be anything more than a cash grab, there would have been zero reason not to be honest and upfront. They could have even went that route with the KS campaign and simply said these are the kinds of rewards we want to offer, but we need more time to get everything ready so we are going to delay the launch a little while. There could have still been hype and excitement and I don't think people would have lost interest. There could have been regular "HONEST" updates about the progress of the system as they actually developed a real prototype rather than the charade we got. Every single little thing about the way the whole CC farce was handled by it's management makes it look like the project was done entirely in bad faith. If not an outright scam, then a cash grab and hopefully the people will get something kind of project at best.

• Like 6

"This is not the actual system or the prototype. This is just a visual aid, to allow us to let people try out some of the games that will be playable at launch. There was an issue with the prototype that we could not get resolved before the show and it's not ready to present, but at least we can show off a proof of concept, and some cool games."

I think everyone would have been cool with that.

I see what you're saying, but we wouldn't have been cool with that. We all would've said, "he doesn't have anything, this is all a scam." And we would've been right.

I know I'm late to this thread, been out of town all week for work, but wow. Just wow. I forget who first predicted it, but someone said that Mike would come out as a patsy and say that he was the one who was scammed. His story just does not add up, especially when you figure in all the Facebook post deleting that was going on. I don't think any of us have doubts that Mike knew all along the toy fair "proto" was a fake. If he didn't know it was a fake, then he's not fit to be a CEO of anything and he's certainly no expert on retro gaming. Anyway, like I said I'm late to the thread and don't want to add any more to the dog pile.

• Like 16

Has anyone had the chance or is trying to interview Steve Woita? He's the one major partner in this whole drama who has stayed silent -- and has for months, it seems like, ever since the infamous interview that he, Mike, and John did with Triverse. Would love to know his side of this story.

And if anyone has Sean on air -- that is, his voice -- maybe they could link to it and Eli (Piko) could confirm once and for all and to remove any slim trace of doubt remaining that, yup, that's the mysterious "Mr. Lee" he talked to. :P

• Like 1

Has anyone had the chance or is trying to interview Steve Woita? He's the one major partner in this whole drama who has stayed silent -- and has for months, it seems like, ever since the infamous interview that he, Mike, and John did with Triverse. Would love to know his side of this story.

And if anyone has Sean on air -- that is, his voice -- maybe they could link to it and Eli (Piko) could confirm once and for all and to remove any slim trace of doubt remaining that, yup, that's the mysterious "Mr. Lee" he talked to. :P

What if Steve Woita doesn't even know he was a partner and MK just name dropped to get support? Realistically if you have Steve Woita why would you need Mr. Lee? Why wouldn't you ask Steve Woita if he has anyone he would like to work on the project with....... I mean the dude has been doing this for like 30years........ I'm sure he has a solid network of people..........

• Like 2

I see what you're saying, but we wouldn't have been cool with that. We all would've said, "he doesn't have anything, this is all a scam." And we would've been right.

I know I'm late to this thread, been out of town all week for work, but wow. Just wow. I forget who first predicted it, but someone said that Mike would come out as a patsy and say that he was the one who was scammed. His story just does not add up, especially when you figure in all the Facebook post deleting that was going on. I don't think any of us have doubts that Mike knew all along the toy fair "proto" was a fake. If he didn't know it was a fake, then he's not fit to be a CEO of anything and he's certainly no expert on retro gaming. Anyway, like I said I'm late to the thread and don't want to add any more to the dog pile.

I agree with you there. I'm sure the majority of those here would have been like that, but to the general casual audience I don't think it would have been an issue. I think the project could have continued on and it wouldn't have gotten as much negative press as it had. Maybe I'm way off on that. It just seems to me the toy show prototype is where the line was crossed. I guess I'm getting at that if he was in it for good intentions that at that point things could have still been salvaged with some good and honest decision making and actions. Naturally, we've all seen that wasn't the case, so the whole argument he put up about being the victim and being scammed comes off as pure B.S. if for no other reason than because of the line that was crossed at the toy show. No decent human would have let that go on as one would have investigated the validity of their own prototype, if for no other reason than they believed it was real and sought to disprove the claims of it being a fake. Rather than just go with, "Well my hardware guy said it was real and I trust him 100% and have total faith in him."

To me, all hope of any kind of redemption was totally lost when the prototype was not opened at the toy show to prove that it was the real thing.

If MK had opened it the show to prove it was real and then had seen it was a fake, then he could have been like, "Well, I've been scammed!" and that could have been believable. It may well have ruined any hope of releasing a system but it may have saved what remained of his reputation.

I suppose, In my previous post I was trying to get across that if there had been some actual honesty involved and we could have seen that then the community wouldn't have been so harsh. Though seeing as how there was none, I suppose there is no way to know.

• Like 2

.... It just seems to me the toy show prototype is where the line was crossed. ....

The line was crossed a few months earlier when he thought he could get 2M$ with nothing to show and almost got away with it .... all the lines were crossed already in his head .... doesn't matter what "any Tom, Dick and Harry" he cares to mention said, did or didn't do.

He decided he will get to be funded no matter if he had nothing to show for it.

• Like 12

What if Steve Woita doesn't even know he was a partner and MK just name dropped to get support? Realistically if you have Steve Woita why would you need Mr. Lee? Why wouldn't you ask Steve Woita if he has anyone he would like to work on the project with....... I mean the dude has been doing this for like 30years........ I'm sure he has a solid network of people..........

Steve Wotia wasn't just name dropped. He did an interview about the RVGS with Mike and John last year.

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/09/27/rgm-interview-with-retro-vgs-team-unofficial-copy-from-audio-interview/#more-7169

• Like 1