IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I don't necessarily think they're crooks or criminals. But it looks that way because they are trying to apply common business philosophy to making money via retrogaming - which they don't know Shit from Shinola. The end result is a bunch of fumbling around and patchwork and promises of grandeur.

When your first move a month before "launch" is to create a new company with new partners in secret and move the physical and intellectual property to it that belongs to another company, yeah your a crook from the start.

• Like 8

I wanna take a crack at this...

They shot themselves in the feet, While hacking away at their feet using rare, low serial number axes (axes with cartridge connectors that could last 50 years and which came in various colors), before inserting said feet into mouths,...Which was difficult to do from under a bus....(From which most had been thrown)...A bus which was driving into a fire...Simple as that.

Got it.

• Like 1

I wanna take a crack at this...

They shot themselves in the feet, While hacking away at their feet using rare, low serial number axes (axes with cartridge connectors that could last 50 years and which came in various colors), before inserting said feet into mouths,...Which was difficult to do from under a bus....(From which most had been thrown)...A bus which was driving into a fire...Simple as that.

Got it.

I'm sorry, but I personally object to the phrasing of "They shot themselves in the foot". Shooting one's self in the foot is an expression that suggests the person undermined their own effort to succeed. The CC team never HAD a reasonable effort to succeed, as they never even put a prototype together, nor even solidified a design for what that prototype was to be. You're being too generous saying they sabotaged their own efforts when they never really made ANY effort to do anything beyond weasling their way into crowdfunding. Framing the events like this makes it seem like the CC was done in by a few bad decisions, rather than a train wreck from the get-go.

• Like 5

When your first move a month before "launch" is to create a new company with new partners in secret and move the physical and intellectual property to it that belongs to another company, yeah your a crook from the start.

Could not agree more, This is the MOTHER OF ALL RED FLAGS.

-Thom

• Like 3

You mean there's no way that would be casually/randomly/spontaneously happening under the umbrella that "he's a patsy" ... :-D

• Like 1

The less offensive way to wish someone ill is to say "I hope you get diarrhea and poop your pants in public." Nobody dies and nobody gets hurt, but everyone is entertained, except the guy with the poopy pants, unless he likes tainted trousers and enjoys finger painting on the walls or the floor with tooter pudding.

• Like 4

I think it's unlockable in Simpsons Hit and Run, a GameCube-era disc game. Also, someone built one: https://laughingsquid.com/the-homer-car-a-real-life-version-of-homer-simpsons-dream-car/

I have Simpson's Hit and Run. I got mostly through the game but the seventh stage was a huge PITA. I used to walk around as donut and/or underwear Homer. I should drag that game out again...

Huzzah!! I found the Retro VGS Club podcast!!!

It was actually easier than expected, just did a quick google search. The host had deleted the original source and his website but I guess it's not as easy to delete from Blubrry.

Enjoy! It's a neat little time capsule from an era when a lot of people believed Mike was the guy who could pull this off.

https://www.blubrry.com/retrovgsclub/2863791/retro-vgs-club-podcast-episode-1/#autoplay

• Like 10

Huzzah!! I found the Retro VGS Club podcast!!!

Hahaha ... well done, nice detective work! Nothing ever fully disappears on the internet!

<EDIT>

OK, I had to give up after 20 minutes, it was just incredibly boring to try listen to.

The "guest" did try to raise the occasional concerns and warnings, but the "host" was such a blind-believer that he kept on giving excuses and papering over the cracks.

Sad to see that someone can be so gullible, and it's easy to understand why he wanted to make make it all disappear.

Edited by elmer
  • Like 7

Now we just have to find that original shillcast with Mike and Shillster 81.

I know that someone does have a complete copy of it. But I'll let that person bring it forward when they're ready.

I just have part of the ending since that's the only part I needed for a video at that time.

• Like 3

Shillster81 ? Uh oh , what did I miss out on ? And yes I know he is referring to Gamester81 :-D

A review/endorsement based on vaporware/pat-in-the-back/we-re-all-bedfellows kind of a YT video, I think he "forgot" to mention he had a horse in that race too.

And then an "apology" YT video in which he stated something around that being just videogames so "KS/IGG 2M$ to Mike shouldn't have been such an issue anyway" (my words not his) as opposed to starving-kids/wars or some other stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopid comparison he came up with.

Me personally I couldn't get past his nose, that Cyrano-worthy thing is so distracting I can't focus on anything else, but that's just me being silly, superficial and with very limited brain power.

• Like 2

Well, the apology/not an apology video is still around. :D

The original podcast with Mike is quite amusing. Mike (and Gamester) talks about how toxic these here forums are, how everyone online is a "hater," how he identifies with the character in Tiny Knight (available from CollectorVision games, of course, but not noted in the podcast that Tiny Knight is the pack in game, and they therefore have a stake in the RetroVGS' success) because he feels like he has to slay dragons, but he had no idea how many dragons (aka people who can think critically) there would be, name drops several companies who have "interest" in producing games "for this thing," etc., etc. ad nauseum. Stop, Drop and Retro posted a couple minutes of it in one of his videos, but the whole thing was quite the deal. Gamester took it down after he was rightfully called out about shilling for something with absolutely no critical thought and, particularly, no disclosure of his company's interest in the console's success.

What is hilarious is Gamester being all in on the "hey, we have a UI but not a lot else to show" Retroblox / Polywhatever/ latest attempt to cash in on retro gamers. Some people just don't learn. "Give it a chance, guys."

• Like 5

What is hilarious is Gamester being all in on the "hey, we have a UI but not a lot else to show" Retroblox / Polywhatever/ latest attempt to cash in on retro gamers. Some people just don't learn. "Give it a chance, guys."

To quote Pat, Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times..... FUCK YOU!

The paralelisms between Retroblox/Polymega and RVGS/Chameleon are astounding. The fact Gamester81 just shilling out for these new guys on the block all over again like it's the best thing since sliced bread, just proves he isn't llearning from past mistakes.

I don't think Polymega will fail as spectacularly as Chameleon did, but it will fail. Not all failures are nuclear meltdown defcon 1 emergencies. :P

The funniest part is that when he revealed his support of the whole Retroblox thing, he said he had already been in private contact with that team for a certain amount of time. If correct, it would mean that Gamester81 apologized for the being so gullible in the Chameleon fiasco and then immediately got roped into Retroblox's incredibly far fetched claims, like not even a month later.

• Like 5

I can forgive Gamester81's involvement in this circus because I have always got more of a gullible and too trusting vibe from him than the others. In other words, the others seemed more like deceivers while he just seemed deceived. I also didn't take too much issue with his starving kids/ISIS comparison because I didn't take it as a logical fallacy like,"There are worse things going on in the world than this. So, this isn't an issue." I took it more like,"Tone down the negativity directed towards me because you are putting it at a volume more appropriate for things like starving children and ISIS." Besides, my drunken hatred has its limits with 99% being directed to Mike Kennedy with the other 11% directed to those more closely involved than Gamester81. At the most if there was a drunken hater bar fight I would have broken chairs and bottles over the others but by the time I got to Gamester81 he would have just got a slap with a glove.

• Like 2