IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

So far:

Macinosh (OS Classic):

Donkey Doo (30 minutes)

Lemmings (180 minutes)

Spin Doctor (40 minutes)

Stunt Copter (190 minutes)

Train Engineer (720 minutes)

Where...World is Carmen Sandiego (760 minutes

Homeschool for the boy this week. Beat Carmen Sandiego. :D

We have been killin it on Train Engineer... Have beat almost all the sample scenarios and have built "BuckTown" into a bustling metroplex, alive with sound, color, and activity. So underrated.

Stunt Copter,... What can I say, maybe the most surprisingly fun game we have played on our Macintosh journey yet. Drop a guy out of a helicopter, through clouds, and have him bounce off a stack of hay in a wagon. Sounds prettt bland and tedious. It is neither of those things... Sometimes games can have a particular set of mechanics or sounds or physics (in this case) gravity that make them absolutely addictive game-crack... This one is up there for me. :D

I also have been trying to get Wolfenstein 3d working on OS9. IMO, it was the best version out there... The audio was better, crispness of polygon handling.... Just exceptional, to be honest.

If you ever get a chance to use mini vMac to emulate OS6, make sure to use the 1x speed option, or excellent games like Stunt Copter and Donkey Doo are beyond unplayable.

• Like 7

Sord M5:

Dragon Attack - 3 min.

So I went as an exhibitor to another retro gaming event, this time by train. On the way there, the train got delayed by a total of 95 minutes so I arrived in the middle of the night instead of very late in the evening. The play time mainly consisted of testing that the only system I brought for display (the rest were items for sale and free postcards). Unfortunately I realized my CGL M5 is either outputting a too weak composite video signal or slightly out of sync, so the LCD monitor I brought, which otherwise is great at displaying both PAL and NTSC signals, only displayed this one in B&W. Rookie mistake, although I didn't have many options on what to bring.

Rest of the week, I didn't have any time for gaming. However during the retro gaming event, my lack of Nintendo games for sale (I only brought one Famicom, two SNES and one N64 titles, which half of them got sold) meant far fewer visitors at my table than most other vendors. It gave me time to bring out my laptop and keep programming on a new VIC-20 game. I made some progress, although testing at this stage obviously would not count as play time.

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (August 29th through September 4th)...

Atari 2600:

Strip off! - 3 min.

Facebook (non-eligible):

Solitaire Racer - 8 min. in 2 sessions

Odyssey^2:

Turtles - 116 min. in 5 sessions

PC (non-eligible):

Circuit Chung - 12 min.

Freebasic Karts - 16 min.

Pitstop 2000 - 3 min.

Racesii - 7 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Global Player - 2 min.

Upgrade Complete - 56 min.

VG-5000:

Tortues - 90 min. in 3 sessions

This week I replayed the Odyssey^2 version of "Turtles" until I had completed all 8 floors. Then I tried the VG-5000 port "Tortues" (which is "Turtles" in French). Here the turtles have turned to water turtles and the enemies to fishes which actually move around a bit like fishes in swarms. This version is actually much harder than the Odyssey^2 version. Although the fishes are only moving at half the player's speed, there's always 5 of them which always somewhat follow you and all start out at the same spot on the maze, and the maze layout is more complicated, having many open spaces and dead ends which often leads to situations where you can't very well dodge the swarm of fish. This is a rather frustrating version, and I never got past the 4th level (you can't really call it floor here).

The second big topic this week were FreeBasic games. FreeBasic is a free BASIC compiler which is very much compatible with QBasic, but offers many advanced features. For instance, I could throw a function originally written in MS Access 97 VBA at it, and it compiled after changing just two lines. FreeBasic also supports some advanced constructs which are unavailable in VB5 such as initializing variables right on dimensioning them and initializing arrays in one line.

Well, I downloaded some games coded in FreeBasic with variable quality (all listed under "PC"). Actually, I don't know what the minimum configuration for each of those would be... they might run under DOS or Win '95, but then again they might not, depends on what libraries they are calling. "Circuit Chung" and "Freebasic Karts" are 3D racing games which look fairly advanced, while Pitstop2000 and Racesii are pseudo-3D racing games. Pitstop2000 especially intrigued me because it comes with the source code, and I found several things which could be improved. After looking into the code (similar to hacking Pole Position for the Atari 2600 some time ago), I managed to come up with several improvements, but I haven't published them so far because I don't know what the original author would think of that.

Other than that, I briefly played "Strip off" for the Atari 2600 which I rediscovered on my search for an old online game called "Amok!" which was similar to Berzerk, but I can't find amymore. I also briefly played "Global player", but failed on the 2nd round and decided not to continue playing. Then I played through "Upgrade complete 3" which I think I already played the 1st part of. It makes some fun of in-game advertisements and DLC. Finally, there were two sessions of "Solitaire Racer" where you get awarded with NeuCoins for playing (only 0.2 cents worth of coins per completed deck, however). Sadly, that currency doesn't seem to be very stable... it has fallen considerably in the last weeks.

• Like 4

3 min. of Dragon Attack? That's funny... there's a Queen song called "Dragon Attack" which runs over 4 min. ;-) I know that because I've followed a countdown of Queen songs on local radio station 88.6 today. They let listeners vote the top 50 out of a list of 62 Queen and Freddie Mercury songs (because Freddie Mercury would have become 75 years old tomorrow). "Dragon Attack" was in the list to be voted on, but didn't make the cut. ;-)

Sord M5:

Dragon Attack - 3 min.

• Like 6

Just a little bit of Genesis.

Sega Genesis:

Earthworm Jim - 30 minutes

Splatterhouse 2 - 30 minutes

So yeah, school and weekend work and all that good stuff came back so I'm going to lose a bit of time to play games. I spent most of my free time playing Elite: Dangerous with three friends, but I got some Genesis in yesterday. Earthworm Jim is always silly but I suck at it, and Splatterhouse 2 I just love. So that's all.

• Like 6

I was busy building new homebrew game cartridges this weekend for the TI-99/4A, so the boys and I got to do a lot of validation testing by playing each of the new cartridges for a good long while. It was a nice way to combine work and pleasure, as now I am 10% sure that each cartridge is fully functional--and the boys had a blast helping to do some of the testing for me too.

TI-99/4A

Snake Plissken: 300 minutes

• Like 6

If this gets in under the wire...

Macintosh (OS Classic):

Lemmings (additional 90 minutes)

Train Engineer (additional 60 minutes)

Carmen Sandiego (additional 120 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Tunnels of Doom (40 minutes)

Snake Plissken (40 minutes)

VCS:

Oink! (30 minutes)

That's all folks!!

:)

• Like 6

Though my household didn't have a whole lot in the way of tracker eligible play time, this week did mark the most time that I have ever devoted to playing a single game in a week since I started participating in the tracker. :)

xqcDWJL.jpg

Ineligible

Clubhouse Games (Nintendo DS) - 29 minutes

Connect Four / Perfection / Trouble (Game Boy Advance, Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 119 minutes

Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) - 77 minutes
Mazes of Fate (Game Boy Advance) - 1,407 minutes
Need for Speed Underground 2 (Game Boy Advance) - 38 minutes

Orcs & Elves (Nintendo DS) - 217 minutes
Sorry! / Aggravation / Scrabble Junior (Game Boy Advance, Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 143 minutes

Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo Wii) - 57 minutes

Game Boy
Paperboy - 10 minutes

PlayStation
Crash Bandicoot - 36 minutes
Dino Crisis 2 - 75 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
2,208 minutes (36 hours 48 minutes) [121 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Game Boy Advance: 1,707 minutes

Nintendo DS: 323 minutes

PlayStation: 111 minutes

Nintendo Wii: 57 minutes

Game Boy: 10 minutes

I'll be keeping this week's post fairly short since there wasn't much in the way of tracker eligible gaming done in my household this week. What I will say though is that after playing through the whole game beginning to end this week (which took a grand total of nearly 24 hours), Mazes of Fate for the Game Boy Advance has definitely become my new all time favorite RPG! I'm not much of a fan of Japanese RPGs, but I do get into western style first-person dungeon crawling RPGs now and then and I can safely say that Mazes of Fate was the best that I've ever played in the genre. The visual styling and music were both beautiful, the pacing of the gameplay felt just right without too much or too little hand holding, and I liked the characters so much that I actually felt sad when the story was over. I don't get that feeling from video games too often, but this one... man, I'm really going to have to play it again at some point. Fortunately the branching paths that you can take in the game do vary depending on the decisions you make along the way, so there will definitely be some replay value to be had from it. Anyone who likes old school Eye of the Beholder style first-person dungeon crawlers and owns a Game Boy Advance or DS Lite should absolutely check out Mazes of Fate for the GBA, it's a really phenomenal game all around. Apparently the DS remake wasn't too great, but the original GBA version is just outstanding.

I also continued testing board game adaptations for the GBA this week as part of the recommended games list project that I've been working on for the system, and ended up getting a few fairly casual and relaxing DS games in while I was laid out with a tooth infection for a few days plus a couple games of Paperboy on the Game Boy; just so I'd have a little tracker eligible time for the week. I did decide to finally check out Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii last night as well, since I've had it sitting in my Wii library for months and hadn't played it yet, and so far I'm really impressed with it. On my wife's gaming front she ended up beating Crash Bandicoot early on in the week, then played around in Dino Crisis 2 a bit more with the infinite ammo that she unlocked from her previous play through while trying to figure out what to play next. After watching me play Mazes of Fate for a bit and thinking that it looked like fun I recommended she check out (the also outstanding) Orcs & Elves for the DS, so she decided to give it a try and has spent the last couple days since then playing it in her free time. I'm pretty sure that Orcs & Elves is the first western style first-person RPG she's ever played, but she seems to be really getting into the story and having a lot of fun with it so I'm very happy that I could share it with her.

That's about it for this week! It's been all tracker ineligible dungeon crawlers aplenty around here this week, but hopefully next week I'll have a bit more tracker eligible time to share... if I don't get too sucked into Super Mario Galaxy that is. :lol:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 36, running from August 29 - September 4. We logged 4905 minutes of eligible play, playing 32 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (Mac OS Classic) - 880

2. Train Engineer (Mac OS Classic) - 780

3. Smurfs 2: Smurfs Travel the World (Genesis) - 604

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 572

5. Stampede (Atari 2600) - 350

6. Snake Plissken (TI-99/4A) - 340

7. Lemmings (Mac OS Classic) - 270

8. Stunt Copter (Mac OS Classic) - 190

9. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES/Famicom) - 180

10. Turtles (Odyssey^2) - 116

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 572

2. Stampede (Atari 2600) - 350

3. Snake Plissken (TI-99/4A) - 340

4. Turtles (Odyssey^2) - 116

5. Tortues (VG-5000) - 90

6. Atlantis (Atari 2600) - 80

7. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 40

8. Oink! (Atari 2600) - 30

9. Moguchan (Arcade) - 25

9. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 25

Top 10 systems:

1. Mac OS Classic (2190)

2. Atari 2600 (1117)

3. Genesis (664)

4. TI-99/4A (380)

5. NES/Famicom (197)

6. Odyssey^2 (116)

7. PlayStation (111)

8. VG-5000 (90)

9. Arcade (25)

10. Game Boy (10)

Where is she? At the top of our tracker, as perpetual fugitive Carmen Sandiego leads the Mac OS Classic platform to a double win (and a second consecutive week at #1 for the Mac).

Meanwhile, Kaboom may be #4 on the main list, but takes #1 on the pre-NES chart. Along with Stampede, that yields a #2 finish for the Atari.

Finally, it's rather tidy that the top 3 games this week also join the 1000-minute club together in spots #233-235, with 1020, 1620, and 1134 minutes respectively logged to date.

• Like 7

I would look for Carmen in the Smurf village!

Hey, good point -- our top 3 games are all about traveling! (The Smurfs game and its ports are variously known as Smurfs 2, Smurfs Around the World, or Smurfs Travel the World, depending whom you ask.)

EDIT: Actually it looks like the Mega Drive game does call itself Smurfs Travel the World on the label art (the title screen just says Smurfs 2), so I'll update it!

• Like 6

Again not a lot worth mentioning this week.

Atari 2600:

Beamrider: 10 min

Crash Dive: 12 min

Played Beamrider just for fun after the Activision Patches Summer Quest was over. Still too bad at it to get a patch. Played a few rounds of Crash Dive to have at least a "not-totally-pathetic" participation score in the last round of the High Score Club. Medal Finals for the top 24 players will begin soon.

• Like 6

Eh, I've got too many projects going on right now so I doubt I'll be getting more time - here's what I've got:

Arcade:

Ghosts 'n Goblins - 70 mintues

Space Gun - 20 minutes

Atari 2600:

E.T. - 10 minutes

Video Olympics - 15 minutes

Atari 8-bit:

Moon Patrol - 30 minutes

TI-99:

Parsec - 30 minutes

Tunnels of Doom - 30 minutes

So yeah, I got a bit of stuff in but not a ton. With school and work being a thing, apart from downtime or testing consoles at work I don't get to do much gaming. I am pretty happy though, the arcade cabinet project is going along fine - we got the sides cut out, and we got another 3/4" sheet of MDF the other day to do the front and back too - it'll just need a basic frame (Got 2x4s and some Caster Wheels for all that) and then a paintjob, decals, and then we just have to put the buttons and sticks and PCs and boards in it. So yeah, I'm really excited for that - it should be a nice all-in-one multicade/emulation box.

Now onto the actual gameplay. I started the week with some 2600 as I moved it to yet another new TV, so I tested the TV to see if it would take the 2600 (which it did) and that was good. The arcade stuff got played a bit as I needed something quick to play, and yeah I always like my arcade games - I think I just spent a bit more time than "quick" on GnG, but whatever I like that game so I don't care. Finally, the other day I saw a thread in the '99 section asking if the TI was a money sink or whatever, so after making a post I decided to pull it (and the 600XL for some reason) out to play. I like both those systems, but I have crap nothing for A8 games and the TI I have trouble with the stick because it's all dirty and stuff (I will clean that sometime here) and the chiclet keyboard isn't the best. So yeah, that was my week for games. Not a ton, but enough that I'm happy with what I got.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 6