IGNORED

Missing Arcade-Classics on the 7800

Mister-VCS

My Retrobit NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA clone setup is native hardware running on SOACs, not software emulation, so it is limited to stadard definition anaog output. SNES and Genesis are almost perfect despite some relatively minor audio and graphical artifacts on the NES side affecting only a tiny minority of games. It also runs GB via the official Super Gameboy peripheral. Retrofreak/Retron5 can dump the smaller 32Mbyte GBA video carts but not the larger full length movie carts as they use an unknown bankswitch scheme and nobody cares enough to attempt to dump or emulate them. People inquiring on GBATemp or wherever regarding getting clean dumps of these three oversized movie carts would simply be instructed to torrent the original movies or buy the DVD.

DVDs are fairly adequate and yield good picture on most HDTVs through HDMI using an upscaling DVD or BluRay player, even if the image is a bit softer than BluRay. DVDs are by no means unwatchable, and I often question whether a title is worth repurchasing just for the HD upgrade. VCDs are another story though. I've burned ISO bootlegs in the past of certain content that was either heavily censored on release or was never made available to the public. Some were clearly mastered from VHS promotional copies as often evident by horizontal distortion along the upper boundary of the video frame. The 240p video content with heavy artifacting is borderline unwatchable nowadays, much like FMV material on early 4th-5th gen CDROM games like Sega CD, Turbo CD, 3DO, CDi, Jag CD, Saturn, and PS1. PS1 and Saturn were better quality than the former platforms largely due to a faster CPU and more efficient compression algorithms, but overall scenes were hardly ever above VCD quality and often much worse. 90s FMV heavy CD games definitely did not age well and are one reason why I still prefer the cart systems over CD peripherals. Also chiptune sountracks are more nostalgic for me than random BGM CD tracks which clashed with the synthesized or low-sample sound effects often used in CD titles.

Oh no way, the actually bothered with programming a chip instead of just using an Arduino or other off the shelf product, that is more work but better results. Seen some of that in Kevtris's work on NES, large portions of hardware replaced with replicated technology. Hah I love that, torrent or buy a DVD instead, well KISS I guess. ^_^

Nintendo had a lot of varying cartridge types over the years where supporting all of them is a real chore in clone engineering EGs. all those mapper variations on the NES or the Super FX 1&2 chips on SNES. Also the pirate carts are there own special headache too.

Yeah DVDs are watchable which is why I site it as getting it right finally with optical disc movies, I tried lots of things before that like Video CDs(saw a demo), screwing around with my ATI-All-in-Wonder, and even bought a couple Movie CDs bitd.

http://www.hometoys.com/article/2006/10/classic-home-toysinstallment-6what-in-the-world-was-the-sirius-movie-cd/784/

None of it was any good so DVDs were a welcome change except for all the excessive menu transition animation they don't use any more. A lot of the Video CDs I've picked up are Chinese bootlegs and although the cases look slick most of them are just bad VHS rips rather than captured from a film source, yeah I saw a film rating board mark from a country I'd never heard of on one Video CD I saw in thrift. Most of my small Blu-Ray collection is second hand copies in decent shape since the format is still too expensive even after being around so long, for example with Walking Dead I like the show but didn't feel like shelling out 10-15$ more per season.

Looking into game related FMV none of the modern codecs work with the slower bandwidths but we do know more about it collectively in hindsight so I think its something that could be done better with a second run of development of homebrew. As a Sega CD fan I've wanted to have a go at making a good FMV game that wasn't pure garbage IE. Digital Pictures. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to list couple of fun games that never got any console love.

Anteater

Oil's Well under the ColecoVision is extremely similar, if interested. :)

The Atari 8-bit computers have a port of Oil's Well; which if one was to include the XEGS as a console, it would be applicable too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy8qIv04gbM

It was converted to the 5200 as well.

• Like 1

I would like to have a go at designing graphics for some shooter games - but I haven't a programmer to hook up with. Like to do something better than Sirius / Plutos. To have a go anyway.

I'm no programmer - just a graphics guy who like to play around with the pixels/graphics side of stuff. I don't have a 7800 as such and would rely on 7800 emulation.

Harvey

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 1/11/2016 at 5:32 PM, PAC-MAN-RED said:

Pengo! :D

post-26314-0-25294600-1452551298_thumb.png

I guess I am a few years behind catching this one.

On 1/11/2016 at 10:30 PM, MobiusAqua said:

I was just thinking about this, too! I thought about a version that let you choose between "Popcorn" and whatever the other version's background music was called, among other things. Like a mix of the two most common game revisions, changeable in bits and pieces from an Options menu. And with PAC-MAN-RED's graphics, anyone who codes this is gonna have an epic-looking game. :thumbsup:

Also kind of funny

On 1/11/2016 at 11:11 PM, PAC-MAN-RED said:

I too had an idea where a story mode could be implemented along with the regular arcade mode. ;)

post-26314-0-83243200-1452571619_thumb.png

Nice title. Again, I am just finding this. Of course, I had to use Penta (Go) for copyright reasons.

I just saw this, revisiting the "Games you wish had come out" thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I guess I am a few years behind catching this one.

In any case, it would have been a different project than yours, since he converted sprites that are 8 pixel wide and your sprites are 12 pixel wide. Using 8 pixel wide sprites you get less detail but you can have a wider playing field with more tiles, but I think this solution needs some more cycles. In the end, I think I too would have used 12 pixel wide sprites.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Old topic but, yeah, No Missile Command?

Could the center silo be fired by pressing both buttons at the same time?

I think the 7800 could have easily had three buttons if they didn't use the painline and the fire button wasn't wired to the two pot lines like it was. I get it was done for 2600 compatibility, but the Fire button could have easily been button C...

A - Pin 5 with Pullup

B - Pin 9 with Pullup

C - Pin 6