IGNORED

Missing Arcade-Classics on the 7800

Mister-VCS

The first rule of 7800 Club is you DO NOT SUGGEST NES GAMES.

:grin:

Wait... I thought the first rule of 7800 Club was "never talk about 7800 Club"? :rolling:

I've thought of a few, but I've also thought about them from a technical standpoint.

Like... Mad Planets, for example. I'm not exactly sure how many sound channels the arcade has, but it'd be interesting to see if the TIA could pull at least some of those sounds off. If not, then the POKEY could have a field day, and the explosion sounds probably wouldn't cut off the background music, either.

And I was starting to think about Ice Climber, too... *hides in a corner, cringing* :D But then again, maybe there's some trick to smooth vertical scrolling with 7800Basic... I thought about turning everything into sprites, line by line (turning an entire line into sprites, sliding them up or down one pixel, or something involving WSYNC), but that'd probably choke either SALLY or MARIA...

Gyruss can come incredibly close to sounding arcade perfect, with a six-part harmony (all of the POKEY's and TIA's channels working together), but I wonder how well the YM2151 can do square waves? And with the graphics PAC-MAN-RED drew up in the "Gyruss for the 7800" thread, it could look positively epic.

And a part of Mr. Do would be epic, too. (That was an unintentional rhyme. :D) We could see how far we can push 320C mode to its limits, or just use 320A and layer sprites, ColecoVision style! One of my curiosities about the 7800, is how far someone can push MARIA, using its 320 modes, particularly 320A and 320C. I mean, Prickle uses 320A, but that's just text (using plotchars, rather than plotsprite). The fun part will be trying with graphic sprites.

But besides sports, how about RPGs? I vote... Tower of Druaga!! :rolling: Hopefully the Sharp X68000 port (which also uses a YM2151) didn't prove that that's the only way it could sound... how about something that, if not arcade perfect, sounds like the PC Engine version?

• Like 2

I know this thread is about arcade games, but it occurs to me that the 7800 needs some good sports games.

Perhaps adaptations of RBI Baseball and 10 Yard Fight?

10 Yard Fight is an arcade game! I always enjoyed it. Not a lot of fans of the game but I think it's pretty fun.

I always thought Venture should have had a proper sequel - more randomness, different rooms, different treasures and weapons, etc. IMHO Venture 2 should be on the 7800.

I'd mostly like to see games that weren't on tons of other systems. With that in mind +1 to Tron:TAG and Zookeeper

• Like 2

I always thought Venture should have had a proper sequel - more randomness, different rooms, different treasures and weapons, etc. IMHO Venture 2 should be on the 7800.

You may enjoy Alcazar: The Forgotten Fortress by Activision. Here's a vid of the ColecoVision version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PYnjEDAQg

Sort of a cross between having Venture and a ('lite') Zelda-ish game. An Alcazar sequel on the 7800 would be very cool.

• Like 1

Like... Mad Planets, for example. I'm not exactly sure how many sound channels the arcade has, but it'd be interesting to see if the TIA could pull at least some of those sounds off. If not, then the POKEY could have a field day, and the explosion sounds probably wouldn't cut off the background music, either.

More importantly, what controls can be used to pull this game off?

MadPlanets_CP_Restoration_Main.jpg

More importantly, what controls can be used to pull this game off?

MadPlanets_CP_Restoration_Main.jpg

It would certainly need a custom controller, or a way to utilize two controllers. Frankly, I don't see it working either way. Custom controller would make the game too expensive, and the other solution would be too unwieldly.

It would certainly need a custom controller, or a way to utilize two controllers. Frankly, I don't see it working either way. Custom controller would make the game too expensive, and the other solution would be too unwieldly.

If a custom controller were made, it could also be used for Tron.

• Like 3

If a custom controller were made, it could also be used for Tron.

Of course, it could also open up a whole slew of original homebrews as well. As far as I can see it, all it needs to be is a mashup of the pain line controller with a driving controller. Hmmmm. It may be more of a boon and less expensive than I thought, Too bad I'm pretty worthless when it comes to designing and building hardware, let alone programming software.

I want to echo the sentiment for Mr. Do! (sorry, Phil!)...the 8-bit version is really, really good, so I'd love to see what the 7800 could do with it.

Also needed:

- Millipede with trackball support

- Gorf (complete with heckling speech, of course!)

- Tinkle Pit

- and while we're at it, why not Stratavox? Yeah, the graphics suck on that game, but it is a fun challenge.

- Donkey Kong with that one screen with that factory that produces...oh, what do people commonly refer to that screen as again?? :)

- Given how great Berzerk and Frenzy turned out, it'd be interesting to see it go one more step with Lost Tomb. This'd be especially great for the EdLaddin SuperTwin.

- I have a feeling that Tapper would be awesome, especially with POKEY sound. Ditto Timber. (I like that game more than most people do!)

- I'd love to see a truly great version of Paperboy. To this day I've never seen a version -- including the arcade -- that's better than on the Commodore 64.

- Archrivals! would probably be cool, maybe even perhaps hacking it from Basketbrawl

• Like 3

I know. I was just trying to make a funny.

personally, I'd rather see Blades of Steel or some kind of dumbed down Madden '88 or something.

Oh no, I got it. I had a chuckle, it's just my need to correct people.

It's a curse.

Actually, I'd love to see a port of the classic Atari arcade football, trackball and all. Classic arcade mode in B&W, and an enhanced mode.... I don't like football in real or in video games for the most part, but I enjoyed this one.

• Like 2

I would love to see Atari Football on a home console, especially with a 1-player variation. (My wife doesn't do video games. At all.) I played Atari Football at Underground Retrocade against Scott's younger son; it really is a fun game.

• Like 2

Already done 2600 spy hunter in a 7800 sounds like chit.

Ha! Hadn't thought of that, fair enough, it is of course the same difference. TIA is TIA so I guess unlike the graphics, there isn't much you could do to improve the sound.

Would still like Spyhunter 7800!

Edited by GoldenWheels
  • Like 1