IGNORED

WIP: Ants

Now that I know how to barely program Jaguar stuff, I've decided to make a new thread about the game I'm making. I'll post here when I have questions.

Right now, if you press B on the title screen, the ant will walk out of the frame and you get a picture of a tabletop. This will be where the action takes place. There will be ants on the table for you to squish. The goal of the game is to not get stung by the bees. Yes, not only do you have an ant infestation, someone left the window open and bees flew into it. They will periodically come in from time to time to try and sting your finger.

Displaying the table took a few hours to do. Man this is hard.

Get the latest Jaguar file here:

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/antsss.abs

post-9475-0-45308400-1452829334_thumb.png

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 4

Man this is hard.

It only seems that way because it's a new thing - stick at it and it'll become second nature to grab an image, get it on screen, moving, animating etc.

In many ways you have to 'unlearn' all your old conceptions about BASIC when interfacing with RAPTOR, but the rewards are 60fps action! Looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 4

Now that I know how to barely program Jaguar stuff, I've decided to make a new thread about the game I'm making. I'll post here when I have questions.

Right now, if you press B on the title screen, the ant will walk out of the frame and you get a picture of a tabletop. This will be where the action takes place. There will be ants on the table for you to squish. The goal of the game is to not get stung by the bees. Yes, not only do you have an ant infestation, someone left the window open and bees flew into it. They will periodically come in from time to time to try and sting your finger.

Displaying the table took a few hours to do. Man this is hard.

Get the latest Jaguar file here:

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/antsss.abs

im sure you can get a better table picture to show on screen, that one is rather sub par, just saying :P

loaded into paint shop pro

converted to 24 bit (this is the same as 16 bit apart from the amount of colours)

applied the soften more filter

mew image has 1005 colours and looks a bit better

slightly resized the image (images for use in the raptor engine need to be de visible by 16 in width

see attached

used my object list editor to create the object list and dim list for the object and asset line entry

table.rar

The Jaguar can handle images with 1,005 colors? Wow. Here's a better table image, then.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/table2.zip

1,2,4 bit CLUTs use 16 colour sub-CLUTs of the main 256 colour CLUT.

8 bit uses the entire CLUT

16 bit does not need a CLUT

1 bit = 2 colours (CLUT 0-15 - only first 2 entries of the sub-CLUT used)

2 bit = 4 colours (CLUT 0-15 - only first 4 entries of the sub-CLUT used)

4 bit = 16 colours (CLUT 0-15 - all 16 entries of the sub-CLUT used)

8 bit = 256 colours (CLUT 0 - uses the entire 256 CLUT entries)

16 bit = 65536 colours (No CLUT)

24 bit = too much ram, too slow, much useless.

From the manual:

CLUT Colour Look-Up Table F00400-7FE RW
The colour look-up table translates an eight bit colour index into a 16-bit physical colour (CRY or 16-bit RGB). The eight bit index comes from the object data, which may be 1,2,4 or 8 bits. In order to achieve a high throughput there are two tables allowing two pixels at a time to be written into the line buffer. There are 256 16-bit entries in each table. Locations in the range F00400-5FE read from table A. Addresses in the range F00600-7FE read from table B. Writing to either address range writes to both tables.
LBUF
Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 5

I got the table to appear on the screen, but I can't get anything else on it. I tried making the table opaque and transparent and neither will display the text. What is going on here?

If you want the text to appear on top of the table sprite then you must make sure the table object comes before the particle object in your rapinit.s file (object list).

The order of the objects in that list is important. Think of them being layered on top of each other. The first object is at the bottom and the last object is displayed on the top.

So you must have 1. Table. 2. Particle layer

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 2

you need to upload your entire project, to provide definative help one needs to see your object list etc

if you want text to appear it needs to be at the bottom of your object list after everything

any ant objects need to be after the table but before the text object,

this will place the ants on the table then the text will be able to write over everything else

Why won't this work?

ant2_ypos=int(RND*160)

What I would like to do is make the ant sprite be a random number between 60-160, but I can't even make it a random number between 0-160.

try changing this to ant2_ypos=(int(RND*160) << 16)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't work. It gives me an error message.

OK, you need to be more verbose for anyone to help you.

Please post your code around the error lines, and also the error that is thrown: 'This doesn't work' really doesn't help anyone, especially yourself.