IGNORED

why does the atari 5200 get hated on?

atari2800man

The 5200 was a system that I got into after the fact. I never grew up with it in a small town. My days with Atari growing up were the Atari 800XL, 2600, and the 7800. All were played at friends and families houses. I was introduced to the 5200 in the late 80s, early 90s. It was a yard sale find for $40 with games. I have many thoughts on the system, coming from the perspective of a collector and gamer.

1. The 5200 was a terrible follow up to the successful Atari 2600 as some others have commented. Bypassing the controller, the system had its strengths, and some good games. It did have terrible bulky design, and having atari go with the non centering keyboard controllers was a mistake.

2. The RF only was not an issue with me, as I always have had a nice clean signal with my two port. The 4-port however, is a fire hazard with its sparks and weird hookup. Terrible design.

3. The shortcomings of the 5200 are enhanced with having an alternative way of playing the majority of the consoles games. I feel the Atari 8 bit computer line was nearly better in every aspect of what the 5200 offered. While a handful of games were not offered, the trade off with having a metric ton of other games offered as well as standard controller support made this the way to go.

4. The identity of the system has continued to be fuzzy over time, being overshadowed by other successful Atari systems. On its own, I feel that the 5200 is a solid retro system to collect, if you can overcome some of the systems shortcomings.

• Like 1

1. The 5200 was a terrible follow up to the successful Atari 2600 as some others have commented. Bypassing the controller, the system had its strengths, and some good games. It did have terrible bulky design, and having atari go with the non centering keyboard controllers was a mistake.

I guess we'll agree to disagree as I don't agree with that statement at all. The controllers could have been better, but the bottom line is that the majority of the games were superior to the 2600 releases.

• Like 2

I tried the Atari 5200 a few years ago. I didn't like it. The console is too bulky with a lot of wasted, unnecessary compartment space. The cartridges are bulky, too. (Not that it's a huge issue for me because I'm a CIB guy, and the 5200 boxes are no bigger than those of any other system.) And I think I'm the only one who feels this way, but...something about the graphics...they're just....dim. I don't know how else to describe it...but whenever I'd play a 5200 game -- either on the real thing or in an emulator -- I'd wish there were a brightness control.

And, of course, the controller. It requires frequent (but very doable) repairs, and...well....just plain sucks. The orientation of the fire buttons is terrible, and the controller is awkward to hold. The analog non-centering issue actually works well with, say, Centipede and The Dreadnaught Factor, but on most games it's a huge hindrance -- especially Pac-Man. I did eventually get a Wico Command Control joystick for the 5200, but TBH, even that was kind of a PITA...not a terribly sturdy controller, and it's difficult to calibrate.

I traded my 5200 for Inky's Atari 600XL (and immediately did the 64k upgrade hack), and I gotta say, for 5200-style gaming, I think I made the right choice.

I guess we'll agree to disagree as I don't agree with that statement at all. The controllers could have been better, but the bottom line is that the majority of the games were superior to the 2600 releases.

Just wanted to say that part of my statement had to do with the poor sales of the system(compared to the 2600), and limitation of games available to the console. While I agree that there were many upgrades to classic Atari games, I still personally would take a 2600 title using a standard 2600 controller over the 5200 with better graphics and a terrible controller. For me personally, the controller was the killer until I got a masterplay interface.

• Like 2

I am so tired of people complaining about sparks and "fire hazards". If they had simply followed the instructions in the manual, they would have attached the switch box to the tv, plugged the power cord into the box and THEN plugged the power supply into the wall. No spark.

The joysticks are a real issue. The supposed spark problem is non-sense.

post-24519-0-02234900-1458229568_thumb.png

• Like 8

Just wanted to say that part of my statement had to do with the poor sales of the system(compared to the 2600), and limitation of games available to the console. While I agree that there were many upgrades to classic Atari games, I still personally would take a 2600 title using a standard 2600 controller over the 5200 with better graphics and a terrible controller. For me personally, the controller was the killer until I got a masterplay interface.

That's why the 8-bit computers were best of both worlds: great looking versions of the games using the best controllers at the time. I also think the 8-bit cast a huge shadow over the 5200, which makes it feel like an also-ran.

• Like 1

The factory controllers are non issue if set up correctly with Best Electronics guts ,and the console is properly calibrated.. I have no problems with any of mine , though the re-learning curve and investment early on was substantial, so I can understand why many get frustrated..

If you cant live with the cx52, there is always the WICO for right handed players and the Comp Pro stick for ambi's , or the couple add ones to make your digi stick analog.

• Like 1

I am so tired of people complaining about sparks and "fire hazards". If they had simply followed the instructions in the manual, they would have attached the switch box to the tv, plugged the power cord into the box and THEN plugged the power supply into the wall. No spark.

The joysticks are a real issue. The supposed spark problem is non-sense.

attachicon.gif2016-03-17 10-43-29_82_Atari_5200_4_port.pdf.png

You have to remember, that many here got a system used, without a manual. Thanks for being such a refreshing breath of fresh air around here :)

I see the light, now. Ignore the defective controllers, potential for sparks, weird power supply/RF thing, massive size, etc. Once you get a digital controller adapter to play the games (even the ones designed for analog input), closely follow the steps in the manual for hooking everything up, etc., it's perfect.

But seriously, can't it be OK to like a system a great deal without having to wave off every negative thing about said system as "stupid end users" rather than "stupid company decisions"? You can acknowledge the flaws while still liking something a great deal. There's no law against that.

The original topic was "why does the atari 5200 get hated on?" and I think that was answered in spades with mostly undeniably legitimate reasons. I also agree that once you take some rather extraordinary steps that you don't have to take with most other systems, it does become a fantastic console. [in my own collection, I have several 5200's, including one with modified AV output, as well as a nice collection of significantly modified analog controllers that have fortunately thus far held up]

• Like 2

My point on the Spark is that it is hardly a reason to dislike a system. Good design or not, I don't know why people bring it up when discussing the pros/cons of the system. It's become a joke more than anything. Games, cost, controllers, reliability are what count.

My point on the Spark is that it is hardly a reason to dislike a system. Good design or not, I don't know why people bring it up when discussing the pros/cons of the system. It's become a joke more than anything. Games, cost, controllers, reliability are what count.

That is inherent to the design and reliability of the system, though. Let's face it, it shouldn't do that, period. Following a specific hook-up order really shouldn't be something your average consumer should ever be burdened with. It's like all the suggestions to "just get a Masterplay" (or equivalent). Sure, that's a possible option, but again, it's not something the average consumer should be burdened with. The stock controllers should just work better. In other words, the blame shouldn't be placed on those who are subjected to the flaws.

And yes, I agree that it would be great to focus on the positives about the platform. Let's just not pretend that the negatives are somehow non-issues, and instead leave them as what they are, negatives (or cons) to those positives. Pretending the issues don't exist or somehow have no impact as some on here seem to be suggesting serves no real purpose.

• Like 2

That is inherent to the design and reliability of the system, though. Let's face it, it shouldn't do that, period. Following a specific hook-up order really shouldn't be something your average consumer should ever be burdened with. It's like all the suggestions to "just get a Masterplay" (or equivalent). Sure, that's a possible option, but again, it's not something the average consumer should be burdened with. The stock controllers should just work better. In other words, the blame shouldn't be placed on those who are subjected to the flaws.

And yes, I agree that it would be great to focus on the positives about the platform. Let's just not pretend that the negatives are somehow non-issues, and instead leave them as what they are, negatives (or cons) to those positives. Pretending the issues don't exist or somehow have no impact as some on here seem to be suggesting serves no real purpose.

Does it affect reliability? Can someone point to one documented case of it causing a system to fail. Or how about it starting a fire. Your argument keeps trying to generalize my point into ignoring flaws or focusing on positives. That's not what i'm doing. I'm talking only about the spark. It irritates me that people always include it in their list of negative points. Unless it actually causes a negative outcome, then how is it a negative? Granted it's a poor design, but does it really impact the 5200 experience? Like I said, it's become more of a joke than a real issue.

• Like 1

Further processing the question, I think that there are two possible ways to look at the 5200. One way is the perceive the 5200 as the ill conceived sequel to one of the most classic gaming consoles of all time. Another way is is look at the 5200 on its own, as it is today, from more of a hobbyist perspective. I think that the 5200 today has alot of options that make it a better classic gaming machine. From the perspective of buying new when it came out, I feel that the system deserves alot of the negative feedback it was given. As a person who bought one used, for $40, I can safely say that the machine has been alot of fun and entertainment. As a follow up machine to the 2600, I can see how many were wanting something different.

• Like 3

Further processing the question, I think that there are two possible ways to look at the 5200. One way is the perceive the 5200 as the ill conceived sequel to one of the most classic gaming consoles of all time. Another way is is look at the 5200 on its own, as it is today, from more of a hobbyist perspective. I think that the 5200 today has alot of options that make it a better classic gaming machine. From the perspective of buying new when it came out, I feel that the system deserves alot of the negative feedback it was given. As a person who bought one used, for $40, I can safely say that the machine has been alot of fun and entertainment. As a follow up machine to the 2600, I can see how many were wanting something different.

Totally.

I for one never assumed the 5200 was supposed to be a continuation of the 2600. Instead I saw it for what it was -- a console that stands on its own. Backwards compatibility didn't make much sense back then anyway. After all, anyone who was into the Atari 2600 already had a 2600 by the time 1982 rolled around. Nothing was stopping people with the budget for it from using both consoles.

Again, throw a decent set of controllers on the 5200 and you're good.

P.S. I still maintain that had the 5200 been released a year earlier, it would have made much bigger inroads. And despite what's written in the history books about Atari's fear that they would be competing with themselves, I don't really think that would have been an issue. 2600s would have just taken up the low-cost bracket and the 5200 would be the deluxe system.

The joysticks are a real issue.

By the way, I had an Atari 5200 from 1983 to 1987. I invited friends often. Maybe I was lucky, but my father replaced once one controller because of the fire buttons. I think it was good technology for the time. We had a lot of fun.

Now, I have two controllers with Best Electronics gold inner parts, I love the controllers, I still have a lot of fun and they are maybe 33 years old! wow! One thing is missing though ... The trak-ball!

As others have stated, it's mostly the controllers. They're not ideally suited to the requirements of most of the games of the era and are incredibly fragile. I don't think it was a major factor, but it certainly didn't help that the Atari 5200 console in its original version was supersized with an unusual power/RF combo. I think the second biggest factor after the controllers though was a simple one, and that was the competition from the ColecoVision. While Atari was rehashing a lot of the same titles that were already ported to umpteen other systems either officially or as clones, the ColecoVision was receiving mostly fresh content.

As for today, while I personally like it, it does struggle to justify its existence when an Atari 8-bit computer has the same basic software (and a heck of a lot more) and none of the same niggling hardware issues or limitations.

You hit the nail on the head about the software library. Didn't they originally package it with Super Breakout???? Is it any wonder that people went for the Colecovision with DK rather than play a supposedly enhanced version of a truly dated game from the 70's but Atari always seemed to do this, shooting themselves in the foot each and every time they released a new system.

So far as the spark etc...am I the only one who looked at the drawbacks of the two port systems (compatibility issues with I believe three games, only two controller ports) and said "I can live with that to not have to deal with that set up with the four port"?

(and on the plus side, in theory, of the two port, you can use the 2600 adapter.)

Good grief. Unless your house is drenched floor to ceiling in gasoline and filled with fumes, the spark will not start a fire. The whole spark thing is quickly blowing up to "E.T. crashed the industry" proportions. It is not a legitimate complaint about the Atari 5200. Sorry.

A good policy with any kind of electronics is to make sure everything's connected (correctly) BEFORE connecting the power. Granted, the average consumer can't be counted on to know that, but experienced game collectors should know better. In my younger and dumber days I've gotten sparks connecting the power to my 2600 when I connected the brick to the outlet first and THEN to the console.

I still think the 5200 joystick was a good idea implemented poorly. They're very nice controllers when they work. Packing the system with Super Breakout was an inexplicable tactical error--especially when games like Defender were available--but doesn't denigrate the system itself. The lack of exclusive titles really hurt it (though Space Dungeon alone *almost* makes up for it, IMO), but the conversions of existing games were nevertheless excellent, and definite upgrades over the 2600 versions.

• Like 3

For me the wonky controllers themselves aren't the real problem. As mentioned, they can be fixed, the real issue I have with them is the same issue I have with the CV and Intellivision controllers - side mounted fire buttons. For me they are an ergonomic nightmare that cramps my hands badly. There was a dubious flirtation with reinventing the wheel in the 80's from something that worked well to something that you need to be a contortionist to hold properly and comfortably. I understand the placement of more buttons made changing the layout but when your primary gameplay buttons are placed on the side of the controllers you're forcing the player to interact and play their games in an unnatural way. For me it's a deal breaker. Thank goodness there are some modern solutions. For example I probably wouldn't own a Colecovision unless I had a modded Genesis controller to actually play the games as the stock controller, like the 5200 controller, like the Intellivision controller, is literally a pain to use.

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

For me the wonky controllers themselves aren't the real problem.

I agree. Now days anyone can go on Ebay and find all kinds of professional grade hardware out there, so anyone could make a custom joystick to satisfy ANY need or requirement. The 5200 has some really cool games that play well, the machines case is a work of art... hey, the 5200 just rocks.

• Like 1

For me, original controllers are part of the deal, for better or for worse. When we talk about experiencing the system firsthand, we usually talk about the console and cartridges, the visual appeal, the satisfying interaction with the two. But apart from inserting/removing cartridges and hitting the power switch, the only tangible interaction you can have with a video game system is with its controller, and the combination of that unique tactile sensation with the way the screen responds to your manipulations. It was that experience that defined a system as much as its games or hardware specifications.

I'd go so far as to say the controller is at least as important to the experience as the console and carts themselves, of not more. Think about it: how many people hate the Atari 5200 and Intellivision simply due to their controllers, who won't be swayed no matter how good their games are? Consoles and games can be emulated to a greater or lesser degree; the experience of original controllers--particularly funky nonstandard ones like Channel F, Astrocade, Intellivision, and Atari 5200--can't be duplicated on PC keyboards, and there aren't adapters for a lot of them.

With so many mods, hardware projects, emulators, homebrews, and other stuff available today, any system can be pretty much anything now. The original controller is one of the key pieces of its core identity. (Again, for better or for worse. ;))

I should add that I'm not saying anybody's wrong for using non-standard controllers or preferring emulation or any configuration other than a 100% authentic museum-exhibit setup. Play in whatever way that's enjoyable to you; that's the point, after all. :) These are just thoughts on original controllers as spoken by a purist. :-D

• Like 3