IGNORED

Storing consoles - cartridge in or out?

Any opinions (or - I can dream - evidence based research) on whether it makes a difference in storing consoles to keep a cartridge in or out? I'm talking medium to long term. Sometimes a console may go into one of my plastic storage bins and doesn't get played for a year or longer. I always keep a cartridge in place, but would it be better (for the console or the cart) to not do so?

• Like 1

I would say out.

The console connectors are bent pieces of metal. If you keep a cartidge in, there is a risk for the "spring" effect to lessen.

Also, if you get moisture in your storage boxes, corrosion might "glue" the connector and cart, (especially since they are usually in different metals) meaning you'll damage the connector when pulling the cart off.

• Like 3

So, if we're talking carts left in a consoles out on the entertainment stand in one's gameroom that aren't swapped out for several weeks to almost a year at a time they should be fine? Haven't played my Vectrex in many a moon but I leave a cart in it due to lack of a slot cover (same for my Jag).

Thanks

I would say out.

The console connectors are bent pieces of metal. If you keep a cartidge in, there is a risk for the "spring" effect to lessen.

Indeed. Springs kept under load for long periods are known to lose their strength. Engineers refer to it as "creep".

There was a discussion of this effect on console contacts here

I would say out.

Also, if you get moisture in your storage boxes, corrosion might "glue" the connector and cart, (especially since they are usually in different metals) meaning you'll damage the connector when pulling the cart off.

This- I'd much rather have to clean out some dust than worry about my console fusing to a title.

I will leave the cart in if I'm playing it, which usually involves the system being on at least every few days.

Every few days is okay. Every few weeks still is. If your consoel is going to sit unused for months, then it's better to remove the cart, but that's just my opinion.

It's hard to define a rule here, because not all console are made the same, with the same quality and connector.

Every few days is okay. Every few weeks still is. If your consoel is going to sit unused for months, then it's better to remove the cart, but that's just my opinion.

It's hard to define a rule here, because not all console are made the same, with the same quality and connector.

What about the folks that use flash carts and never remove them from the system?

Can't even remember the last time I removed the Power Pak from my NES. :P

• Like 1

I bet it's fine till you switch carts

Really most systems don't have suck ass cart ports like a front load nes and the metal isn't going to loose its.memory that fast

I have 20-30 year old computers with cards in them since day one and you can swap them in and out at will... Same contacts

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it depends on the console also.

I have a few with multicarts and it's just a straight plug in (like my O2 and my 7800).

I think of these almost like PC cards plugged into slots. I didn't worry about leaving my video card plugged into my PC. ;-)

I tend to leave the multicarts in, so I'm not too worried about those.

But I have an NES toaster (I don't do much NES stuff, only have a few games for it) that didn't work well when I got it.

So I replaced the 72 pin connector, and it seemed to be better.

I tried to remember not to leave a cart in it, but apparently I missed (or someone did) once, and it was a time when I didn't use it again for months.

So months go by, I decide to try it and see there is a cart still in it. Ooopps.. Can't remember if it worked with the game that was in it initially, but I do know that its back to it's problems.

Since that 72-pin connector is all spring, I assume leaving a cart in is really bad..

(It's also possible it was the cheap 72-pin connector or a combination of both..)

desiv

The difference being that you don't usually need to remove a PC card daily.

Most video game system connectors are standard industrial connectors at least in design, so you should be able to leave a cart in for long period of time. But other, like the NES one you cited, relies alot on the spring effect (and the NES even more since the pins are very long).

EArly Aatri 2600 cart connectors are know to be prone to failures too.

Edited by CatPix

The difference being that you don't usually need to remove a PC card daily.

Yep, and since I'm talking a multicart in those that I almost never remove, I figured they were pretty on par..

Agree on the NES tho.. And didn't know that about the early 2600's.. Good to know..

desiv