IGNORED

No Man's Sky

TPA5

Another thing that fascinates me is that what if he wasn't lieing and there was a build out there that has all the things he was talking about. And that build was pulled for some reason. Why did this happen?

Well if The True Center of the Universe DLC shows up at $29.99, along with a Multiplayer DLC for $14.99 and various Spacecraft DLC (that actually are unique from one another) at $4.99 apiece a few weeks from now, you'll know the reason!! LOL

• Like 3

Sounds like a legit business plan.

Sure it does, but someone would look less like a greedy, lying bastard if they didn't make it sound like all that was going to be included in the game at it's launch.

I wrote that as a joke, because going that route now would just piss most fans off even more than they already are. I have no doubt it could still be the plan though. Money is the most important reason to produce most games (and movies for that matter) these days.

• Like 2

Sure it does, but someone would look less like a greedy, lying bastard if they didn't make it sound like all that was going to be included in the game at it's launch.

I wrote that as a joke, because going that route now would just piss most fans off even more than they already are. I have no doubt it could still be the plan though. Money is the most important reason to produce most games (and movies for that matter) these days.

I'd like to hear Sean on that topic. Of course, his words would be taken with a huge, one-ton heavy grain of salt - still I'm curious what he has to say.

Money is the most important reason to produce most games (and movies for that matter) these days.

It certainly is, but the problem in my eyes is that they're trying to maximize profit per unit sold (60-300+ dollars after DLC) rather than trying to expand the actual audience, thus sales. Wouldn't matter even if they did focus on trying to attract new customers anyway since they'll still try to maximize the cost. If quality at launch hasn't been tanking the way it has for the last decade, with customers now being treated as the beta testers, I'd probably be more forgiving of the industry but such is the way of things. On the other hand my other hobbies (movies, retro games, music, books, etc) have been getting far more of my hobby budget for the last few years.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I got this on launch day. Not bad, but has room for improvement. It's sort of becoming stagnant, as I was hoping to run into alien cities, not just an outpost here and there. Though I am on a hostile planet that's making me a decent amount of units. It's littered with gravity balls and those metallic stones. I stopped there and went back to catch up on Fallout 4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Straight from slashdot:

o Man's Sky Under Investigation For False Advertising (polygon.com)90
Posted by msmash on Wednesday September 28, 2016 @02:48PM from the inventive-marketing dept.
No Man's Sky is one of the most talked about games this year. The game sees the protagonist explore the space and experience uncertain places. But its controversial promotional material may also have played an instrumental role in making the title a sleeper-hit success. Polygon reports:No Man's Sky's promotional material has come under fire since launch, and it's now the subject of an ongoing investigation. The U.K.-based Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) confirmed to Polygon that it's received "several complaints about No Man's Sky's advertising," which angry customers have criticized as misleading. "I can confirm we have received several complaints about No Man's Sky advertising and we have launched an investigation," the ASA told Polygon. A representative for the ASA declined to comment on the particulars of the investigation, but a thread on the No Man Sky's subreddit details some of the most prominent issues Steam users have with the game's store page, which they passed on to the organization. Screens and video on Steam suggest a different type of combat, unique buildings, "ship flying behaviour" and creature sizes than what's found in the actual game itself. The store page overall has also been criticized for showing No Man's Sky with higher quality graphics than can be attained in-game.
  • Like 3

I picked up the game and played it for about a month solid on it. I didn't follow the pre-release hype much so I didn't know what to expect.

At the end of the month of playing I managed to platinum the game and make it to the center of the universe. Now that my playtime has been satisfied, I don't plan on playing it again. Mind you, the thought of new dlc may get me to pick it up again.

Overall, I thought it was fun and relaxing.

• Like 1

I'm still playing it and enjoying it TBH.

Got my suit/ship/tool slots maxed out and am just exploring a bit on the way to the Atlas Path, which I can't really complete due to previous actions, but then i'll head to the centre.

Yep, there are deffo features missing compared to what was promised and I do hope they surface later on, as once i've made it to the centre I also feel I won't need to keep on playing. But i've definitely had my money's worth out of it.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Path Finder update gets released today and adds, among many other goodies, vehicles!

I've been playing this game on and off for a few months now. It does have the potential to get repetitive and boring but still manages to draw me in from time to time. I agree with the "fun and relaxing" assessment. Definitely not a hardcore shooter or action game but it certainly has a cool vibe that transports you. And with the added ability to race vehicles across the planets this has some real potential now. I'm excited. I'll have to update tonight so it's ready to play by the weekend.

Aside from all the nonsense crying about the game since it came out, for those who really understood their intent at release, plus the updates/fixes since would you feel that it's a solid experience? I was going to get it, but then backed off buying PS4 games, yet now it's on GoG as well so I'd snap it up on there when time allows.

Aside from all the nonsense crying about the game since it came out, for those who really understood their intent at release, plus the updates/fixes since would you feel that it's a solid experience? I was going to get it, but then backed off buying PS4 games, yet now it's on GoG as well so I'd snap it up on there when time allows.

Nonsense crying? So people who believed the developer when he said a multitude of features would be in the game which were completely absent at launch and are still absent are just crying over nothing? And all the people on Steam who looked at the screenshots and said "hey that looks cool" and downloaded a game that looked completely different is "nonsense crying". Unbelievable.

And all of these updates they have been adding to the game are not adding the most important features from the original trailers. Dynamically randomly generated creatures who travel in herds and are not just cut and paste jobs. Planets that actually orbit stars and spaceship factions. Instead we get to build little forts and race cars. Great.

Edited by deckardbr
  • Like 2

Yes I still feel it was mostly nonsense crying. The developer laid out what they would do, people kept hyping it beyond belief, and somehow they expected some HUGE package from a development team of what 4-6 people? To expect something you'd find on a crew of 100 put out by so few I found laughable. The developers largest fault in this was being overly transparent and open about what they were doing vs what they wish they could have been doing with the package and it backfired. The game itself is fine, but people got their hopes up well beyond reason given the workforce behind it.

• Like 1

I put a lot of hours into it after the previous update. But yeah, if you understand what the game is and isn't-- there is fun to be had. Lots of things to do:

Explore planets,

mine for resources,

upgrade your stuff,

trade,

fight pirates,

build out a base,

hire alien researchers for your base,

go on quests for your researchers to find rare materials so they can give you new blueprints for things to expand your base,

build farms to grow resources.

buy ships (and look for just the right ship to buy as they are procedurally generated too),

buy a freighter (again looking for just the right one),

build a base inside the freighter,

fight sentinels

discover and name plants and animals

follow the atlas path

not to mention all the cool photos you find yourself taking when you find pretty planets

And that's not even including the new things in yesterday's update!

Edited by zzip

Yes I still feel it was mostly nonsense crying. The developer laid out what they would do, people kept hyping it beyond belief, and somehow they expected some HUGE package from a development team of what 4-6 people? To expect something you'd find on a crew of 100 put out by so few I found laughable. The developers largest fault in this was being overly transparent and open about what they were doing vs what they wish they could have been doing with the package and it backfired. The game itself is fine, but people got their hopes up well beyond reason given the workforce behind it.

I agree with this. Expectations were too high. Hype was out of control.

Also before release, the biggest criticism of the game was "What do you even do? They haven't explained the game". After release it was "Everything they told us about the game was a lie". Both are hyperbole and contradict each other.. If you watched one of the videos where Sean actually plays the game live prerelease, such as the "IGN first" one, the game he played is essentially the game we got with some minor changes (like he had to use a transmission tower to upload his discoveries. That's no longer required). He was always iffy when asked about multiplayer.

The only criticisms I see as valid was that it shouldn't have been marketed as a $60 AAA title when it is clearly an indie game by a small studio. And they should have made it clear before launch that some content would be coming later for free-- in other words manage expectations better. Also for multiplayer, he should have said something like "we are looking into it" rather than the wishy-washy answers he gave.

I love the idea of open-world, do anything games ... but it's difficult not to feel like you're wasting your time in a procedurally generated, same-y kind of environment with no explicit goals.

I want to make some time to try it again with the new update. It's will need to compete with Zelda for my precious gaming time.

• Like 1

The only criticisms I see as valid was that it shouldn't have been marketed as a $60 AAA title when it is clearly an indie game by a small studio. And they should have made it clear before launch that some content would be coming later for free-- in other words manage expectations better.

Agreed about this. Though I got what I paid for -- nice controls, beautiful Sci-Fi paperback book graphics, go anywhere gameplay, endless space tourism.

It's probably for the best I didn't look too hard at the preview movies.

Also before release, the biggest criticism of the game was "What do you even do? They haven't explained the game". After release it was "Everything they told us about the game was a lie". Both are hyperbole and contradict each other..

When the vast majority of what you were told will be in the game aren't in the game at launch, then "everything they told us about the game was a lie." is valid.

I don't particularly remember many people complaining about not explaining the game prior to launch though. The stated goal was pretty simple - get to the center of the galaxy. They didn't explain all the ins and outs of how and why you had to do it though I guess.

As for it being way overhyped, like most things about the game, you can blame it on the developer for saying anything and everything they could think of to generate interest in the game. "Oh yes you can do that. Yes that's going to be possible. These types of things will happen." etc. When at launch virtually none of that was possible.

I'd kinda wonder if they would have bothered to add all the extra content with the patches since launch if there wasn't a massive outcry about it, but that's just my opinion.

I've been noticing the physical copies of the game for the PS4 have been dropping at gamestop, so there might be a time when I'll decide to pick it up - but at 31 dollars it's STILL too expensive for my blood.

• Like 1