IGNORED

Sys-Check V2.2 ready-to-use batch available

tf_hh

15 hours ago, tf_hh said:

Since some years I used only genuine Raspberry Pi PSUs for my Ataris. Never was disappointed so far.

I know there are some variations in Raspberry Pi PSUs.  What specs do you prefer, given the power requirements of the computer, Sys-Check 2, and the other assorted SIO devices most of us are also plugging into our 8-bits these days.

27w 5.5A

20w 4A

15w 3A

9 hours ago, nurmix said:

I know there are some variations in Raspberry Pi PSUs.  What specs do you prefer, given the power requirements of the computer, Sys-Check 2, and the other assorted SIO devices most of us are also plugging into our 8-bits these days.

27w 5.5A

20w 4A

15w 3A

15 watts / 3A is absolute enough!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I had another interesting problem with the same 800XL that Sys-Check helped me get going a few days ago.

My childhood 800XL that I referenced earlier in this thread, seemed to be working fine once I replaced that weak USB power supply.  Its RAM passed the Sys-Check diagnostic, running in a loop for over an hour.  And it passed all the Super Salt tests, also running on a loop for about an hour.  So I decided to set up Sys-Check as RAM expansion (an awesome feature, I have to say), to try out some demos and games that require more than 64K.

One of the things I ran was the eXtended RAM Test 0.21.0 from Satantronic, to check the 512KB RAM that's on the Sys-Check board.  I'm running it from an AtariMax 8Mbit flash cartridge.  When I ran it on my other 8-bits (three other 800XLs, and one 130XE), the test sees the Sys-Check as 32 banks / 512KB.  Running the extended RAM test on those machines showed the RAM on the Sys-Check was good.

But when I loaded up the extended RAM test on my childhood 800XL it showed 33 banks / 528KB!?  And running the test resulted in a garbled screen shortly after starting it.  WTF!?

So I did more troubleshooting, re-seating and swapping of ICs with one of my other 800XLs.  I already knew the 6502C was good, as I replaced that when I first took this 800XL out of storage last month, and it was powering on to a black (and sometimes white) screen.  But here's what else I did:

• I configured Sys-Check to use its version of Atari OS, and also tried it using the Atari’s own OS - no change
  • Replaced my original ANTIC (C012296-31) with an XL/XE ANTIC from a 130XE (C021697-31) - no change
  • Swapped the MMU from another 800XL - no change
  • Removed, cleaned, reseated POKEY, GTIA, PIA - no change
  • Removed OS and BASIC, swapped in ones from another 800XL - no change
  • I also tested all the removed chips in another 800XL - they were all fine on that computer

The extended RAM test still showed 33 banks / 528KB!?  And running the test still resulted in a garbled screen shortly after starting it.  Grrr!

So I started searching and reading the forums for some clues, and I stumbled on a thread from @Beeblebrox about his trials and tribulations with a 600XL and a red screen.

The next day I removed the PIA, and put in one I got from Best Electronics, and ran the eXtended RAM Test again, and this time, it correctly showed 32 banks / 512KB, and the test ran all the way through - multiple times - all good.  Just to confirm, I put the suspect PIA in another 800XL, loaded the extended RAM test, and now that 800XL was showing 33 banks / 528KB.  Yep, definitely a bad PIA.  I never knew they could cause issues with extended RAM.  I'm not sure what other trouble it may have been causing, as the computer seemed to be running fine otherwise.

So there you go, another tale of a bad PIA.  And I wouldn't have found it without trying to test Sys-Check's RAM, and reading the post from @Beeblebrox.

Some pictures of the problem below...

IMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nurmix said:

Well, I had another interesting problem with the same 800XL that Sys-Check helped me get going a few days ago.

[...]

The extended RAM test still showed 33 banks / 528KB!?  And running the test still resulted in a garbled screen shortly after starting it.  Grrr!

The next day I removed the PIA, and put in one I got from Best Electronics, and ran the eXtended RAM Test again, and this time, it correctly showed 32 banks / 512KB, and the test ran all the way through - multiple times - all good.  Just to confirm, I put the suspect PIA in another 800XL, loaded the extended RAM test, and now that 800XL was showing 33 banks / 528KB.  Yep, definitely a bad PIA.  I never knew they could cause issues with extended RAM.  I'm not sure what other trouble it may have been causing, as the computer seemed to be running fine otherwise.

So there you go, another tale of a bad PIA.  And I wouldn't have found it without trying to test Sys-Check's RAM, and reading the post from @Beeblebrox.

I´ve had this issue also a few times. Interestingly the "wrong" report of the extended memory size will only happen using XRAM 0.21. Maybe this is based on the fact that the software theoretically can detect 4 MB switched memory using Port-B, although I never seen or heard of such a solution in real.

Background: Sys-Check doesn´t require a working PIA at least. As other external memory solutions it grabs the access to $D301 and latches the desired bank by itself. So it´s not dependend what the PIA itself is signalling at their port-B pins. I don´t know how the memory detection routine of XRAM is working, but it detects sometimes memory wrong. When you use other extended memory tests you will get a different result.

Nevertheless it´s for sure that this PIA has a defect and exchanging it will cure the problem. But a wrong detection screen of XRAM can also be based on a simple software problem sometimes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tf_hh said:

I´ve had this issue also a few times. Interestingly the "wrong" report of the extended memory size will only happen using XRAM 0.21. Maybe this is based on the fact that the software theoretically can detect 4 MB switched memory using Port-B, although I never seen or heard of such a solution in real.

Background: Sys-Check doesn´t require a working PIA at least. As other external memory solutions it grabs the access to $D301 and latches the desired bank by itself. So it´s not dependend what the PIA itself is signalling at their port-B pins. I don´t know how the memory detection routine of XRAM is working, but it detects sometimes memory wrong. When you use other extended memory tests you will get a different result.

Nevertheless it´s for sure that this PIA has a defect and exchanging it will cure the problem. But a wrong detection screen of XRAM can also be based on a simple software problem sometimes.

Interesting.  Thanks for the information.  Yes, I kept the replacement PIA in the computer, and all is fine now 👍🏼

And the Sys-Check 2.2 is working great as extended RAM.  I’ve been checking out quite a few newer demos and games that require extra RAM.  It’s a good preview before I install U1MB 😁