IGNORED

Robotron 64 Atari Jaguar port

WAVE 1 GAMES

I have no issue playing early 3d games, i actually play more stuff on my PS1/Sat/N64, than the newer systems i own PS2/DC/GC. Right now i am on a kart racing game mood, and the PS1 gen seems to be the best for kart racing games. I still think the PS1 Crash Team Racing and Speed Punks look amazing, and love the mostly gouraud shadded look of Diddy Kong Racing on N64, low frame rate and all.

Its just that if there was a version of Robotron for the Jaguar, i would rather have a prettier version of the original, rather than a port of Robotron 64. But hey, if it was actually going to happen and someone would actually port the later to the Jag, i would support it too. A new release is a new release, hehe.

Sorry that angry face wasn't for you, just for the situation going on out in the world for early 3D titles. :)

I'd like to see another Kart racer on the Jaguar, I don't hate Atari Karts but I do find it very plain despite a good engine. Idk "Better Steering" feels kind of weak as a powerup and I'd like more offensive abilities.

Well it just stands to reason to use 3D sprites, I don't know what I was thinking with polygonal units. :dunce: I think I just wanted to make better version of the 64 models, I actually hate a lot polygonal graphics too, some are quite hideous and confusing when you've tried low poly modeling and done better.

@BladeJunker, Yes that particular style of game is very appealing to me. I have always loved 3D sprites mixed with polygons and 3D environments. I played the game you mentioned Bug! after I started working on DKQ3D and yes, I actually did take some notes from it. I don't want to say Bug! inspired the game because obviously DKC2 is what inspired it, but it did influence it and it's strange that you were able to see that. Very good! Some other good examples of 3D sprites mixed with 3d environments are, Mario Kart 64, Mischief Makers, Killer Instinct Gold, Clayfighter 63 and whatever its called and Ms Pac Man maze madness for N64/PS1/DC.. I'm pretty excited about doing a Jaguar game, even if it's only Crazy Kong Country and nothing more. I always loved my Jaguar and I'm happy to see people are still behind it after so many years.

Regarding Retropia on the Jag, that view angle you were proposing, I seem to recall an old arcade game where a ship flys to the right at that angle and it's traveling through corridors and booby traps shooting stuff. I can't think of the name of it but it seemed isometric in a sense and I want to say it was made by Sega.... I wonder what that game was called. Anyway I probably could eventually try doing Retropia in that fasion but I really don't think it would be worth it and I'm sure I would have to cut back on all the animated textures and if I did that it wouldn't be RETROPIA anymore.

So definitely going to try and turn Jungle Jag into Crazy Kong Country and probably going to try my hand at Robotron as well. I know I will be replacing those gems you collect in Jungle Jag with the K O N G letters and I know the 2 enemies I will put in will be the Zinger and Slippa to replace the caveman and green snake.

post-45896-0-65532200-1461055095_thumb.png

@BladeJunker, Yes that particular style of game is very appealing to me. I have always loved 3D sprites mixed with polygons and 3D environments. I played the game you mentioned Bug! after I started working on DKQ3D and yes, I actually did take some notes from it. I don't want to say Bug! inspired the game because obviously DKC2 is what inspired it, but it did influence it and it's strange that you were able to see that. Very good! Some other good examples of 3D sprites mixed with 3d environments are, Mario Kart 64, Mischief Makers, Killer Instinct Gold, Clayfighter 63 and whatever its called and Ms Pac Man maze madness for N64/PS1/DC.. I'm pretty excited about doing a Jaguar game, even if it's only Crazy Kong Country and nothing more. I always loved my Jaguar and I'm happy to see people are still behind it after so many years.

Well other than Bug! would probably recommend MDK as reference, it only uses a sprite for the main character but I think it is done well.

I guess it is a testament to how well they integrated sprites on the N64 that it doesn't get brought up much, it matched so well with the polygonal elements. I'd say a lot of 90s PC 2.5D FPS games have visual cohesion problems, I think it comes from the wide range of sources used like stop motion, live action, photos, hand drawn art all mixed up in a pot.

So you had a Jaguar bitd? Even when it was new I didn't dislike it, Wolf3D was really good but I was young with little money so I waited going from Genesis to PS1.

Here's a post I did over at Sega-16 about 3D Sprite Armatures that you may find interesting, I suck at rigging and haven't learned to model high detail well so I haven't got it past concept phase.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?28140-3D-Sprite-Armature

Regarding Retropia on the Jag, that view angle you were proposing, I seem to recall an old arcade game where a ship flys to the right at that angle and it's traveling through corridors and booby traps shooting stuff. I can't think of the name of it but it seemed isometric in a sense and I want to say it was made by Sega.... I wonder what that game was called. Anyway I probably could eventually try doing Retropia in that fasion but I really don't think it would be worth it and I'm sure I would have to cut back on all the animated textures and if I did that it wouldn't be RETROPIA anymore.

So definitely going to try and turn Jungle Jag into Crazy Kong Country and probably going to try my hand at Robotron as well. I know I will be replacing those gems you collect in Jungle Jag with the K O N G letters and I know the 2 enemies I will put in will be the Zinger and Slippa to replace the caveman and green snake.

Yeah I can't remember the name either, starts with a Z I think. ;) Well you have a lot of sprite data but I wouldn't outrule animated textures, probably not as good but possible. I wonder if the JagCD could stream animated texture maps, of coarse then where would music come from? Idk

Sounds good, good luck with your work on CKC. :)