IGNORED

Robotron 64 Atari Jaguar port

WAVE 1 GAMES

I think Robotron 64 for the N64 could be ported over to the jaguar. Theres no reason why the Jaguar cant handle that game. If anybody has the development skills and a dev unit and would be willing to make the engine, i could rip all of the assets from the N64 game. Then said project could be presented to a publisher such as reboot or songbird. The only thing im not sure about is the copywrite of Robotron. Im thinking maybe this could still be done with permission from Netherrealm studios or WB games. Thoughts?

I don't know man, it looks pretty tough, been looking and even the worst 3D engines wouldn't have many polygons.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/19187-real-jaguar-polygonss-count-voxels/

From what I'm seeing very few want to tackle 3D Jaguar games, it's just hard enough to be cumbersome. Probably a better chance of the original or maybe a 2D version of the 64 version.

I guess it would help by dropping all texture mapping and Gouraud shading, using flat shaded vertex colored polygons only. Also the distance of camera helps with fill rate woes usually.

Could do the usual and have 1 D-pad control along with the option to use both D-pads with 2 gamepads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DhxguHzwqo

I see the appeal of it, if it could be done I think a lot of Jaguar players would like it. :)

Well as you may know from total carnage, using the Jags number pad for directional shooting works just as well or better than an analog stick ;)

Oh really neat, wasn't sure it worked in conjunction with the other controls at the same time. 15 pins must add enough separation.

robotron 64 looks like a perfect example of 3d for the sake of it, adding nothing and making aiming more difficult.

meh.

Oh sure lots of stuff like that from this time made into polygons for no particular reason. At least it still is recognizable, a lot of those 3D versions lost there roots. What did you have in mind for an update, maybe some 2D prerendered CG sprites?

Gee I haven't played the 64 one, what makes the aiming harder, maybe it could be fixed? :ponder:

Oh sure lots of stuff like that from this time made into polygons for no particular reason. At least it still is recognizable, a lot of those 3D versions lost there roots. What did you have in mind for an update, maybe some 2D prerendered CG sprites?

Gee I haven't played the 64 one, what makes the aiming harder, maybe it could be fixed? :ponder:

What makes you think an absolute arcade classic... no legend... needs to be "fixed" ?

• Like 1

@Jeffrey_Bones:Not sure if your aware of it, but Jeff Minter did comment on how he personally would of liked to of done a Robotron game on the Jaguar, but decision wasn't his to make:

(Yak):'.... As for what's next, well, I will have to talk to the bossdude come the end of D2K. There was talk of Major Havoc.. (although I wouldn't mind the Robotron thang... and Sinistar... yeah... *I HUNGER!!!!* '.

Odd as it sounds given how Robotron made it to the Lynx and how fantastic Llamatron was on the ST, there didn't seem to be much of a push to update the game on Jaguar from Atari for some reason.

I'd of personally thought it was a much higher profile name than Major Havoc myself....

• Like 1

The N64 one needs erasing from history. And yes, but only slightly ;)

Dayum, harsh fate. Cheap game to buy I see looking at sites so not popular, what makes it so bad? For me I'm not fond of the "baby head man" look of the player character in the N64 one, sometimes the source material doesn't scale up well even though the sprite looks a bit like that.

I like this version by Opt2not, I'd wear a helmet too fighting robots. :lol:

RobotronPlayer.jpg

robotron_enemies.jpg

Llamatron looks like it scratches the same itch, strange theme though. :?

robotr.gif

robotron_5.JPG

The N64 version got great reviews, I don't know what you guys are talking about. You must be talking about Robotron X for the Playstation. It is not just a 3D version that brings nothing new to the table only for the sake of being 3D. Erasing it from history? are you serious? Here is what it brings to the table if you actually play it you will see, 200 new levels all with their own name. 2 boss battles, several bonus levels, several different power ups including a flamethrower, and a techno soundtrack unmatched by any other game. It is one of the best remakes of any kind out there. Don't take my word for it, go read ANY review for the game. Or even better, PLAY IT.

The N64 version got great reviews, I don't know what you guys are talking about. You must be talking about Robotron X for the Playstation. It is not just a 3D version that brings nothing new to the table only for the sake of being 3D. Erasing it from history? are you serious? Here is what it brings to the table if you actually play it you will see, 200 new levels all with their own name. 2 boss battles, several bonus levels, several different power ups including a flamethrower, and a techno soundtrack unmatched by any other game. It is one of the best remakes of any kind out there. Don't take my word for it, go read ANY review for the game. Or even better, PLAY IT.

Each to their own.

Each to their own.

I'd really like to hear what you don't like about it, seriously for objective review, I'm indifferent to Robotron 64. Maybe you or anybody I inquired to could PM me some notes, I hadn't considered you're probably avoiding flame wars with fans. Doesn't bother me but I understand if you don't want a public posting. :)

I'm just curious. A lot of people tend to ask for classic games made into new versions but I don't think they really think it all the way through. :ponder:

I recently played the PS1 version again for the first time in many years. I used to play it a bit and boy has it aged poorly. The middling framerate and 'slippery' controls make it harder than it should be. They're not quite the deal breaker as the basis for a good addictive twitchy arcade shmup is there, but it does miss the mark by a fair margin. I may have recently picked up the n64 version (not sure) so I might give that a go sometime.

For those who are suggesting that Llamatron has a 'strange theme' or are even suggesting that Robotron X is a better game than Llamatron, all I can say is play the thing (preferably with two joysticks). Llamatron is, in my humble opinion, better than the Eugene Jarvis original. It is probably the best Robotron clone ever released and, again in my opinion, the 3D remakes of Robotron aren't even in the same ballpark.

BUT - back in the day I too had the same thoughts with regard to it's suitability for the Jag. There's nothing stopping a 'decent' existing 3D engine for the Jagu being used a basic for a top down arena shooter. The Iron Soldier / IS 2 engine would work I reckon, as would the Battlemorph engine (IIRC there's a top down view in that). Whether such things are available or easily modifiable is another thing entirely though.

I personally can't wait to buy Llamatron :)

Edited by skip
  • Like 8