IGNORED

TI-99/4A Megademo

orbitaldecay

A Doom style game on the TI?!? That would be killer for sure.... but... while we have a ton of talent here in our little community, do you think anybody here really has the chops to pull something like that off? No disrespect intended towards anyone here or their talents, it's that I'm thinking about how much coding would be involved, how tight the code would have to be to pack everything necessary to that game in there, and that's using a 1meg SAMS and/or possibly a 2048K cartridge, or possibly both? However, considering the amount of time someone would have to devote to a project like this, it would be mind blowingly long. I just can't fathom it.

Edited by --- Ω ---

Great minds think alike Ciro! I burned my copy earlier today too, but had to wait to make the label because I was missing a graphic.

yes i guessed about 32k too... but i was undecided whether to add 32k text or leave the original label...

probably i will add in future ;) ...still undecided :P

With permission I am building these carts for those of you that don't want to burn your own roms etc.. Labels are on order so there's a little lead time.. I can ship without label if you want it right away.

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/2017-MEGADEMO-Solid-State-Cartridge-Dont-Mess-with-Texas-32k-required/p/79125319/category=12497082

Okay... first, please forgive me. Recording from CRT is a magic which I have not mastered. Second, I hope this is a adequate showing of how the MegaDemo looks and sounds on real iron, complete with TI monitor.

What I found neat during playback and conversion to FLV is how some parts show a little artifacting which give hints as to how the effects were done. From my perspective, the fun is trying to figure out how some of the effects were done without looking at any source.

The TI-99/4A MegaDemo on real iron

(Oh, and I had to cut the bit-rate down to fit into the AA upload limit. I will probably put a better video up on my own site next weekend.)

The best kind of recognition must be when people flat out refuse to believe it is real, that it must be some kind of tweaked emulator or at least a co-processor in the memory expansion that makes it possible.

Yes! I was so happy when I read this in the ycombinator thread:

OK for the 2017 demo, but the TMS9900 was slower than the Z80/6502 of the same time, because it was a 16-bit microprocessor with a 8-bit bus, and registers were mapped to the RAM. This demo required power, and is very far from all other TI99/4A games, and most of them were written in assembly (the basic was too slow). So I still think it's a fake, or it is running on a deeply modified emulator, or with hardware extensions listed in the wikipedia page * ) but it's not a "vanilla" TI/994A.

• Like 3

I guess it depends on what HE thinks "vanilla" means. It will not run on a stock console but it does run on all TI hardware (32k, for instance.)

(After a quick read I see someone else pointed that out, as well.)

I am curious to see it run from floppy with my SAMS.

:) I suppose it depends on what his definition of 'vanilla' is. Sure, it will not run on a 'bare bones' console, because it requires a 32K expansion, to me that's not cheating. Sure, to run 'smoothly' it requires a little help from a cartridge that did not exist back in the day or a third party memory card to do a little buffering, BUT if your definition of 'vanilla' is STOCK HARDWARE, sure it'll still run on a basic box.

Looks like we were thinking along the same lines OLD CS1... you must have an excellent mind! :D

Edited by --- Ω ---

I missed the post on Hacker News (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13520789), but sadly there was some confusion and misinformation in the comments. Thank you orbitaldecay for clearing things up! One comment mentioned that the description on the youtube video did not have any links or info about the creation of the demo. I have not checked yet, but if that is the case then I think whoever posted it needs to add some details.

• Like 1