IGNORED

TI-99/4A Megademo

orbitaldecay

I was considering leaving this running on a system at Fest West this year, sadly there is no provision to put it in "loop mode".

I'd love to get my hands on a hacked cartridge version with a 3rd selection with that provision. HINT HINT

(You know me always wanting more.) | :)

From readme.txt:

For continuous run (such as at shows), leave Alpha Lock UP and the demo will repeat when it reaches the end.

BTW, the YouTube video has been viewed over 15,000 times now.

• Like 7

Anyone tried running it on a 9938/9958 system? Doesn't seem to work for me.

Good that you're asking. I intended to run it on my Geneve next weekend, and I tried MAME's Geneve emulation first. But some subdemos don't work, in particular the scanline effects. I was wondering whether the 9938 emulation was buggy. Anyway, I'll try on my real Geneve.

What's funny is when I did the "unroll to memory expansion and execute" with Neverlander many years ago, we wondered how bad the copy experience was going to be. It quite surprised Tursi and I with just how fast it was. Now, its a preferred method to offload stuff to 32K and probably SAMS (although I haven't seen the SAMS code for the demo yet.)

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

I believe the MSX1 has 64K RAM as standard (and a faster processor).

The amount of RAM depends. I believe the standard defined that a MSX compatible computer must have at least 8 kB of RAM. Very few manufacturers went that low, because even though RAM chips were a bit pricy back then, other production costs would drive up the price too much anyway. However it is not rare to see 16K and in particular 32K MSX1 computers. Most of those still around may be 64K models though.

I confirm, but 8KB models are very rare (and cannot run almost anything). The most part of Konami games on cartridge was able to run on machines with at least 16KB of ram, but at least in the first years, the most common size of ram was 32KB. Plain 32KB models, without a 64KB expansion, were able to support disk drives only from basic. Msxdos (very close to cp/m and almost totally compatible with it) works only with 64KB ram in the same slot, that had become common in later msx1 models

Edited by artrag

Anyway, I'll try on my real Geneve.

Been there, done it. As it seems, the megademo crashes my Geneve near the end of the demo where the screen is red, and there are black discs circling around (at 3:20 in the Youtube clip), reproducibly. I do not see these black squares filling up the screen at the end of this sub-demo; rather, the screen turns blue with white discs and a few white blocks, then black, then the sound halts with a continuous noise, and that's it.

Unfortunately, the Geneve emulation in MAME gets a bit further, but the following Doom demo is also broken (walls are not moving, no menu in the lower part), and it finds its ultimate end when the scanline tricks show up.

(You know what I mean by "unfortunately" ;-) )

The 99/4A can actually overrun the VDP, but it takes code running in the scratch-pad memory (16-bit, no wait) using direct-to-VDP writes (i.e. not using very slow console routines). The code was posted in the forum back in 2012. But in general the way we typically hit the VDP, you can't overrun the VDP on the 99/4A.

I was wondering if you can overrun the VDP on the Geneve (writing too many bytes too fast)? Since you can't do it on the TI-99 we don't take any precautions against that.

We actually DID have an overrun in one place - I remember catching that one and fixing it. ;)

It would be interesting to see what the issue is, but I'm not terribly surprised it doesn't work. The 9938 and 9958 are not 100% compatible.

Have a look at my text in http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php?title=Geneve_video_wait_states; I once did some experiments to find out more about the wait state behavior. One thing to note is that the Geneve has its on-chip RAM at locations F000-F0FB and FFFC-FFFF; within this area, the READY line is not checked, so the CPU cannot be slowed down. When code happens to lie in those locations, it may cause trouble.

Have a look at my text in http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php?title=Geneve_video_wait_states; I once did some experiments to find out more about the wait state behavior. One thing to note is that the Geneve has its on-chip RAM at locations F000-F0FB and FFFC-FFFF; within this area, the READY line is not checked, so the CPU cannot be slowed down. When code happens to lie in those locations, it may cause trouble.

We use that area (>F000->FFFF) for music data in the demo, so no code should be running from there. The place in the demo where you say it crashes, nothing out of the ordinary seems to be happening there. Are there other known incompatibilities with the VDP or the Geneve in general?

Atrax has also reported than some of my games (Bouncy, Jet Set Willy, Sports Game, and Sabrewulf) don't work with the 9938. All are running fine on MAME in the EVPC configuration, but Sabrewulf seems to be missing the vsync. I have no idea why they wouldn't run.

Is the EVPC in MAME refreshing at 50Hz?

I don't know how difficult it would be to split the megademo into several single files, but that would be pretty interesting to find out more about the capabilities of the real and emulated v9938. In general, the v9938 emulation lacks a bit of the high quality of the TMS9928 emulation.