IGNORED

Stupid Things You Hear Collectors Say

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Listing an item with an outrageous BIN sometimes is ridiculous and sometimes obnoxious (if the item is being resold) If the item sells for that ridiculous amount it is worth that ridiculous amount.

Yes it is annoying and aggravating, however if there wasn't a market for it, it would not happen. The seller does not have the ability to create "demand" for an item.

• Like 2

Any negative comment about the Intellivision disc control. The disc is one of the best things about the Intellivision. I understand people don't like to change but its a great design especially for that time. Every controller now uses thumb control as did the Intellivision.

So I have a doozy for you. Had someone tell me today that "No game from the PS1 generation on, that's sold well, is worth any money as there are too many copies floating around".

I can't even begin to describe how absolutely ridiculous that statement is, especially considering Smash Brother's worth, which is also the N64's highest selling cart.

Have any you'd like to share?

No! That's what you want them to think!

Anything that deflates the collectards is good.

• Like 1

Indeed resellers are killing the hobby.

I also hate it when they say the NES saved computergaming, without the NES we wouldn't play computergames any more. It may have had a big impact on the US market, but not in Europe.

Right, it was Sony with the PlayStation that opened the mass market in Europe.

Well the hobby is far from dying. While some resellers may buy multiple copies of a game to drive the price up, fact is most people who cry and bitch over what prices are, are the same people who wouldn't pay the going rate anyhow. I mean if they would the resellers wouldn't be buying them all. Think about it, if you are not willing to pay going rate now you don't want it that bad.

Just buy it if you want it, stop complaining about it. Resellers are not killing the hobby. Fact is more people want these games than before and people are willing to pay for them. It's plain and simple. If the price is bad it will not sell. If the price is right :) they will sell. If you want to blame anyone blame Tim Berners-Lee for creating the internet.

Prices are not going down anytime soon. These games were available for purchase over the past 20-30 years and now people want to complain over not buying them back when they were $5.

This quote.

An item is only worth what someone is most people are willing to pay.

FYP.

One sale, or a dozen of sales for an outrageous price doesn't make a market.

As I mentionned somewhere else, about 3 years back in France, someone auctionned his collection of retrogaming items, on a famous, renowed auction place in Paris.

A Magnavox Odyssey : 2800€

A sealed copy of Goldneye N64 : 9800€

Yep, so now bring it on, those are the new market price.

Well no.

And steering the market is possible.

Stop buying from ratsellers. When they'll realize that the games they have stockpiled on are worth nothing, then they'll give up and find another market to cannibalize and ruin.

It's possible. Keep selling and buying between collectors. It's possible. There is a yearly even in France when people gather for 2 days to play retro games, buy and sell, trade, etc.

Expect to see NES and SNES sold for 20€, NES common carts for between 2 and 5€, PC-Engine games for 10€, etc... And dont try to sneak in to resell games... some people are banned from here forever :P

• Like 5

FYP.

One sale, or a dozen of sales for an outrageous price doesn't make a market.

As I mentionned somewhere else, about 3 years back in France, someone auctionned his collection of retrogaming items, on a famous, renowed auction place in Paris.

A Magnavox Odyssey : 2800€

A sealed copy of Goldneye N64 : 9800€

Yep, so now bring it on, those are the new market price.

Well no.

And steering the market is possible.

Stop buying from ratsellers. When they'll realize that the games they have stockpiled on are worth nothing, then they'll give up and find another market to cannibalize and ruin.

It's possible. Keep selling and buying between collectors. It's possible. There is a yearly even in France when people gather for 2 days to play retro games, buy and sell, trade, etc.

Expect to see NES and SNES sold for 20€, NES common carts for between 2 and 5€, PC-Engine games for 10€, etc... And dont try to sneak in to resell games... some people are banned from here forever :P

None of that changes the fact that an item is worth what someone is willing to pay.

• Like 2

Then, you should say "one item is worth what someone is willing to pay" and therefore, there are no market rules.

If I wanna pay 15 000$ for a loose NES, it certainly is my right, but it doesn't mean that all NES are worth this price.

• Like 2

Then, you should say "one item is worth what someone is willing to pay" and therefore, there are no market rules.

If I wanna pay 15 000$ for a loose NES, it certainly is my right, but it doesn't mean that all NES are worth this price.

I would have to assume anyone with half a brain would understand that it is implied to be "one" item. I have never seen any game sold for exactly same same amount every time, just as you wouldn't expect compel able used cars to sell for exactly the same time. I am not sure what market rules you are speaking of. In the US, the only rule is both the seller and buyer agree on a price and a transaction is then completed.

• Like 1

Some good ones here, but the absolute stupidest thing I've ever heard and continue to hear from muffins is: "I'll have to ask the wifey before I can make that purchase". :mad: :lol:

Another one that really gets me in this day and age, are people that ask to put off a purchase until so and so a date or "pay day". Used to be understandable when you paid with cash or a money order BITD, but since the age of PayPal and easy to obtain credit cards, WTF?! And then they end up paying with credit, Smart Connect or PayPal anyway. Again, WTF?! Stop that already! :lol:

• Like 3

I arrange deals a payday out often. If the seller is ok with that, it's convenient for me. I have bills to pay, and therefore a budget to be mindful of. Lol.

We all operate on a budget and have budgets. But unless people aren't understanding how credit works (it's been around for decades, so not sure why the confusion still), you typically have a 30 day grace period. Absolutely no reason why you can't make a purchasing decision now, then pay within 30 days at 0% interest. When it comes to PayPal, you can make that payment with just a few clicks of the mouse and a few seconds of your time at any given time at any given moment. Before, within or after the 30 days if you plan on stretching the payment out and don't mind paying interest.

But you hit the nail on the head when you say "it's convenient for me". It's just how a lot of people operate. How "convenient" is it for the other guy you're asking to hold something? Especially when a majority of "buyers" that ask such things of sellers end up flaking out before the very "terms" of their promise is ever realized. ;)

• Like 2

We all operate on a budget and have budgets. But unless people aren't understanding how credit works (it's been around for decades, so not sure why the confusion still), you typically have a 30 day grace period. Absolutely no reason why you can't make a purchasing decision now, then pay within 30 days at 0% interest. When it comes to PayPal, you can make that payment with just a few clicks of the mouse and a few seconds of your time at any given time at any given moment. Before, within or after the 30 days if you plan on stretching the payment out and don't mind paying interest.

But you hit the nail on the head when you say "it's convenient for me". It's just how a lot of people operate. How "convenient" is it for the other guy you're asking to hold something? Especially when a majority of "buyers" that ask such things of sellers end up flaking out before the very "terms" of their promise is ever realized. ;)

If it's inconvenient for the other guy, he can simply say no.

If it's inconvenient for the other guy, he can simply say no.

Of course! ;)

And btw: I have and will accept those kinds of terms once in a while for certain things or certain people. Just did in fact. Just seems a lot more common in forums for some strange reason and have been burned more times than I care to count by people promising to pay on pay day. PayPal has certainly helped curb much of that obviously, but… will always have your special circumstances still, despite it all.

Could throw people who refuse to accept checks or money orders anymore into the mix too. I'm fine waiting for a check to clear, but more people than not, consider *that* a hassle or inconvenience somehow today. A check in my hands is infinitely superior to sumguy's word that he's going to pay some day in the future. :lol:

Fact: never has someone written me a bad check. Ever in 30+ years. How many times have people scammed and/or tried to scam me using eBay and PayPal? Have lost count.

• Like 2

Some good ones here, but the absolute stupidest thing I've ever heard and continue to hear from muffins is: "I'll have to ask the wifey before I can make that purchase". :mad: :lol:

Another one that really gets me in this day and age, are people that ask to put off a purchase until so and so a date or "pay day". Used to be understandable when you paid with cash or a money order BITD, but since the age of PayPal and easy to obtain credit cards, WTF?! And then they end up paying with credit, Smart Connect or PayPal anyway. Again, WTF?! Stop that already! :lol:

you really think it's ridiculous that some men respect their wives enough to share their purchases and spending habits with them? Seems to me people who have to hide things from their spouses are up to no good.
  • Like 2

youre assuming everyone has spectacular credit and multiple credit cards.

Lol. White people are hilarious.

• Like 3