IGNORED

Stupid Things You Hear Collectors Say

"But you hit the nail on the head when you say "it's convenient for me". It's just how a lot of people operate. How "convenient" is it for the other guy you're asking to hold something? Especially when a majority of "buyers" that ask such things of sellers end up flaking out before the very "terms" of their promise is ever realized. ;)"

-People being flakes are a different problem.

I don't have the best credit, and therefore don't like using it, and don't have cards tied to my paypal. If it is inconvenient for the seller, they can say "no, I don't hold items." When that happens, I check back in when I have the funds on hand. If they still have it, we do a deal. If not, I keep hunting. I just bought an A/V Famicom from a guy in Japan who held it for me until I got paid. He's happy with the deal, and I've bought from him before, so I'm sure I'll be happy when the package arrives.

I have a general per-payday dollar amount that I play with, which lets me do things like say "Hey, I can afford to buy item X from you in a week (or however long until payday)" It's a communication issue, and setting up terms of the deal issue.

Edited by madhatter667

you really think it's ridiculous that some men respect their wives enough to share their purchases and spending habits with them? Seems to me people who have to hide things from their spouses are up to no good.

No need to twist this into some kind of slanted BS to suit a talking point that doesn't apply here.

Not about a lack of respect at all and please try to keep these comments within context and the confines of common sense, of which they are intended.

Let me ask you this… what kind of relationship do you have with someone where you're not comfortable making certain purchasing decisions without them? The person you're in a relationship with already knows you and your habits, right? They trust you, right? And you trust them?

The time I require input (not permission - there's a difference) on a large purchasing decision, I'll ask. When it's appropriate to do so of course and naturally. Do I ever sit and waste someone's time, then resort to telling them that I first need to get my wife's permission in order to make some kind of a purchase? Hell no. Is the excuse of "asking the wifey" just a ruse? A polite way of saying "no thanks"? Either way, it's BS and people need to re-learn how to be more honest with each other. Tough to do in today's climate of lie after lie after lie, I know. ;)

• Like 1

I would have to assume anyone with half a brain would understand that it is implied to be "one" item. I have never seen any game sold for exactly same same amount every time, just as you wouldn't expect compel able used cars to sell for exactly the same time. I am not sure what market rules you are speaking of. In the US, the only rule is both the seller and buyer agree on a price and a transaction is then completed.

Well unless I was told wrong, "an" is not a defined object, but can be any; so I assumed by when you said "an item" since we were talking about video game prices, it meant "the average selling price of all copies of this game".

Which explain the confusion.

So the problem was then that collectors refers to each other's most insane BIN and make it the "average normal price".

Edited by CatPix

No need to twist this into some kind of slanted BS to suit a talking point that doesn't apply here.

Not about a lack of respect at all and please try to keep these comments within context and the confines of common sense, of which they are intended.

Let me ask you this what kind of relationship do you have with someone where you're not comfortable making certain purchasing decisions without them? The person you're in a relationship with already knows you and your habits, right? They trust you, right? And you trust them?

The time I require input (not permission - there's a difference) on a large purchasing decision, I'll ask. When it's appropriate to do so of course and naturally. Do I ever sit and waste someone's time, then resort to telling them that I first need to get my wife's permission in order to make some kind of a purchase? Hell no. Is the excuse of "asking the wifey" just a ruse? A polite way of saying "no thanks"? Either way, it's BS and people need to re-learn how to be more honest with each other. Tough to do in today's climate of lie after lie after lie, I know. ;)

so you just think that "I need to ask the wife" is a more polite way of blowing your sale off?

Maybe you're asking too much.

Or maybe, their relationship is different than yours. Some people share more info than others. Some couples have joint accounts and see each other's purchases. Some aren't rich, so they need to plan "extra" purchases like retro games. Even smaller purchases. Some people aren't trying to hide stuff.

As for twisting anything, you're the only one here contorting the meanings of "I have to ask the wife" into something other than its literal meaning, because you're assuming what they said really meant something different.

It also sounds like you're incredibly impatient, and fairly condescending. Maybe that's why people give you "excuses".

Edited by 78001987

On the subject of Asking The Spouse: Who says it's about money? Maybe it's about space, or just impulse control. I have often deferred to my guy for 'permission' to get a new console- not because I specifically need it, I won't be dumped over it & it is my money. Because I want his level-headed input to counter my "look! Shiny!" impulses (which only rears up with game acquisitions.) Sometimes just being told "Why? What are you gonna play on it?" can help reel me in from buying something I don't really want to devote my limited shelf space to.

On the subject of holds: To each their own, but I'd never do it or ask someone else to. I've known too many people who shop very impulsively, and ask for holds on things they can't afford, only to keep spending whatever extra money they have on whatever shiny is nearby and extending the 'holds' indefinitely. Some people really do just need to get to payday, but I can't blame anyone for not wanting to. I don't have credit, either- I get around that by setting money aside for general game-buying. I just put whatever's left over from the discretionary spending aside at the end of the week, and use that for bigger buys. The seller doesn't have to wait, and I, knowing how long it took to save up the money, can be encouraged to try and slow down & look for better deals. Say, for example, asking my fiancé for permission so he can remind me why I don't need a new game right now.

I will say, regardless of anything else, I typically don't contact the seller until a serious offer is ready/imminent. While it can be nice to know if someone is interested, if you're asking your spouse for input/taking more than a few hours to assess your finances, you probably shouldn't be messaging them. Get that permission, do the math, THEN send the message. don't make them waste their time waiting for an offer that might not come.

• Like 1

So probably one of my favorite quotes from a collector went through the following interesting conversation.

"Yeah I am going for a full set for NES." collector.

"Thats cool do you have all the high end ones already?" me.

"Yup bought my boxed stadium events at a garage sale 3 years back and it cost me $800." collector.

"Nice hey is that any fun to play?" me.

"I don't play the games I just collect them."collector.

In the end we worked out some deals for some NES stuff but it makes me sad sometimes to hear some games will never get played.

• Like 4

In the end we worked out some deals for some NES stuff but it makes me sad sometimes to hear some games will never get played.

The pure collector mentality is hard for me to understand, too. But I guess it's no different than stamp, coin, or even art collections, really. Sometimes people collect stuff not to use or, in some cases, even spend time looking at (think of the wealthy art collector who has so many pieces they have to keep most of it in storage most of the time).

Whatever floats their boat is fine with me. It's just not my way.

I recently stumbled into a thread where someone was pre-announcing an announcement, which was that he was getting out of collecting, because there were so many new home-brews coming out, he could no longer afford to have a complete collection with 2 of everything. Oh, and he didn't have a job at the moment. But the main thing was the collection.

• Like 3

Some seem to forget that there is also a culture difference in using a credit card. A lot of European people haven't got a credit card. A lot of people over here are used to the fact, that can only buy something, when you got the cash at hand. It's starting to shift a bit because of the internet, but there is still a hugh difference.

So that's why they may ask if you would hold on to an item until they get paid.

For me that still doesn't make sence, if i want something, i only check adds and the internet, when i do have money for it. If i know i cannot spend extra cash this month, i don't look.

• Like 1

Can you understand it for those who intend to open it and valued it more than already opened ones because they wanted it in unused condition?

I get this - and I agree it's nice to be able to open a previously unsealed game, but I've been burned by obviously re-shrink-wrapped previously opened ones that I tend to doubt the veracity of "still in shrink wrap" condition.

I still can't fathom buying them and not opening or playing them though.

Some seem to forget that there is also a culture difference in using a credit card. A lot of European people haven't got a credit card. A lot of people over here are used to the fact, that can only buy something, when you got the cash at hand. It's starting to shift a bit because of the internet, but there is still a hugh difference.

So that's why they may ask if you would hold on to an item until they get paid.

For me that still doesn't make sence, if i want something, i only check adds and the internet, when i do have money for it. If i know i cannot spend extra cash this month, i don't look.

Not to mention, Paypal basically scolds you up and down on every purchase when you use a credit card only, and they won't even "verify" your account unless you link it to your checking account.

you really think it's ridiculous that some men respect their wives enough to share their purchases and spending habits with them? Seems to me people who have to hide things from their spouses are up to no good.

youre assuming everyone has spectacular credit and multiple credit cards.

Lol. White people are hilarious.

Agreed on both counts! The misses and I are on pretty tight budgets so we always run all our discretionary purchases by each other first. We both have non-existent credit too, so there's no such thing as buying now and paying later around here.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

So probably one of my favorite quotes from a collector went through the following interesting conversation.

"Yeah I am going for a full set for NES." collector.

"Thats cool do you have all the high end ones already?" me.

"Yup bought my boxed stadium events at a garage sale 3 years back and it cost me $800." collector.

"Nice hey is that any fun to play?" me.

"I don't play the games I just collect them."collector.

Unfortunately, there is a big difference between collector and gamer, these days. I can't imagine collecting anything without having the passion to want to use the product. That would be like collecting classic cars, but never driving them. What's the point? If you have passion for the product, wouldn't you want to use it for what it was intended for? If all you want is the cart and sticker art, buy a bunch of copies of Action Pro Football and make some new stickers to slap on the front, and save yourself the time and money.

I get this - and I agree it's nice to be able to open a previously unsealed game, but I've been burned by obviously re-shrink-wrapped previously opened ones that I tend to doubt the veracity of "still in shrink wrap" condition.

I still can't fathom buying them and not opening or playing them though.

I agree. I see where he was coming from, but it rarely works out. For a short period of time, I was only collecting "new sealed" controllers as I wanted pads that no one else had used. After being burned 5 times in a row, I just gave up in search of finding used pads in mint condition. It wasn't worth the money I was spending on the "sealed" ones, and most of the time the pads in those "sealed" boxes were much MUCH worse than lose ones for pennies on the dollar.

The best part would be when you brought this to the attention of the seller. And of course they'd claim, and maybe were telling the truth, that they bought it from someone sealed and obviously never opened it to check to see if it was legit as it would hurt the value. Proof that people do things like that all the time with the assumption that they'll never be opened if they reshrink wrap old hardware and software.

I know this will make some people cringe probably but I am looking forward to opening some of the sealed games I have just so I can go through it and see what was inside and share it with as many people as I can. That is just something I enjoy doing. Then playing the game just finishes off the feeling like being the topping on a sundae of tasty games.

I don't fault people wanting to collect sealed stuff either because if that's you passion and you like it then do it. You can always emulate the games or what not so enjoy the plastic cover and helpfully enjoy the game in whatever form you want.

I've probably accumulated more games than I will ever complete. Lol.

To some degree this makes me want to re-focus my Playstation, and Playstation2 collections. Not because I dislike any of the games that I have, but I have many. Of all the consoles, these two (or just the PS2 when back compatibility is taken into consideration) did the horror genre in spades. They are also the games I tend to gravitate towards the most on that platform. I suppose the key to trying to not swamp yourself is focus?

Indeed resellers are killing the hobby.

I also hate it when they say the NES saved computergaming, without the NES we wouldn't play computergames any more. It may have had a big impact on the US market, but not in Europe.

Indeed. Bullshit on the NES saving computer gaming. If it wasn't NES then some other console would have come along and accomplished the same thing.

"The Jaguar would have dominated the industry if X, Y, Z, A, B, and C."

I think the thing that drives me the craziest isn't usually explicitly said so much, but there's this attitute with the newer waves of collectors where they treat every console before 1985 as a series of necessary mistakes leading up to the NES.

Those collectards are a series of mistakes.

• Like 1